• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hom3ostasis by Dmitry Kats

lyran

What is your opinion about this protocol? Have you followed it and had benefits from it?

For those who don't know, it is basically about using high dose niacin with r-lipoic acid to help get niacin into cells. It has also many other supplements but these are the key ones as I have understood.

Dmitry Kats, PhD, MPH, who has invented this protocol, claims that he has cured many people from ME/CFS, long covid etc. with this protocol.

You can find the protocol at: https://hom3ostasis.com/protocol/
He also has a Telegram community which I'm not going to link here.

This is a quote from him:

"Thank you so much for bringing more awareness to the main causative treatment component to yes finally cure these hells, including ME/CFS, CF, and long COVID. The key though—along with flush niacin—will be the combined administration of mainly R-lipoic acid (make sure to get the right kind), all the other B vitamins, beef liver, l-serine for a boost, and for so many (even if they eat meat), meeting the growing demand for l-methionine (as an immune boost and to re-establish the whole methionine flux down through cysteine to glutathione to taurine). I have been curing pretty much everyone now from these conditions/diseases and quite rapidly. I understand many are uber-sensitive to flush niacin at first, but these aforementioned components will make it smooth from the get-go, quickly allowing one to build up to the needed dosing. It comes down to needing to re-modulate back up the niacin GPR109A receptor, which after for many, not just long COVID but decades of unaddressed inflammation led their cells now to carry so much oxidative stress & gunk that the cellular functioning is unable to restore its current into signaling to the niacin receptor how much gunk there is for niacin to clear, most of the niacin administered (until the aforementioned other treatment components, mainly R-lipoic acid) will not be going into the cells/hitting its receptor properly, explaining the bothersome sensitivity reactions still."

Replenished

I was in his telegram group previously. The guy comes across as a lunatic and if you question his protocol he goes crazy/removes you from his group. I also never saw anyone recover using his ideas but anything is worth exploring I guess.

godlovesatrier

I've taken niacin and r-ala together for 3 or 4 months. I didn't go into remission but certainly felt pretty good none the less.

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the thiamine tho. The r-ala is primarily good for scavenging oxidative stress and calming mast cell responses (I'd you're partial). It does have some other benefits but lowering OS is a buggy for ME.

So for me anyway don't think I really gained much from it.

lyran

I was in his telegram group previously. The guy comes across as a lunatic and if you question his protocol he goes crazy/removes you from his group. I also never saw anyone recover using his ideas but anything is worth exploring I guess.

This is the impression I also got when I read the messages from the group. If I'm correct, the main supplements used to be metatonin + niacin but then he changed them to r-ala + niacin and now they are leucine + niacin. I'm wondering where he gets this information that r-ala or leucine helps niacin get into cells.

Followers of his community use as high as 5-100 grams of flush-niacin a day. He says it is totally safe but I'm not so sure...

I've taken niacin and r-ala together for 3 or 4 months. I didn't go into remission but certainly felt pretty good none the less.

What were the doses you used to take?

Last edited:

godlovesatrier

These people take sometimes dangerous risks imo. I've done one of these protocols and my kidneys don't seem as resilient as they were. Not entirely sure what if anything did it. Although it doesn't seem to be kidney damage but it's still odd.

Anyway doses that high don't seem safe at all. I agree.

I took a normal thiamine dose in a b complex so not a lot maybe 50mg. And r-ala 3 x a day

ChrisD

I have been doing this protocol for about 6 weeks and it is definitely helping me improve from the Long Covid I got in addition to ME. Hoping once that is totally gone that it will then tackle the ME. I wrote a tweet thread about it here:

I do not use the amounts of Niacin they recommend. I take 40mg every 30 mins throughout the day, sometimes 50 if I feel I can tolerate a flush but since getting LC flushing is very unpleasant for me. Anyway I still see the benefit from low dose.

It is true that he is quite volatile and protective in the group, he will fly off the handle if someone says something he doesn't like - not a great environment for Pwme, so maybe better to check out the website.

GlassCannonLife

I have been doing this protocol for about 6 weeks and it is definitely helping me improve from the Long Covid I got in addition to ME. Hoping once that is totally gone that it will then tackle the ME. I wrote a tweet thread about it here:

I do not use the amounts of Niacin they recommend. I take 40mg every 30 mins throughout the day, sometimes 50 if I feel I can tolerate a flush but since getting LC flushing is very unpleasant for me. Anyway I still see the benefit from low dose.

It is true that he is quite volatile and protective in the group, he will fly off the handle if someone says something he doesn't like - not a great environment for Pwme, so maybe better to check out the website.
What doses of everything do you take aside from the niacin? And at what times during the day? Did you start it sequentially or just all at once?

I wonder why methionine would be required.?

Edit: just saw the website has a list - do you follow those doses of things? I didn't see methionine on there - is that a variation or something?

Last edited:

lyran

I tried this out with the supplements I already have (r-lipoic acid, flush niacin, TMG, vitamin C). First I took 200mg r-ala + 200mg niacin and then upped both to 400mg. Even with r-ala, I still got the flush effect from niacin. I didn't notice any benefits.

I tried this out with the supplements I already have (r-lipoic acid, flush niacin, TMG, vitamin C). First I took 200mg r-ala + 200mg niacin and then upped both to 400mg. Even with r-ala, I still got the flush effect from niacin. I didn't notice any benefits.
The niacin dosages he is using are way higher. Up to like 20 grams. I don’t think your gonna notice benefits with the dosage you took.

lyran

The niacin dosages he is using are way higher. Up to like 20 grams. I don’t think your gonna notice benefits with the dosage you took.

Some have reported seeing benefits from lower doses, like here in the comments-section Colm Smith is using 500mg r-ala + 500mg niacin: https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2...dria-chronic-fatigue-fibromyalgia-long-covid/

ChrisD also mentioned above that he uses lower doses. I would be cautious of using multigram doses of niacin daily.

Some have reported seeing benefits from lower doses, like here in the comments-section Colm Smith is using 500mg r-ala + 500mg niacin: https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2...dria-chronic-fatigue-fibromyalgia-long-covid/

ChrisD also mentioned above that he uses lower doses. I would be cautious of using multigram doses of niacin daily.
I’m not knowledgeable enough to say one way or another the safety of high dose niacin. My point is only if we are discussing Dimitry Kats protocol, the dosages he is trialing are in the grams. And he does explain the science according to him of why high dosages are necessary in order to clear the receptors.