• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

how long will testing all fda approved drugs take? (metabolic trap)

dylemmaz

ron davis said he hasn’t yet begun testing fda approved drugs on the yeast inflicted with the metabolic trap because the robots that will be aiding in the process are not yet fixed (he said this yesterday in a QNA).

i’m curious if anyone knows how long the process of testing all fda medications should take once the testing begins? anyone have a rough estimate/timeline?

bensmith

Somebody on reddit said months to maybe a 1.5 years. No idea if that makes sense i have no background so yeah.

@Wishful Christ i hope me is right about the assumption if he can find anything at all.

vision blue

I had a different interprettion of "not yet fixed" - kept picturing shelter dogs taken to prevent future progeny. would that be the robots or the yeast that need "to get fixed" first?

dylemmaz

I had a different interprettion of "not yet fixed" - kept picturing shelter dogs taken to prevent future progeny. would that be the robots or the yeast that need "to get fixed" first?
the robots need fixing. ron said he doesn’t want to buy new robots because it’d cost so much and we all know how little funding cfs research gets. i believe he has 3 that need fixing.

after the robots are fixed ron will move toward trialing different fda approved medications to “fix” the yeast that are stuck in the metabolic trap. i’m curious how long this process could take. at first he said it would be a quick and fast process of trialing all drugs. but i don’t know what that means in the scale of scientific research

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
I used to work in clinical drug research. Accelerated drug testing takes 7 years to approval. There are emergency use authorizations available but it is risky.

dylemmaz

I used to work in clinical drug research. Accelerated drug testing takes 7 years to approval. There are emergency use authorizations available but it is risky.
interesting. by drug testing do you mean the production of an entirely new drug? from my understanding ron has stated he plans to test all fda approved drugs on the yeast first and then move to herbs, before delving in to the route of creating an entirely new drug that fixes the trap (which he said would take 10 years and 1 billion dollars)

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
He was going to test all drugs against the salt stress device about 3-4 years ago and never did.
I don't know what the holdup was, money, technicians, space, robots?

So frankly don't expect it in the next few years and if it happens its a bonus.

Not the answer you wanted to hear i know :cry:

Rufous McKinney

the robots need fixing. ron said he doesn’t want to buy new robots because it’d cost so much and we all know how little funding cfs research gets. i believe he has 3 that need fixing

Probably they know what they are doing and we don;t know. I'd like to believe they have a plan to solve these delays. And don't need any help doing so.

If help is needed: please somehow let us know.

We were waiting for a nannoneedle machine to be fabricated that was to test larger sample sizes (correct the plasma signal). Anyone know about that? COVID stopped the new machine being made, was the last I recall.

So now its this new yeast that is trapped. Now we need robots repaired. I suspect testing the yeast is a more specific route which also further confirms the trap theory (as opposed to just addressing correcting "something" in the blood).

Is this a money issue? If so how much fixes it?

The question: how long would it take on FDA drugs- well the first step might be: how long does it take to test one sample? Then there is replication.

Rufous McKinney

i’m curious how long this process could take. at first he said it would be a quick and fast process of trialing all drugs. but i don’t know what that means in the scale of scientific research

So online it says there are around 20,000 FDA drugs.

If one drug is tested per day, 20,000 days later! Oh dear- we need robots

Now its not likely you'd really ever test every one of them- as entire categoreis likely have no bearing on the issue.

So then there are around 6000 Chinese Traditional Herbs.

And then we could add: medicinal herbs from other regions...figure thats a large number.
:nerd:

bensmith

He was going to test all drugs against the salt stress device about 3-4 years ago and never did.

Jeez. Oof

dylemmaz

So online it says there are around 20,000 FDA drugs.

If one drug is tested per day, 20,000 days later! Oh dear- we need robots

Now its not likely you'd really ever test every one of them- as entire categoreis likely have no bearing on the issue.

So then there are around 6000 Chinese Traditional Herbs.

And then we could add: medicinal herbs from other regions...figure thats a large number.
:nerd:

thanks for finding that info. i believe ron said each robot could test 12 different drugs at one time (he has 3 robots and also said he will be having people test at the same time). ron also said he already has all of the fda approved drugs in his refrigerator as well that he will be testing, so i’d be surprised if he fit 20,000 in there. it does make more sense that they are only testing the drugs that they suspect will work in the way that they want them to

dylemmaz

i'm not familiar with the salt stress device. what is this?

ron has recently said he has all fda approved drugs in his refrigerator already (like last month i believe), so to me he is acting as if the process of testing on the trap will begin shortly? janet in a recent interview also said she has been personally testing some drugs herself on the traps, so it does seem like it’s something that is in the process of actually starting

lenora

Hi @dylemmaz.......Both Ron and Janet have a very, very ill son. Regular reports come in, and I'm sure that as soon as something is found, we'll be among the first to hear about it. They have every reason to find a cure as soon as possible.

In the meantime, support from us is needed in the form of money for research (e.g. medicine for those sick robots), so let's do what we can to help them. Funds should be sent to the Open Medicine Foundation OMF...I keep saying I'm sending my donation and this will make certain that I do. I'm sure the address can be found online. Please do likewise....everything helps, any amount at all. (No, I'm not an official fundraiser, just another sick patient). I don't want to see anyone wait for a cure as long as I have. I wish you well. Yours, Lenora.

godlovesatrier

I don't think anyone knows the answer to your question. But what I decided to do instead of waiting was go through Hip's recovery thread and research and list all the things in there and gradually go through them, taking them individually to see if I got any improvement or help. I also mixed this up by cross referencing with any health rising articles cort posted that were of value.

I have about 80 things to trial in the list and I've probably done 25 of them over the last 5 years. With long gaps in between. But this can sometimes be a quicker way to find some relief, as even Prusty said it will take ages, I think he was trying to find a nice way to say it but it is what it is.

Reading_Steiner

I relistened to some of the old interviews and it sounds like they already found drugs that 'corrected the signal', one of which was suramin I believe, now what that actually means is totally open to interpretation, its totally possible that merely correcting the signal doesn't fix the disease. I think there are issues getting access to Suramin at the moment and a new factory has to be made. I think Ron and the team will pull through for us this time and get some good progress on a relatively fast scale. OMF have done amazing stuff in terms of changing the narrative and establishing legitimacy of cfs research.