• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How much CoQ10 do you take?

SOC

I've been taking 200 mg for quite some time to only small effect. Recently I tried increasing to 800 mg and have noticed an increase in my PEM threshold, although with other things going on, I'm not certain the change in CoQ10 dosage is the reason.

I've read people taking as much as 1200-1500mg daily and am debating increasing my dosage again as an experiment.

What dosage have you found to be effective and also what problems have you had with CoQ10?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
One of my cousin's 2 children had Huntington's Disease and she used very high doses with them. I think they were taking 1200 mgs. I don't remember if there were any problems with them, only plusses.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I can't tolerate it at present, I was able to take quite a high dose but now for some reason my body rejects it totally.

tdog333

I was wondering because candida competes and uses up your CoQ10
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12606233

some more:
1. Safety of Ubiquinone

In many large-scale clinical trials, oral ubiquinone has been shown to be safe and efficacious at blood levels of about 4 ppm (considered pharmacologic and attained by 800 mg/day). In addition, even at levels of 80 ppm measured by the Japanese in 1984 with an IV ubiquinone preparation, only beneficial effects were reported. A new injectable liposomal ubiquinone is available from Eisai.

A caveat: in patients with alkalinized stomachs, oral Candida can colonize upper gut (potentially lethal); before prescribing ubiquinone, their physicians should study Marshall et al.[39] Our studies show that ubiquinone enhances growth of Candida Albicans.[40]
40. Krone CA, Elmer GW, Ely JTA, Fudenberg HH, Thoreson J: Does gastrointestinal Candida Albicans prevent ubiquinone absorption? Med Hypotheses in press.

2.CAUTION RE CANDIDA. In some people, absorption of supplemental Q10 from the gut may be very low (see FAQ in Langsjoen's "Introduction..."). We recently conducted a study supporting an Ely hypothesis (see Abstracts 17 and 19 below) that overgrowth of Candida Albicans in the gut may explain this problem. Although no side effects have been found for Q10 itself, certain classes of people who have Candida colonizing the region of gut just beyond the stomach (duodenum and proximal jejunum) are likely to encounter two problems. The orally supplemented Q10 may, all or in large part, be consumed by the Candida preventing the human host from elevating Q10 blood levels and gaining the expected benefits.

Of possibly much greater concern is this colonization which, from our recent study of the literature, we fear: (1) can result in high mortality unless corrected promptly; (2) has been recognized since the early 1980's and identified as a cause of multiple organ failure and other lethal syndromes (Joshi et al 1981; Roy and McCallum, 1984; Marshall et al, 1988);* (3) has gone unread because of both the time pressures on physicians today and the shear size of the 40 million pp/decade of indexed medical science research literature received at our library (it isn't possible to even turn 40 million pp in a decade); and (4) finally colonization occurs when Candida from the mouth are able to pass thru the stomach because its acid is reduced by any of numerous procedures still common today including over-the-counter proton pump inhibitors and even habitual use of antacid tablets.

*Joshi SN, Garvin PJ, Sunwoo YC. Candidiasis of the duodenum and jejunum. Gastroenterology 1981; 80: 829-33.
Roy A, McCallum RW. Candidiasis of the duodenum: the role of continuous cimetidine therapy. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 1984; 30: 47-8.
Marshall JC, Christou NV, Horn R, Meakins JL. The microbiology of multiple organ failure. The proximal gastrointestinal tract as an occult reservoir of pathogens. Arch Surg 1988; 123: 309-315.

http://www.health-truth.com/Co-Q10-and-Candida.html

Some people do a "parasite cleanse" using 3000 MG of CoQ10 taken once. Never heard of any bad effects so it seems pretty safe.

Last edited:

Hip

I have also noticed a PEM reducing effect of Q10, and I often take Q10 for this reason.

I find that you do not have to take Q10 daily to get this PEM-busting effect: you just need to take Q10 an hour before the exerting activity that you are about to partake in, and this I find prevents a lot of the PEM that you would normally experience when the activity is over. I use a dose of 400 mg of Q10 for this anti-PEM purpose.

I get ME/CFS PEM mainly from mental exertion (rarely from physical exertion), and for me, 3 or 4 hours of socializing with friends causes a lot of PEM the following day or two. However, if I take 400 mg of Q10 just before I begin this 3 or 4 hours of social activity, my PEM is noticeably reduced. Note that Q10 is most cheaply purchased in bulk powder form.

I also found two other medications with anti-PEM effects (ketoconazole 200 mg, and erythromycin 800 mg) but I am less sure about these, and I have to test them further before I can say for definite that they help minimize PEM.

PEM-busting supplements or drugs that you can take just before an exerting activity, so as to lower or prevent PEM, are really an unexplored area on this forum. I suspect there may be quite a few supplements and medications with anti-PEM effects, but nobody has properly noticed them.

In order to discover and identify any PEM-busting supplements, you would need to test them using an exerting activity you do on a regular basis, like say doing your regular weekend shopping (so that you know from past experience just how much PEM will arise from the activity), and then take a supplement like Q10 an hour before starting this regular activity, and see if you get less PEM than normal.

Last edited:

SOC

i cant say i notice much with q10 but will try higher doses. but i am noticing effects with acetyl carnitine
Isn't this the way with ME/CFS? I don't see any effect with acetyl carnitine. How much alcar do you take?

Hip

SO it would seem the whole PEM thing is more to do with mitochondria then infections/immune system??

It might perhaps be more to do with cytokines: IL-6 has been theoretically linked to PEM; see the following except from an article by Cort:
There are a number of really good reasons to think IL-6 might be involved in the post-exertional malaise experienced in ME/CFS. It’s actually produced from muscles and becomes elevated when muscles contract and, not surprisingly, IL-6 levels go up significantly during exercise. It is also produced by the smooth muscle cells that line the blood vessels – an interesting point given the possible vascular problems in CFS. Since it has pro-inflammatory characteristics it could contribute to the pain and flu-like feelings experienced in ME/CFS and it actually upregulates IL-10, a cytokine that has been shown to be elevated in ME/CFS studies. Plus, Il-6 levels go up in response to muscle damage.

Now it just so happens that Q10 inhibits IL-6, or at least does in the context of coronary artery disease.

Furthermore, macrolide antibiotics (like azithromycin and erythromycin) inhibit IL-6 (ref: here), and I found that erythromycin 800 mg seemed to have an anti-PEM effect, though I need to confirm this with more testing.

If IL-6 is the PEM mechanism, then perhaps other IL-6 inhibitors, taken just before the period of exertion, will also offer anti-PEM benefits.

Last edited:

Seven7

Seven
@SOC I did my best with CO10 at 800mg a day, You can actually go up a lot. AND IT WORKS the problem is COST COST COST, the only reason I stooped the high doses is because It was soooo expensive.

Do not take it all at once, if you load throughout the day you will have better results. I have done as much as 400 w Breakfas, 400mg more for lunch. I do not take after 2pm or 4pm on days I will have long nights.

I might try this again and go up to 400mg 3 times a day.

SOC

@SOC I did my best with CO10 at 800mg a day, You can actually go up a lot. AND IT WORKS the problem is COST COST COST, the only reason I stooped the high doses is because It was soooo expensive.

Do not take it all at once, if you load throughout the day you will have better results. I have done as much as 400 w Breakfas, 400mg more for lunch. I do not take after 2pm or 4pm on days I will have long nights.

I might try this again and go up to 400mg 3 times a day.
Thanks. :) Yes, cost is a big issue, so I'm trying to optimize. I don't want to take more than is effective for me.

Right now I'm taking 600mg at breakfast and 200 mg at lunch. Maybe I'll try 600mg at breakfast and lunch. I do run out of energy by dinnertime even when I'm pacing carefully and resting during the day, but I'm concerned about sleep problems, so I don't really want to take CoQ10 later in the day.

I read that CoQ10 level peaks about 5-6 hrs after taking it and the half-life is about 36 hours, so it seems that it shouldn't be necessary to dose later than lunchtime.

Seven7

Seven
Soc try 600, 400, 200 4pm. I have done 800 am 800 12pm and I was literally SOOOO hyper. so I think my number is in the 400s. I am starting to increase soon to optimal numbers, when I see it stop will just stay at that dose. I also decided to keep on pedyalite, I stopped because of price but I feel so much better OI wise if I take one a day. So back to the expensive that work routine (sigh)