• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hesperidin Methyl Chalcone: potent neuro-anti-inflammatory and pain relief.

WantedAlive

I’ve been trialling Doctor’s Best Hesperidin Methyl Chalcone (HMC) on and off more than a month. This product is remarkably potent against brain fog and neck pain, in fact I’d say HMC is as effective as naltrexone for me (which I use concurrently). HMC is by far the most impressive supplement I’ve tried. I’m hoping it proves helpful for other members too. Chalcone derivatives could prove useful in ME/CFS, I really hope more options become available.

What is Hesperidin Methyl Chalcone?
Hesperidin is a flavone found in citrus fruit, on its’ own has had no reported benefit on PR. However, as a ‘chalcone methylated derivative’ it possibly has enhanced anti-inflammatory potential that appears ideal for ME/CFS. There is another product, Cyclo 3 Fort, containing Ruscus aculeatus, hesperidin-methyl-chalcone and ascorbic acid, which is prescribed for chronic venous disease in Europe.

The science of Chalcone Derivatives
A number of natural and (semi-) synthetic chalcone derivatives have demonstrated admirable anti-inflammatory activity due to their inhibitory potential against various therapeutic targets like Cyclooxygenase (COX), Lipooxygenase (LOX), Interleukins (IL), Prostaglandins (PGs), Nitric Oxide Synthase (NOS), Leukotriene D4 (LTD4), Nuclear Factor-κB (NF- κB), Intracellular Cell Adhesion Molecule-1 (ICAM-1), Vascular Cell Adhesion Molecule-1 (VCAM-1), Monocyte Chemoattractant Protein-1 (MCP-1) and TLR4/MD-2, etc.
Read here: eurekaselect.com/155594/article

[Chalcones and their] significance as antidiabetic, anticancer, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antioxidant, antiparasitic, psychoactive, and neuroprotective agents.
Read here: frontiersin.org/articles

Hesperidin Methyl Chalcone in research:
HMC protects against metabolic syndrome [1]
HMC inhibits joint pain and inflammation via NFkB [2]
HMC enhances cartilage tissue repair [3]
HMC protects against inflammation and pain in mice (TRPV1, OS, NFkB) [4]
Hesperidin as a neuroprotective [5] [6]

How to use HMC (and avoid the side effects):
  • Take single dose 250mg – 500mg with breakfast (feel effect within 30-45min). Note: taken without food may cause abdominal pain or discomfort, and any later dose may likely cause insomnia.
  • HMC comes as 500mg. Personally, I think 250mg – 300mg is as good, certainly good to start with.
  • HMC may cause stomach pain on day 3-4, if so suspend using for 2 days then resume, pain should not recur.
  • HMC didn’t interact well with CBD Oil for me. HMC taken morning and CBD at night is OK, but even then, I would overheat at night. Strange interaction with CBD Oil for me.
  • HMC may warrant caution with meds for blood pressure, thinners and cholinesterase inhibitors.
  • HMC seems to last 24 hours, maybe more depending on dosage. Effectiveness is reduced ~30% with continuous use, maybe experiment with pulsing (eg. day-on day-off, or 5 days-on 2-off, etc).

The noted side effects of HMC are abdominal pain, diarrhea, gastritis.
I got abdominal pain day 3 or 4, but this did not recur after a two-day suspension. I did not get diarrhea and I didn’t aggravate the gastritis I have had with ME.

HMC is relatively cheap and worth a try, available at iHerb, Amazon and Douglas Labs. If you do try HMC, could you please report your experience on this thread to help other members learn how this product worked for you, thanks.

Thanks for posting about this. I took 500mg daily with breakfast for a little over a month, and it didn't improve any of my symptoms. I didn't experience any side effects while I was on it. Hope more people find it helps them. :)

godlovesatrier

Thanks for the reply. I've decided to stick with orovitoics and try lactoferrin instead. A forum member who's only on twitter now said she's still using it and it really helps her fatigue. So I'm gonna give that a go first as probiotics are helping me loads.

godlovesatrier

So I just started nootropics hesperidin. Which isn't methyl chalcone.

I felt ok really after the initial dose. But a science paper says blood serum levels don't peak for 7 hours so possibly not surprising. I felt fine but I also felt quite high and had more energy than usual.

After dinner I experienced terrible diherrea which I can only assume was the hesperidin going to take a short break and try again.

I didn't really have any abdominal discomfort tho. So that was odd. But the fatigue in my legs was really bad. So I can't decide if this was some sort of anti microbial effect or if it was just the side effect from the diherrea. My legs often go weak and I get fatigue with ibd.

godlovesatrier

Ok so second hesperidin experiment effects much worse than the first.

Diherrea and abdominal issues in the evening again with some evacuation a few hours after taking the hesperidin as well, so 2 instances of diherrea in one day actually.

I had an allergic reaction after taking it where my mucous membranes of my mouth became swollen and very mildly itchy. The exact same reaction I have to fruit basically. Part of my gums have swelled up and have not yet gone back to normal. Also my skin was red and fairly itchy on the back of my hands and I felt heat in my skin an hour after taking it.

I did take an anti histamine which had no effect. But I woke up today feeling terrible, brain fogged and generally unwell. This compares to the last 4 days where I've felt really very good. It seems like my body doesn't need much of the wrong thing for it to go in the wrong direction quite rapidly these days.

I've taken some quercitin to see if that calms things down.

godlovesatrier

Thank you. Haven't had much luck lately with new things. They all seem to make me feel a lot worse.

Baikal extract just seemed to crash me but it could have been doing me good at the same time. Tried that 6 times.

Lomatium I took for about a week or two and felt herxy the entire time. To be honest it could have helped me quite a lot but I felt way worse on it and was unwell for about a week after stopping it. I've taken it before without any real problems.

Hesperidin was the covid 19 preventative as it blocks ace2 attachment. But yes definitely a no no. The gum behind my two front teeth is still swollen. When this happens (very rarely) takes a few days to go back to normal I've noticed.