• Phoenix Rising needs funds to operate: please consider donating to support PR

High oxalates , 0 gulthiation

HABS93

basically summarizing my integrative doctor is like you have basically no gulthiation at all. My symptom's derive from your detox pathways are not working . I've been taking NAC twice a day so maybe I got too up them? Said to stop eating leafy greens as much as I have high oxalates and ketones. I see him again in a week as he order a full thyroid panel. Says doctor's overlooked my thyroid.

Learner1

Oxalates can create a lot of oxidative stress. They can deplete A, E, and ALA as well as glutathione.

Though NAC is typically given to increase glutathione, if you are deficient in glutamine or glycine, you can take all the cysteine in the world and not be able to make glutathione because of those shortages. It also helps to have methylation working, and oxalates will deplete B6 which is needed for methylation as well as to get through the CBS pathway to make glutathione.

Your doctor needs to be updated on proper foods to eat for a low oxalate diet. Some greens are okay, and you need them for folate and other nutrients. Spinach is by far the worst leafy green that contains oxalates. The Trying Low Oxalates Facebook group has the most up-to-date list on oxalate content of foods. Grains, root vegetables, nuts, and several other fruits and vegetables are high in oxalates. Fats and animal proteins do not contain oxalates.

HABS93

@Learner1 That doesn't make any sense at all. How can leafy greens even be part of a issue if I never really ate them at all? I'm not giving up nuts and spinach . These things have helped more then any stupid test has said. You can't have a perfect body. You're still guna have cheat days. My diet is not the problem. I'm finally gaining weight because I'm eating properly. If I take those things out I'll be down to fish , chicken , and veggie stew. Basically the jordan peterson lion diet .

HABS93

My glutamine and glycine bio marker levels are not bad. NAC and gluth are basically the lowest they can be.

Learner1

@Learner1 That doesn't make any sense at all. How can leafy greens even be part of a issue if I never really ate them at all? I'm not giving up nuts and spinach . These things have helped more then any stupid test has said. You can't have a perfect body. You're still guna have cheat days. My diet is not the problem. I'm finally gaining weight because I'm eating properly. If I take those things out I'll be down to fish , chicken , and veggie stew. Basically the jordan peterson lion diet .
Feel free to disagree, but oxalates are a toxin and will build up and cause an entire cascade of problems whether or not you agree with the diet. Spinach and nuts, unfortunately, have been the culprits for many people, unfortunately - spinach is the absolute highest oxalate food you can eat. Bok choy and lettuce are much better choices.

Learner1

The only way it organic acids bio markets. Very accurate test.
Hello Habs, just wondering which tests/exams did you take to measure glutathione and oxalate levels?
The Great Plains OAT test is the only one that does oxalates. It doesn't show oxidized vs reduced glutathione or alpha lipoic acid or vitamins A and E which would be useful to know.

HABS93

The Great Plains OAT test is the only one that does oxalates. It doesn't show oxidized vs reduced glutathione or alpha lipoic acid or vitamins A and E which would be useful to know.
Yeah that's the one I was talking about

HABS93

Feel free to disagree, but oxalates are a toxin and will build up and cause an entire cascade of problems whether or not you agree with the diet. Spinach and nuts, unfortunately, have been the culprits for many people, unfortunately - spinach is the absolute highest oxalate food you can eat. Bok choy and lettuce are much better choices.
None of those options have protien. Being 145 as a male is not healthy. I actually feel better after eating my almond and peanut protien bars as a snack. The low oxalate diet will cause other problems as it takes out key things for gaining muscle. I'm really sick of hearing stuff like this yet change to what the test says to only feel not one difference in energy or anything. I'm starting to believe most of these test are just a way to make money off sick people.

HABS93

@Learner1 I'm having a really bad day so I apologise if I came off angry. My best friend won't let me rant over a phone call.
So I have to take out spinach and my protien bars with almonds ? It says blueberries and carrots but that's in my veggi smoothie so what do I replace it with?

Tammy

So I have to take out spinach and my protien bars with almonds ? It says blueberries and carrots but that's in my veggi smoothie so what do I replace it with?
If it was me I wouldn't take out spinach regardless of any test. You have mentioned how it was helping you! Why change something that was actually helping?

Last edited:

HABS93

If it was me I wouldn't take out spinach regardless of any test. You have mentioned how it was helping you! Why change something that was actually helping?
It might be the only way to get my glutathione levels back. Supplementing NAC might need t be enough. I take 1500mg right now. My integrative is really confident that this is why I have brain fog sand chronic faitgue. I've never had anyone also tell me it's okay you don't have to worry you will feel normal again. So I'm going with what he says over my gut .