• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hospital appointment experience

Anchoress

Thank you.
The problems where I am are that I live offshore on a small island with no resident medical care. ( one reason I chose to come here) so the authorities tend to panic and overreact. Covering their backs of course ( I have no illusions any more) A kind of medical "nimby" situation. Thankfully I have someone who is in authority in one area of my life who intervenes. She does this for some other folk too so knows her way round it. It sets me wondering how many here have this advantage? ie of a representative if you live alone as I do?
Easier for me to understand as before Ireland I lived on another islandwith the same set up and a GP who should not have been allowed to work out there! ( the Health Board told me that on one occasion!)
It eases any situation by transferring responsibility to someone. who knows us. And in my case has Power of Attorney. A vital precaution.

Emmarose47

Still shaking re my very narrow escape last week from being, probably, sectioned. by the Gardai. In absentia!
We have almost no access to ordinary medical care here and they know the situation re the dr who has the " care" of this island and who abused me so badly she is banned from coming near me, unless a dire "life threatening emergency". And even then... She is on the lightest duties possible I gather.
I know the system and who to complain to and how so that protects me.
My overseas overseer stepped in and she has seen this before. So it got defused. I have though a theory, partly based on experience, that many folk with illnesses like ours get totally inappropriately sectioned through the sheer ignorance of even medics. Less so than 30 years ago.
Sectioned !! On what's grounds ?

Emmarose47

I can't imagine this happening in my city !
I'm under both the m.e CFS NHS hospital service and NHS mental health team . I'm housebound and partaily bedbound and both services seem to ' get it ' well enough not to bloomin section me anyway .
I'm so sad to hear this happens to people ...
It's appalling and shocking ....

BrightCandle

Who are BPS ?

Stands for Biophysicalsocial. Its a the underlying ethos of "treatment" that compels exercise and mental health interventions in a variety of chronic health conditions instead of biological underpinnings. Its got to the point where BPS is so powerful it can literally heal you from the pain and suffering of an open fracture that requires surgery (a paper last week) such is the power of the brain to produce pain where none exists because the fracture/operation was a success.

The Psychologists behind it are zealots of the highest order, all their research has been deemed low or very low quality nowadays and the new papers are no better but they make up for their lack of quality with an awful lot of quantity. BPS is now being moved on to a new term to tag everything on called FMD now the house of cards is coming down but before this ethos was called hysteria and over the decades its had many different names.

Emmarose47

Oh my lord ! Another strand of this crazy world ...
Thanks for explaining

Prayers for more change , more change ....
More change

Anchoress

Yep. But I am wise to it and can evade... and have involved legal folk on occasion. And I have excellent backup who dealt with it. I am as they say NOT ALONE!!!! Being alone and 80 makes one deeply vulnerable. Disposable.. so rather than put help in? This is one reason I came to an island! harder to get to!

Anchoress

[GROUP=][/GROUP]
Society is just weird wherever one lives ...
People
Ireland takes it to a whole new levels! Just ordered my repeat prescrption and last time the dr kicked up a fuss. She has been prescribing without ever meeting me or talking to me for literally years! Now I will worry.