• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hillary Johnson: "Third Human Retrovirus"?

dannybex

I noticed on Johnson's website that at the top of the page she asks the question:

"Are you infected with XMRV, the third human retrovirus?"

I'm definitely no scientist, shoot, I can barely read lately...but I thought there were at least four confirmed retroviruses: HTLV1, HTLV2, HIV1 and HIV2.

Then of course, XMRV...and what about Defreitas' retrovirus, that Hillary reported on so extensively?

Wouldn't that make XMRV, the fifth...or the sixth?

:confused:

http://www.oslersweb.com/

V99

The three are HIV, HTLV, & XMRV.

The numbers next to them are strains, so there are three.

I think I am right, any one know for sure.

ixchelkali

I've thought that, too, when others have called XMRV the third. But then someone (who???) explained that they count the different types of HTLV as one, the different HIV's as another one, so XMRV is the third. And they're talking only about the infectious ones, not the endogenous ones. Defreitas' retrovirus was never "proven" not to be endogenous. Although I can't help wondering if it isn't lurking around in us somewhere, still waiting to be re-discovered.

dannybex

Thank you...that makes sense. Although I still wonder about Defreitas' retrovirus, and why no one is following up on that...?

And you're right ixchelkali, there are probably many, many that we don't even know about.

usedtobeperkytina

Yes

Yes, I think this is the first one that seems to pop out and then go in hiding. This is part of why it hasn't been found until now. And, it has a nature that scientists had not attributed to viruses before.

So, how many others are there like this?

Just to be precise, this is the third human infectious retrovirus.

Tina

ixchelkali

Yes, XMRV is an exogenous retrovirus, as are HTLV-I, HTLV-II, HTLV-III, HTLV-IV, HIV-1, and HIV-2. As I understand it, we also have lots of apparently harmless and maybe helpful endogenous retroviruses that we're born with.

Um, aren't HTLV-III and HIV-1 the same thing? Or has that changed, and there's a new HTLV-III?

You know, these viruses need catchier names, like hurricanes. We could name all the leukemia viruses after, say, oceans, and the immunodeficiency viruses after Dante's circles of hell, and mouse viruses after, what? Greek gods? Famous mice? (Algernon, Jerry, Despereaux).

Forbin

I believe that XMRV is the third exogenus retrovirus "species" found in humans.
HIV-1 and HIV-2 might be called "strains" or sub-species of the species HIV, for example, but I'm not certain of that.

[Group] [Family] [Sub-Family] [Genus] [Species]

GROUP VI
--------Retroviridae
-----------------Orthoretrovirinae
------------------------------Deltaretrovirus
---------------------------------------Human T-lymphotropic virus (HTLV)
------------------------------Lentivirus
---------------------------------------Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
------------------------------Gammaretrovirus
---------------------------------------Xenotropic Murine leukemia virus (XMRV)