• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How much is your Mean Platelet Volume? MPV correlates with hypoxia

How much is your Mean Platelet Volume? MPV correlates with hypoxia

• Too high / Above the upper limit according to your lab

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Too low

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Normal but close to the upper limit according to your lab

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Normal

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

pattismith

1635698811179.png

dylemmaz

i have had elevated mean platelet volume in every one of my labs (10+ draws since being sick). i have asked doctors multiple times what it could mean, but i am never taken seriously.

i also have clear evidence of tissue hypoxia. my central venous oxygen saturation was very low (36%) when i was experiencing a severe episode of PEM.

my red blood cell distribution width has been consistently low, as well. something weird is happening with my blood.

i am waiting on a referral to a hematologist to address these things, but alas i expect to be dismissed

pattismith

@dylemmaz

high MPV is normal if you have some bleeding disorder. Once you have rule out any bleeding, high MPV means activated platelets: It can be related to hypoxia or inflammation or diabetes;

Do you have classic inflammatory markers?

If you don't have these markers, if you don't have diabetes, then you have to look for chronic or intermittent hypoxia.

Chronic hypoxia can happen with breathing obstruction for example.

Intermittent hypoxia can happen with bradypnea/hypopnea/apnea.

Do you have high bicarbonates in your blood (I mean bicarbonates close to the upper limit?)

dylemmaz

@dylemmaz

high MPV is normal if you have some bleeding disorder. Once you have rule out any bleeding, high MPV means activated platelets: It can be related to hypoxia or inflammation or diabetes;

Do you have classic inflammatory markers?

If you don't have these markers, if you don't have diabetes, then you have to look for chronic or intermittent hypoxia.

Chronic hypoxia can happen with breathing obstruction for example.

Intermittent hypoxia can happen with bradypnea/hypopnea/apnea.

Do you have high bicarbonates in your blood (I mean bicarbonates close to the upper limit?)
my ESR and CRP are completely normal. no signs of an inflammatory condition. my tumor necrosis factor is elevated however, not sure if that’s sensitive enough as an inflammatory marker

no diabetes. i also don’t believe i have breathing obstruction. i’ve had many x-rays and ct scans of my chest that were all normal. no lung function testing however, but i’m not sure anything would show there (never suffered with any symptoms that would lead me to pursue this avenue).

my carbon dioxide level is normal in every lab. pretty sure all bicarbonate testing has been normal (not even high normal)

pattismith

interestingly, they also found higher MPV in patient with orthostatic intolerance and found it correlated with sympathetic activation. (but orthostatic intolerance also correlates with some degree of brain hypoxia to my understanding).

Art. 1.1475/ringraziamenti (europeanreview.org)

In another study in Fibro patients, they found negative correlation between vitamin D status and MPV.

(note that low iron and low vitamin D are frequent in inflammatory bowel diseases)

Relationship between mean platelet volume and vitamin D deficiency in fibromyalgia | Request PDF (researchgate.net)

Learner1

MPV has ranged from 8.9 to 11.4 over past 4 years. No correlation with symptoms including POTS, inflammation markers, HBOT usage, and I'm not vitamin D deficient.