• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High Cholinesterase enzyme activity

Has anyone seen high levels of High Cholinesterase enzyme activity in serum? My levels are 439 U/L while the reference range is 170- 420 U/L

I have gut issues, food sensitivities and anxiety issues. Was wondering if I have high levels of Acetylcholine. Any thoughts

pamojja

Was wondering if I have high levels of Acetylcholine.

Probably the opposite, low levels due to high cholinesterase.

https://selfhacked.com/blog/anticholinergics/
Anticholinergics and Cholinesterase Inhibitors
Cholinesterase inhibitors prevent the action of the enzyme cholinesterase, which breaks down acetylcholine. They are used to treat symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease. Anticholinergics act in opposing ways and can reduce the effects of these drugs by blocking the receptors for acetylcholine [95].

I was thinking that I may be low on Acetylcholine but I do react horribly to choline supplements and egg. Am confused. I am thinking if the high cholinesterase enzyme activity is an adaptation for high levels of acetylcholine

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
I have been taking very small amounts of alkaloids from a night shadow: Tomatoe green.
I put the stalk (from organic tomatoes!) for 5 seconds into hot water,
then adding from this water a small spoon into a drink.

When I firstly drank directly the whole water I got head aches.
Later it took half a year until it got slowly out of work.
It was a very pleasant effect, although not lasting for long, rather.
The stalk can be used at least three times, augmenting the time in the hot water.

Some ppl try to get high from alkaloids, but it´s apparently a bad trip, and one even can die from it.
After a trip though, everything is normal again (to my knowledge).

@percyval577 I don't seem to do well on nightshades. It can be due to leaky gut as I do have gut issues. Another hypothesis is that I may have high acetylcholine levels and the cholinesterase enzyme is working at high levels to reduce the acetylcholine levels. When I take nightshades they act as cholinesterase inhibitors thus indirectly increasing acetylcholine levels. This is a hypothesis and I am looking to see if anyone has ideas

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
@racerbiker39 another experience, from last year, I have sketched here. May be it could be an influence in one or the other direction? https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/everyday-s-influence-on-acetylcholine.60869/
High AChE rather lowers ACh, so if you are high in AChE and also have bad effects from eggs,
it should be an indirect effect - which might be different here then.

There is also a thread on Choline on the forum, I couldn´t get too much clue out of it. Also, last year I couldn´t eat eggs (I guessed because of the Choline), but now eggs are so very helpful - I need to say, I am improving, in a very slow manner (mainly from a low manganese since 2015, and now even from other things).

Since last autumn I use Acetate [sic! I mean vinegar] (which also arises from the breakdown of Acetylcholine, together with Choline), so as well a somehow indirect effect, I guess.
Firstly I took a drop in 0.2 l water, now I found out that one drop in 0.4 l water is better, and after having had a sip of lemon juice in water, or a sip of cocoa. I would recommend using a straw, acetate is quite potent.

Last edited:

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
@racerbiker39

1. important correction, I meant vinegar, which is a 5 or 5.5% solution of acetate.

2. I had sleep difficulties, severe mental fatique which used/s to worsen quite soon, very uncomfortable leg and arm pain, a kind of skin pain, physical fatique after longer walking though could ride bike rather well, breathing issues sometimes, my gum receded at some patches after having switched from tea to coffee, to name the most annoying ones. A rosacea used to vanish the last years in autumn for three month along with my mecfs symptoms. I have only under very specific circumstance muscles pain. I should meet the CCC, since I am improving I display even more symptoms, though the overall weight is much better.

3. The first impact I got obviously from borrelia (ticks), the catastrophy then arose later with EBV.

My latest regime I posted here: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/thalamus-basalganglia.61714/#post-2235453 (It appears that the vitD-tea thing is best to do half an hour or more after a yoghurt or other meal).

Best regards.

Last edited:

ljimbo423

Another hypothesis is that I may have high acetylcholine levels and the cholinesterase enzyme is working at high levels to reduce the acetylcholine levels.

That hypothesis makes sense. I think I might have high acetylcholine. Whenever I take even small doses of lecithin, phosphatidylcholine, choline, etc. I get sick.

I feel absolutely miserable, with loose stool, headache, aches and pains, horrible brain fog and bad fatigue.

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
When I take nightshades they act as cholinesterase inhibitors thus indirectly increasing acetylcholine levels. This is a hypothesis and I am looking to see if anyone has ideas
It was my understanding that alkaloids are anti-cholinergics, not anti-cholinesterases.
It seems that I am indeed right:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkaloid#Biological_role
---
The most common plants containing anticholinergic alkaloids (including atropine, scopolamine, and hyoscyamine among others) are:
---
So you would need to change your judgement into the contrary.

If you cannot tolerate nightshades, you may be low in choline,
but if you cannot tolerate eggs, you may be high in choline.
Or there is some indirect mechanism at work, difficult to understand at first glances.