• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How likely is high vit. C a mast cell degranulator?

Gingergrrl

Hi folks. I take ascorbic acid (main component of vitamin C complex) daily, and in high doses with acute symptoms (I also take multiminerals so perhaps I'm ok with regards to copper levels etc). By high doses I mean anything up to 16 grams a day, with a minimum of about 3g daily. It seems to reduce the severity and duration of my acute symptoms, which are commonly severe migraine-like headaches, neck, muscle and joint pain. My reading suggests that ascorbic acid is eliminated by the body very quickly and that a general rule of thumb is that the more unwell you are the more vitamin C you can take before reaching bowel intolerance level. I don't know if that is factually accurate but it seems to be the case for me.

Interestingly, I read that Japanese scientists post-Hiroshima and Nagasaki found that vitamin C helps protect us from radiation. And I know some studies were treating cancer and AIDS patients with doses up to 160 grams per day with positive results.

CFS_Kristin

Maybe it is just too high a dose? My total dose for the day is around 1420 mg (would have to check the Quercetin bottle but this is approx it.) I usually divide things into divided doses so nothing too high of an amount at once.

Hi @Gingergrrl - What supplements have you found to be the most beneficial for your MCAS?

Also, when you take certain herbs or do treatments to kill off that cause herxing, does that aggravate your MCAS?

Gingergrrl

Hi @Gingergrrl - What supplements have you found to be the most beneficial for your MCAS?

Also, when you take certain herbs or do treatments to kill off that cause herxing, does that aggravate your MCAS?

@CFS_Kristin I am not posting publicly at the moment or checking PR every day but noticed you had several questions for me in a few threads. Is it possible for you to send them all to me in a PM and I will reply there as soon as I am able? Thanks!