• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Horrible report from psych for victims services application - "somatic symptoms"

Min

I hope that you will make a formal complaint pointing out that M.E./CFS has been classified as a physical, neurological illness by the World Health Organisation since 1969, and that your country has signed to abide by these classifications, and that she has no right whatsoever to re-diagnose you as having a psychological condition.

helen41

according to the DSM IV (the bible for psych diagnosis)
"If a thorough medical evaluation reveals no evidence of an underlying medical- or drug- or medication-induced condition, the diagnosis of somatization disorder is likely. "

Given that the psychologist does not have the ability to do a medical evaluation, that person completely overstepped their bounds. I would assume there must be a licensing body for psychologists in Australia. It's so hard tho, when you're sick. All these fights take energy, when just surviving day to day takes so much energy.
I'm sorry that happened to you.

You need to file a complaint as soon as possible so that they can't claim that incident happened too long ago to do something about it. She isn't professionally entitled to make a diagnosis like that, without visiting you and without reading your medical history. You need to ask for some kind of disability insurance so the lawyer of the social services will be able to defend your case against these sort of pseudo-doctors. You can also write to CFS/ME associations to explain what happened and they might give you suggestions on filing a complain or provide a free legal to you.

This irritates me particularly because honestly I don't hold psychology in high esteem, more than a medical science it seems to me like a subjective judgement based on the idea that there's only one appropriate human behavior and condition and the rest is pathological. Now even being ticklish or not liking math or humming too often are considered mental disorders in need of meds prescription. Just have a look at what pseudo-scientific ridicolous mess the DSM is. I would rather have a cardiologist or a brain surgeon dismiss my illness but I couldn't tolerate a shrink doing it!

Sean

If the psych's final report is incompetent or adverse I would be filing a formal complaint about the assessment process.

alex3619

Hi Tulip, this could be a clear case of discrimination against the disabled. You might like to contact the Discrimination Tribunal or whatever it is called now. There are laws against this now - actually there have been since the mid 90s. Bye, Alex

ps I wish I could remember the Discrimination boards proper name. I even filed a law suite with them in 1995, but I can't remember. Isn't there also a discrmination commissioner or something?

helen41

Thanks all,

This has nothing to do with social services. It is about an application I lodged for a $$$ compo payout from being a victim of crime. So it is through victims of crime, which is run by the attorny generals office. The report was meant to show the psychological damage that being a victim of crime has caused me in order to qualify for a catagory 2 pay out, not offer a new "possible" diagnosis for an already existing physical condition. There was also already a diagnosis of post traumatic stress disorder.

I'm not sure if I should lodge a complaint with the attorny general or with the health care complaints commission. She has not acted in a correct manner and on top of what I have already said, she laughed at some of the really traumatic events I went through as a victim of crime!! :eek: She is most certainly NOT fit to be doing reports on people that have been through horrific situations.
Caledonia has a good point though. You do need to weigh the end result. Sounds like the psychology report does agree that you are limited, just not for the right reason. Will ths report only go toward the whole compensation question, or will it interfere with your medical treatment in any way?