• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How do I know if my fatigue is psychosomatic or physical?

Rufous McKinney

I went for years thinking it was anxiety caused and yet knowing that the anxiety was because my body was not behaving like everyone else's. It's scary when you think you might not make it through a lunch with a friend because you might faint while waiting in line, etc. So the two can intertwine.

Yeah- all that.

I had mild agoraphobia. Which I did not understand, and its odd how long one can go not understanding what is this feeling, why am I such a wreck?

In my case, I believe it emanates mostly from Sickness Behavior. Its- I have no business going out there feeling this lousy, and your out there anyway, and the body knows it.

And then there is no medical privacy, when your medical issues are IBS-d, bladder spasms, frequent pit stops, erratic blood sugar, can't eat when I get up.

On goes the list.

So that anxiety is never helping matters. It seems to always add a dose of extra medicine.

So 5 years in a row, trips to Hawaii that I'm not understanding. Why do I want to die here in the backseat of a car on my Hawaiian vacation? (well having to deal with the 4 other people Im traveling with, maybe?).

I Loved being told: we will leave very very early, we will be in a car all day, we will stay out until the pitch black night, and you have zero personal control over your body and whereabouts. One of our members cannot see at night. The others want to hike across a mud flow at a volcano.

I'm whigging out. Inside. I don't like loss of control. Since that happened to me, as a child, medically. It has transferred into: hate the dentist. Hate a plane. Cannot be confined here like this. Told you cannot move, ever.

my body refused dental implant surgery. I had to cancel it. Procedures- are not an option.

Rufous McKinney

I think studying unusual cases is more likely to provide useful insight than yet another study of a large group of 'normal' ME cases.

Understood. We need a Wishful Control Group.

So my version might be: I'm a high blood pressure person- with some of this OI and POTs stuff.

Thats rather strange also.

My sleep pattern altered at menopause, and work was profoundly stressful (lawyers). Not sleeping started.

Traveling- NEVER go to sleep starts up. This, for me, is a nightmare. I will literally unravel. I could to give a public talk, because I'd never sleep night before.

Many things had to change to get thru all that. Versions were 1) never go to sleep; 2) take a long time to fall asleep, wide awake at 2 am; 3) wake up every 10 minutes the night before a meeting.

Somewhere in all this, my Xanax habit started, required to actually sleep before any meeting the next day.

I've terminated my Xanax thing now.

So I sleep better now. Most of that stress is now gone. But its unrefreshing. I wake up, and I'm so very still tired.

Repairs aren't happening in the brain properly during this sleep cycle, I suspect. The brain being washed of toxins, for instance.
My sleep is also much improved, but I think I've still got a ways to go. My refreshness varies, thanks for the reminder to watch this. I'm a ways into a mindful practice, not super deep but I've been intermittent for a number of years and I am progressing. I do around 10 grams of turmeric a day, and I think that's had a positive effect on sleep as well as other things. Have you tried a smaller dose of melatonin? That will definitely help you get to sleep easier.

One thing about anti-inflammatories is that they can actually hinder healing as healthy inflammation is part of recovery. I'm aware of that, but have not figured it out. Understanding the bodies different needs during the active day and the recovering night is extremely important, including diet and supplements.

Emmarose47

I have no idea is my take on it ...
I come from a trauma background and have ran all my life on adrenaline ( flight )...
Now I look back at my life I'm not surprised I've collapsed ..
But then many have my story and don't ..

What I do know is it so physiological in its symptoms .. it's hard to believe it's psychosomatic .
I guess I keep an open mind and generally think it's a combo

Emmarose47

I'm saddened to hear that. I've heard a good few people say they think thier ME/CFS illness could well be trauma related.
Thanks sledgehammer ...
Yep I Def burnt myself out going into the world running from myself and caretaking far too many people .. lots of responsibility stress on a little body that couldn't cope .
The viral component does seem relevant too ..
CFS has made me slow down and says ' now you need to be gentle with yourself and look after you ...get support

lenora

@Emmarose47....Hello. Adrenaline isn't such a bad thing, I find it helps me get through visits, phone conversations and whether it was caused by trauma in childhood or not, I'm going to use it. I can almost call it up.

Unfortunately, after the call or visit, I'm generally quite exhausted, but since I don't want to withdraw from the world entirely, I have no other choice. I like people and want to see and talk to them. Most know my hours and respect what I can/cannot do. For that I'm grateful...but it did take a long time to reach that point. So what do I get?...now everyone's dying! Be kind to yourself, you deserve it. Yours, Lenora.