• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Holger, the young Swedish man with very severe ME, has been taken away by four policeman and a psychiatrist this afternoon.

Countrygirl

You remember the story of Holgar, the young Swedish man who has very severe ME who was put in a psychiatric institute for two days in December which made his health deteriorate further?

Sadly, there have been some alarming developments today.

Two psychiatrists who, I gather have never met him, have sectioned him and four police officers and a psychiatrist have taken him away an hour ago to a psych unit .

I have copied some of this afternoon's reports below:

They are thinking forced to Holger according to LPT. They say he has a serious mental disorder. There are two doctors from Vaggeryd's health center who have decided this. They never met him before. Holger's regular doctor is connected now but they refuse to listen to him. Within an hour they say Holger is being picked up with police. If it happens, Holger may be dead this afternoon.

8iuTX4LlGZO.png
Author
Help Holger Now
Dr Nigel Speight:
"Regarding the care of patients with very severe ME
any form of stress (physical, psychological, sensory stimulation) should be avoided, as it can lead to further deterioration
Patients with severe ME who deteriorate are at risk of actually dying
the patient's autonomy and wishes should be treated with the utmost respect
it is important that the patient is cared for by a doctor in whom he trusts and has confidence

4 police officers and ambulance are now place to pick Holger up

They have now brought Holger in the ambulance. It went quietly but no relatives were allowed to join the ambulance. The psychiatrist has said that a person should be able to participate in the place, but we dare not take that for granted. We relatives are in shock and traumatized. Holger's mother fell apart.

lenora

That's truly awful and I'm extremely sorry for Holgar and his family.

Countrygirl, is the problem that they want them out of the hospitals? If so, there must be other places they can be sent to....why do they choose a mental hospital? Surely, they can't believe that he's "looking for attention," doesn't want to work, all of the other things people can think.

If the family's word isn't good enough, then exactly what is? I thought this type of behavior was a thing of the past.....I'm very obviously wrong. Please tell Holgar & his family that they're in my thoughts & prayers. Thanks for helping him. Where are the TV cameras when you need them? Yours, Lenora.

Countrygirl

That's truly awful and I'm extremely sorry for Holgar and his family.

Countrygirl, is the problem that they want them out of the hospitals? If so, there must be other places they can be sent to....why do they choose a mental hospital? Surely, they can't believe that he's "looking for attention," doesn't want to work, all of the other things people can think.

If the family's word isn't good enough, then exactly what is? I thought this type of behavior was a thing of the past.....I'm very obviously wrong. Please tell Holgar & his family that they're in my thoughts & prayers. Thanks for helping him. Where are the TV cameras when you need them? Yours, Lenora.

I understand that the two psychiatrists who I read have never seen him declared him to be seriously mentally ill. His GP supports him but he has been over-ruled as have two psychiatrists who have seen him and stated that he had no mental health problem.

If he dies the psychiatrists should be reported to the police for manslaughter.

Countrygirl

Someone in a Facebook group has posted this:

We need to advocate for Holger who has no power or autonomy. Please call or email the clinic, if you can.
The clinic number is: 011 46 10 244 0570. Dial 9 for an English message. You can leave a voicemail in English or speak to someone if the clinic is open.
We need to advocate for Holger who has no power or autonomy. Please call or email the clinic, if you can.
The clinic email is:
vaggerydsvardcentral@rjl.se...........................this is the clinic not the unit where he is being held DO NOT CONTACT THIS ADDRESS.
The clinic manager’s email is:
gerd.rydh@rjl.se

We need to know their twitter handle.

LATER

I have been googling and I think this is the health centre and not the unit where he is being held. I had better inform the Facebook group before they start emailing and phoning.

Last edited:

caledonia

Not to be a jerk, but I've reviewed a number of these cases, and there is always plenty of warning that this is going to happen. If you live in a country that sections people for having ME, and you think you might be sectioned, you need to leave the jurisdiction so they can't medically kidnap you.

I know this is difficult for a severe ME patient and their family, but it's better than being medically kidnapped and dying.

Once you're sectioned, your options are things like hiring a lawyer (if you haven't done so already), and getting lots of media attention.

Cipher

Administrator
Someone in a Facebook group has posted this:

The clinic number is: 011 46 10 244 0570. Dial 9 for an English message. You can leave a voicemail in English or speak to someone if the clinic is open.
The clinic email is:
vaggerydsvardcentral@rjl.se
The clinic manager’s email is:
gerd.rydh@rjl.se

We need to know their twitter handle.

FYI that's the GP clinic that initiated this, not the psychiatric unit where he is held right now.

Countrygirl

I have a suggestion. When someone in the UK is being badly treated in hospital, we all deluge the ward with cards for the patient as it is a gentle reminder to the staff that a lot of us are watching and witnessing from a distance what is happening. It does seem to help. What I propose is that the patients from around the world not only do this, but send a second letter to the CEO of the hospital enclosing material which proves that ME is a physical disease. For example, I will use the Healthcare papers (or at least the one by Drs Weir and Speight and Helen Baxter that has just won the Howes-Gouldsmit Prize for research into v. severe ME). I will also add MPs' quotes from the three-hour parliamentary debate we had here in 2019 where such statements as 'this is the worst medical scandal of the century' were used'. There is also the quote the family used on FB from Dr Nigel Speight. I have collected many quotes from various sources and made a book for parents to use. If we all deluge them with academic papers, statements from respected authorities, it should help and put the hospital on notice. Perhaps also mention those who have died from similar incarcerations like Sophie and Merryn. FIrst though, we need our Swedish friends to ensure we have the right address, and also the name and address of the CEO of the hospital or whatever title he has. Warning him that he may have an unnecessary death in his hospital, or that his hospital will likely be sued for the harm they are doing should alarm him. Given the circumstances and the evidence that is available today that ME is a physical illness, the two psychs who ordered his sectioning and removal should be on a charge of manslaughter should the worst happen.

Holgar is said to be in the psych. unit of this hospital:
Länssjukhuset Ryhov hospital, in the city of Jönköping.(+46)0102423010

Can our Swedish friends confirm?

Who is CEO of the hospital? What is their title?

I am unsure of Holgar's second name.

Countrygirl

This is the quote Holgar's family used but it was ignored:
Dr Nigel Speight:

"Regarding the care of patients with very severe ME
any form of stress (physical, psychological, sensory stimulation) should be avoided, as it can lead to further deterioration
Patients with severe ME who deteriorate are at risk of actually dying
the patient's autonomy and wishes should be treated with the utmost respect
it is important that the patient is cared for by a doctor in whom he trusts and has confidence"

Martin aka paused||M.E.

They would not diagnose him with ME/CFS but with a psychosomatic illness or a psychosis bc otherwise that would not qualify him as a case for involuntary treatment.
What Holger needs, if he is still involuntary treated or held against his will, is interim injunction to get him out there. If a responsible doc decided that involuntary psychological treatment is necessary, it will require a second psychological assessment.
You can additionally build up legal pressure by reporting the referring/responsible doctor for deprivation of liberty.
But I’m a German lawyer and not familiar with the Swedish law. But the problem won’t be different from the problem here: Evidence; whether or not there is a reason for psychiatric treatment against his or will.

Sophiedw

I have a suggestion. When someone in the UK is being badly treated in hospital, we all deluge the ward with cards for the patient as it is a gentle reminder to the staff that a lot of us are watching and witnessing from a distance what is happening. It does seem to help. What I propose is that the patients from around the world not only do this, but send a second letter to the CEO of the hospital enclosing material which proves that ME is a physical disease. For example, I will use the Healthcare papers (or at least the one by Drs Weir and Speight and Helen Baxter that has just won the Howes-Gouldsmit Prize for research into v. severe ME). I will also add MPs' quotes from the three-hour parliamentary debate we had here in 2019 where such statements as 'this is the worst medical scandal of the century' were used'. There is also the quote the family used on FB from Dr Nigel Speight. I have collected many quotes from various sources and made a book for parents to use. If we all deluge them with academic papers, statements from respected authorities, it should help and put the hospital on notice. Perhaps also mention those who have died from similar incarcerations like Sophie and Merryn. FIrst though, we need our Swedish friends to ensure we have the right address, and also the name and address of the CEO of the hospital or whatever title he has. Warning him that he may have an unnecessary death in his hospital, or that his hospital will likely be sued for the harm they are doing should alarm him. Given the circumstances and the evidence that is available today that ME is a physical illness, the two psychs who ordered his sectioning and removal should be on a charge of manslaughter should the worst happen.

Holgar is said to be in the psych. unit of this hospital:
Länssjukhuset Ryhov hospital, in the city of Jönköping.(+46)0102423010

Can our Swedish friends confirm?

Who is CEO of the hospital? What is their title?

Your pragmatism, work and advocacy is inspirational @Countrygirl. Thank you 🙏

Cipher

Administrator

According to the YouTube video you posted his name is Holger Klintenberg.

I have a suggestion. When someone in the UK is being badly treated in hospital, we all deluge the ward with cards for the patient as it is a gentle reminder to the staff that a lot of us are watching and witnessing from a distance what is happening. It does seem to help. What I propose is that the patients from around the world not only do this, but send a second letter to the CEO of the hospital enclosing material which proves that ME is a physical disease.

There seems to exist several different sub-units of the psychiatric unit of that hospital, with slightly different postal addresses (unit A, unit B etc). Could you ask in the Facebook group where he is held? The address for the psychiatric clinic as a whole is the following:

Länssjukhuset Ryhov
Psykiatriska kliniken
551 85 Jönköping
SWEDEN

According to this site, the Deputy Director of the psychiatric unit is:
Peter Svärd
010-242 30 87
peter.svard@rjl.se

His postal address would be the one above.

The Director of all healthcare (Sjukvårdsdirektör) in the region is:
Agneta Ståhl
agneta.stahl@rjl.se

I don't know the postal address for her.

Last edited:

Countrygirl

They would not diagnose him with ME/CFS but with a psychosomatic illness or a psychosis bc otherwise that would not qualify him as a case for involuntary treatment.
What Holger needs, if he is still involuntary treated or held against his will, is interim injunction to get him out there. If a responsible doc decided that involuntary psychological treatment is necessary, it will require a second psychological assessment.
You can additionally build up legal pressure by reporting the referring/responsible doctor for deprivation of liberty.
But I’m a German lawyer and not familiar with the Swedish law. But the problem won’t be different from the problem here: Evidence; whether or not there is a reason for psychiatric treatment against his or will.

I think the issue here is that Holgar can't wait for legal intervention. He will be too seriously harmed by the time that could take effect, although it does need to be done.

We need to cast immediate doubt into the CEO's mind by alerting him or her to the fact that here is a case here that could lead to very serious consequences for the patient, the hospital, and the two doctors. Give them sufficient information to give them sleepless nights and to rein back. The potential negative publicity while people round the world are following events in their hospital may concern them enough to hesitate and proceed with more caution. Hopefully, the legal intervention then won't be too late.