• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High oxalates , 0 gulthiation

HABS93

basically summarizing my integrative doctor is like you have basically no gulthiation at all. My symptom's derive from your detox pathways are not working . I've been taking NAC twice a day so maybe I got too up them? Said to stop eating leafy greens as much as I have high oxalates and ketones. I see him again in a week as he order a full thyroid panel. Says doctor's overlooked my thyroid.

Learner1

Oxalates can create a lot of oxidative stress. They can deplete A, E, and ALA as well as glutathione.

Though NAC is typically given to increase glutathione, if you are deficient in glutamine or glycine, you can take all the cysteine in the world and not be able to make glutathione because of those shortages. It also helps to have methylation working, and oxalates will deplete B6 which is needed for methylation as well as to get through the CBS pathway to make glutathione.

Your doctor needs to be updated on proper foods to eat for a low oxalate diet. Some greens are okay, and you need them for folate and other nutrients. Spinach is by far the worst leafy green that contains oxalates. The Trying Low Oxalates Facebook group has the most up-to-date list on oxalate content of foods. Grains, root vegetables, nuts, and several other fruits and vegetables are high in oxalates. Fats and animal proteins do not contain oxalates.

HABS93

@Learner1 That doesn't make any sense at all. How can leafy greens even be part of a issue if I never really ate them at all? I'm not giving up nuts and spinach . These things have helped more then any stupid test has said. You can't have a perfect body. You're still guna have cheat days. My diet is not the problem. I'm finally gaining weight because I'm eating properly. If I take those things out I'll be down to fish , chicken , and veggie stew. Basically the jordan peterson lion diet .

HABS93

My glutamine and glycine bio marker levels are not bad. NAC and gluth are basically the lowest they can be.

Learner1

@Learner1 That doesn't make any sense at all. How can leafy greens even be part of a issue if I never really ate them at all? I'm not giving up nuts and spinach . These things have helped more then any stupid test has said. You can't have a perfect body. You're still guna have cheat days. My diet is not the problem. I'm finally gaining weight because I'm eating properly. If I take those things out I'll be down to fish , chicken , and veggie stew. Basically the jordan peterson lion diet .
Feel free to disagree, but oxalates are a toxin and will build up and cause an entire cascade of problems whether or not you agree with the diet. Spinach and nuts, unfortunately, have been the culprits for many people, unfortunately - spinach is the absolute highest oxalate food you can eat. Bok choy and lettuce are much better choices.

Learner1

The only way it organic acids bio markets. Very accurate test.
Hello Habs, just wondering which tests/exams did you take to measure glutathione and oxalate levels?
The Great Plains OAT test is the only one that does oxalates. It doesn't show oxidized vs reduced glutathione or alpha lipoic acid or vitamins A and E which would be useful to know.

HABS93

The Great Plains OAT test is the only one that does oxalates. It doesn't show oxidized vs reduced glutathione or alpha lipoic acid or vitamins A and E which would be useful to know.
Yeah that's the one I was talking about

HABS93

Feel free to disagree, but oxalates are a toxin and will build up and cause an entire cascade of problems whether or not you agree with the diet. Spinach and nuts, unfortunately, have been the culprits for many people, unfortunately - spinach is the absolute highest oxalate food you can eat. Bok choy and lettuce are much better choices.
None of those options have protien. Being 145 as a male is not healthy. I actually feel better after eating my almond and peanut protien bars as a snack. The low oxalate diet will cause other problems as it takes out key things for gaining muscle. I'm really sick of hearing stuff like this yet change to what the test says to only feel not one difference in energy or anything. I'm starting to believe most of these test are just a way to make money off sick people.

HABS93

@Learner1 I'm having a really bad day so I apologise if I came off angry. My best friend won't let me rant over a phone call.
So I have to take out spinach and my protien bars with almonds ? It says blueberries and carrots but that's in my veggi smoothie so what do I replace it with?

Tammy

So I have to take out spinach and my protien bars with almonds ? It says blueberries and carrots but that's in my veggi smoothie so what do I replace it with?
If it was me I wouldn't take out spinach regardless of any test. You have mentioned how it was helping you! Why change something that was actually helping?

Last edited:

HABS93

If it was me I wouldn't take out spinach regardless of any test. You have mentioned how it was helping you! Why change something that was actually helping?
It might be the only way to get my glutathione levels back. Supplementing NAC might need t be enough. I take 1500mg right now. My integrative is really confident that this is why I have brain fog sand chronic faitgue. I've never had anyone also tell me it's okay you don't have to worry you will feel normal again. So I'm going with what he says over my gut .

drmullin30

Hi @HABS93 Go habs go!(I live in Montreal and I'm a huge HABS fan 93 was a great year!)

To give you an idea of what oxalates can do I switched to low oxalate diet in June after being paleo/keto for several years.

I'm now on my 21st week of oxalate dumping and it's finally starting to slow down but it hasn't been fun. I have passed kidney stones as well since going low oxalate but I have noticed incredible benefits in mood, energy, joint pain and cognition. I have put on muscle mass and reduced body fat. I can work out now harder than I've ever been able to before because I no longer have joint pain in my shoulders, hips or knees. I haven't had a panic/anxiety attack since eliminating oxalates from my diet.

I have a major problem with oxalates because of several SNPs in that pathway. Oxalates seem to have been a major contributor to my illness. If you are exhibiting high urinary oxalate, you may also have genetic problems in this pathway and if you don't eliminate almonds and spinach (literally the two highest oxalate foods) then you will not heal and will likely only get worse. I eat a lot of meat so that's how I get sufficient protein.

This is a very good article on oxalates. It talks about oxalates effect on glutathione, methylation, yeast etc. https://www.realizehealth.com.au/2015/12/18/oxalates-yeast-and-mitochondrial-dysfunction/

In my experience, after 10 years of treating myself for CF/ME/Asperger's syndrome, methyl b12 and methylation correction is the best way to increase glutathione and open up detox pathways followed by low oxalate diet and finally iodine and selenium supplementation will also raise glutathione. NAC was pretty good for me as long as I took glycine with it but not as effective as the advanced methylation protocol.

drmullin30

I'm starting to believe most of these test are just a way to make money off sick people.

I agree wholeheartedly with this! I don't do any testing anymore. I never learned anything useful and I can't afford to waste money on them. Blood levels tell you nothing because they are either extremely transient minute to minute or tightly controlled by the body through homeostasis. Even my doctor admitted that urine oxalate testing isn't reliable because this status changes hour to hour.

I go by mainly by symptoms coupled with my knowledge of my SNPs and that has revealed the most information.

I did HTMA years ago, but that was too slow to be useful on methylation protocols because the healing and detox create rapid physiological changes over the course of days or weeks. HTMA is useful for long term trends and revealed my initial heavy metal problem but wasn't useful on methylation protocols.

I've had my TSH tested during bouts of hyperthyroid symptoms and when I was hypothyroid. They revealed nothing as it was always within normal range but the iodine thyroid protocols I did were vital to helping me heal. Not supported whatsoever by testing or doctors.

It's certainly not everyone's experience but doctor's and testing never helped me in any way shape or form when it came to this disease.

HABS93

@drmullin30 I agree with this the only test that's sort of useful is OAT as you can see sort of what's going on with methlytation.
Knowledgeable of SNPs? Is this genetic ? I've heard of this term but gets really confusing fast. That's great you've had some sort of success though!
I have so many theories that make sense but impossible to proove.

HABS93

Hi @HABS93 Go habs go!(I live in Montreal and I'm a huge HABS fan 93 was a great year!)

To give you an idea of what oxalates can do I switched to low oxalate diet in June after being paleo/keto for several years.

I'm now on my 21st week of oxalate dumping and it's finally starting to slow down but it hasn't been fun. I have passed kidney stones as well since going low oxalate but I have noticed incredible benefits in mood, energy, joint pain and cognition. I have put on muscle mass and reduced body fat. I can work out now harder than I've ever been able to before because I no longer have joint pain in my shoulders, hips or knees. I haven't had a panic/anxiety attack since eliminating oxalates from my diet.

I have a major problem with oxalates because of several SNPs in that pathway. Oxalates seem to have been a major contributor to my illness. If you are exhibiting high urinary oxalate, you may also have genetic problems in this pathway and if you don't eliminate almonds and spinach (literally the two highest oxalate foods) then you will not heal and will likely only get worse. I eat a lot of meat so that's how I get sufficient protein.

This is a very good article on oxalates. It talks about oxalates effect on glutathione, methylation, yeast etc. https://www.realizehealth.com.au/2015/12/18/oxalates-yeast-and-mitochondrial-dysfunction/

In my experience, after 10 years of treating myself for CF/ME/Asperger's syndrome, methyl b12 and methylation correction is the best way to increase glutathione and open up detox pathways followed by low oxalate diet and finally iodine and selenium supplementation will also raise glutathione. NAC was pretty good for me as long as I took glycine with it but not as effective as the advanced methylation protocol.
Yes the Habs are my pride and joy! This disease tri s to take the enjoyment of being a fan but it's too deep. First time I went to bell center I had tears of joy seeing the history 🤣.
This is my thoughts at the moment of what to do.
I think I have low stomach acids why I can stomach aches every day . Getting apple cider vinegar for this.
I have candida and SIBO and IBD . Most likely doing something towards my symptom's.
I have multi chemicals I've been around I shouldn't have. Worked at a oil refinery in oil tanks , factory job working with grinding aluminum down(covered my hair and face) , worked in a factory with rubber and formaldehyde.
Smoked cigs and weed everyday 17-26. I took other drugs randomly .
All these things contributed to these symptoms. Now what is the way out? I have no idea I've spent 2.5 years researching and still nadda except minor improvement in energy

drmullin30

Yeah I used to smoke both, drink like a fish, work on airplanes in airport hangars with exposure to fibreglass, fire retardants etc. and also I did landscaping and worked in factories and also spend the better part of my 20s going to raves doing all kinds of other drugs (I realized decades later I was self medicating) as well which all contributed to my toxicity. You are definitely heavy metal toxic. I quit all of that 10 years ago even quit smoking weed for two years but now I make my own cannabis edibles with organic ingredients. Cannabis has always been a very big help for me but smoking is bad news for my health.

So SNP stands for Single Nucleotide Polymorphism and Nutrigenomics in my humble opinion, is the future of health care. The ability to tailor medical treatment individually based on your specific genetic (and epigenetic) needs. Not everyone in these forums agree with this as it's still not excepted by mainstream allopathic medicine despite the success of doctors like Ben Lynch, James Roberts and Amy Yasko. If you're up for it, I've attached one of her books. The one that helped me the most. She has a lot of great information on heavy metal toxicity like aluminum that could help you.

Many people with CF/ME, Autism, cancer, heart disease etc. have these chronic health issues due to significant metabolic problems caused by genetic variation or SNPs. This may explain why some people develop autism, CFS or are susceptible to vaccine injury while others can smoke, drink eat like crap and never get sick. It also provides a better explanation for over/undermethylation than the one Walsh expounds. I couldn't make any real progress in my mental health until I got this done and started treatment accordingly. There are lots of companies offering the gene mapping service. I used 23andMe and it changed my life.

Attachments

• Amy yasko.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:

HABS93

Adding on I forgot to mention they found sarcoidosis in the lungs lympnodes. Treated that with prednisone. Made me feel 10x worse . Think the sarcoidosis is the build of toxins by definition itself

HABS93

Adding on I forgot to mention they found sarcoidosis in the lungs lympnodes. Treated that with prednisone. Made me feel 10x worse . Think the sarcoidosis is the build of toxins by definition itself
Suppose to be for the message lol. Hit wrong button