• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High fasting blood sugar

Mary

Moderator Resource
Anyone has high fasting blood sugar first thing in the morning but all other diabetes markers are ok?

Is it a PEM thing?
My fasting blood sugar first thing in the morning is always around 96 - 98, in the normal range but near the top. Doctors are always a little concerned but my diet is very good, hardly any sugar or white flour or simple carbs. My AIC number is great, no pre-diabetes. I think the high fasting number in the morning has to do with the screwed up glucose metabolism which is part of ME/CFS.

About 15 years ago it got up to about 105 or so and my doctor wanted me to take metformin. I read about metformin, decided I didn't want to take it, so took a rigorous look at everything I was eating, and found that my protein bars (which I ate too many of at that time!) were high in sugar. So I switched to ones with a lower sugar content and eat fewer, and have been able to stay under 100. I am rigorous about almost no sugar.

I have a sister and brother, both without ME/CFS, who are both somewhat sugar junkies, and their blood sugar is in the 80's! It's not fair! :aghhh: But that's the way it is. I do worry about them because I do believe they're flirting with pre-diabetes -- they do know all about my concerns . . .