• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How much better do you feel at night?

Prefect

I feel better at night
I feel better with a big greasy meal with lots of meat in it
I feel better with alcohol

bensmith

@dave11 i def have this. Does it continue to degrade if unaddressed?

i takensome of thst stuff ill prog tryband add it. Def got hypo.

dave11

@dave11 i def have this. Does it continue to degrade if unaddressed?

i takensome of thst stuff ill prog tryband add it. Def got hypo.

Hypoglycemia can get worse with time if it is not addressed. Eventually if left untreated the result can be type 2 diabetes. Not recognizing the problem, I left it untreated for many years, and am still in the hypoglycemia stage.

At long last, I found that 2 teaspoons of sugar as needed will relieve my chest tightness and shortness of breath, and also reduce fatigue. However, on a long term basis, sugar is bad for hypoglycemia. The treatment plan I am following is based on a diet emphasizing frequent small meals and snacks, mixing protein, fat and carbs together into each meal or snack, and to the extent possible cutting out simple sugars, soda, candy and cake.

Adding to a meal soluble fiber (like potato starch) or olive oil slows the digestive process, and helps to produce a more even flow of glucose, and avoid reactive hypoglycemia.

For MCAS, including the same symptoms, I also use the H1 blocker Benadryl (which crosses the blood brain barrier) on an occasional basis as needed. While it gives me quick relief, I prefer not to use this first generation H1 blocker on a regular basis as tolerance can occur, and there is a concern about developing dementia.

Surprisingly, hypoglycemia can cause a reduction in the production of serotonin, resulting in CFS, according to what I have read. Of course, viruses and a lot of other things can also cause CFS.

valentinelynx

I have complete sleep reversal. If I don't have things to do in the day, I go to bed somewhere between 8AM and noon and get up at 7 or 8 PM. My sleep is in nap-like sessions.

Prefect

@sb4 Your idea on night time insulin resistance is interesting. Is there anywhere I can look this phenomenon up? Buy this argument blood sugar would be higher at night as the sugar is not being burnt Buy insulin for fuel?

sb4

@sb4 Your idea on night time insulin resistance is interesting. Is there anywhere I can look this phenomenon up? Buy this argument blood sugar would be higher at night as the sugar is not being burnt Buy insulin for fuel?
I remember reading a study about it, I just googled but couldn't find it but I gave up after like 10 seconds so its probably relatively easy to find.

I am not sure if BG would be higher or not but I think the idea is that cells will become insulin resistant to use body fat to get you through the night as (evolutionarily) you wouldn't be consuming a source of carbs for 12hrs plus. The brain and some other tissues that require glucose have special membrane proteins (GLUT?) that don't require insulin to use glucose if I remember correct.

Anyway I have a quick starting, temporary, significant increase in heart pounding symptoms and others after consuming carbs, much less so with fats and proteins. So it would make sense I feel better if my body is burning fat instead. Some others have reported similar experiences regarding carbs.

Prefect

@sb4 What you’re describing could be reactive hypoglycemia, which is an over shoot of insulin in Response to an increase in blood sugar from simple carbs and sugar. Just overshoot causes temporary hypoglycaemia and some people which can create all the symptoms you describe

sb4

@sb4 What you’re describing could be reactive hypoglycemia, which is an over shoot of insulin in Response to an increase in blood sugar from simple carbs and sugar. Just overshoot causes temporary hypoglycaemia and some people which can create all the symptoms you describe
I don't think it is that. I did experiments with carbs and taking regular blood glucose readings. Whilst my BG levels wheren't perfect, they werent diabetic either. Also they weren't hypoglycemic either. I lean more to the PDH inhibition theory as I have had temporary success with high dose thiamine which is a cofactor and activator of PDH and can have a drug like effect in high doses where it upregulates enzymes like PDH. Problem is, I think my body gets wise to it after a few days and upregulates further the enzymes used to deactivate PDH. This would be inline with Prustys theory on stealth infections in CFS.