• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High-dose circumin (curcumin) greatly improves my sleep

cigana

Hi,

I am now quite sure about this because I've tried it on and off many times, and each time I go on the "plan" I can sleep till 7-8am (going to bed 10-11pm). Otherwise I will wake up at 3-4am.

Essentially I consume a lot of circumin/curcumin, in the form of turmeric and a supplement called Enhansa (supposedly highly absorbable curcumin). I cook with turmeric in oily food, and consume this for my 3 main meals. I put in about 3tsp of turmeric (15g say) into one large batch which lasts me about 1-1.5 days worth of meals. On top of that, I have one 600mg tablet of Enhansa with my morning meal and two with my evening meal (fat helps absorption of curcumin).

Curcumin reduces inflammation in the brain. But it has so many other positive effects it's hard to say which one is doing the job. All I know is it works.

If I half the dose the effect wears off, it really is important for me to go to high doses. When I first tried it, I went to very high doses just to see if I could get an effect.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I tried ENHANSA (the curcumin product produced by Lee Silsby Phamacy) a couple years ago. It worked well for me for a while, to lower brain inflammation and relax the jangle brain. Then it stopped doing its magic. It is VERY expensive, and I am not sure it is that much better than the cheaper kinds.

Asklipia

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Between the enhansa and the spice you might be consuming 2,5 grams of curcumin per day.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1207/s15327914nc5502_2#.Umv2vXDjftQ

Curcumin is really good, it even restores HPA function in "adrenally fatigued" rats. Raised their cortisol. I am about to try it in the highly bioavalable form provided by Life Extension! Hope it helps my shitty sleep too, that would be fantastic.

Last edited:

Hip

The curcumin content of turmeric is only around 3%, so if you are eating around 10 grams of turmeric in you food each day, that will only provide around 300 mg of curcumin.

However, turmeric contains several other active principles apart from curcumin, including: ar-turmerone, atlantone, and zingiberone, which may also be of benefit.

I find both curcumin and turmeric seem to reduce my anxiety symptoms, but I find turmeric works much better for this than curcumin.

Last edited:

CCC

Maybe this is of interest for older women who have the typical sleep issues of that age: some relatives have just had amazing success with just plain cooking tumeric in warm milk before going to bed. (They even love the flavour) Nothing else an Australian doctor might think of has worked. Neither have any of the herbal things I have come across. So thanks again to PR.

Just to add, turmeric is also somewhat high in soluble oxalates (1795 ± 59mg/100g turmeric which means about 180mg in 10g) being discussed on the thread https://forums.phoenixrising.me/ind...eatment-by-victoria-bohne-in-norwegian.44871/

I was just reading about it in this paper: https://www.researchgate.net/public...Soluble_Oxalate_Content_of_Some_Indian_Spices (hope I shared the links right, don't know what I'm doing yet).

Maybe it's not as likely as the reasons already stated... But whatever the reason I'm glad it's working for you and by the sound of it has also helped others :)

MonkeyMan

Here's my experience taking massive doses of curcumin. For several months, it helped me sleep much better, and it improved my bowel movements. But then the sleep benefits began to taper off, and I felt increasingly groggy the next day. So I stopped taking it. And then, severe insomnia occurred (much worse than before I began), and it's continued even though it's been weeks since I stopped the curcumin.

So, be careful.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
Curcumin counters viral inflammation from Nf-kb which is present from several viruses including epstein barr virus. The most cost effect and easiest dose form is C3, time released.