• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help with supplements?

anni66

mum to ME daughter
I have got back some DNA results from nutritionist for my daughter, which do not look too good re methylation and detoxification. In a way this supports the hunches we have had with something objective.
However I have a query related to proposals for supplements going forward - we have been advised to start B12 ( dropped last month due to adrenals) an antioxidant and a low dose multivitamin. Should I query B9 as we seem also to have folate issues?

MTHFR c677T
MTHFR A1298C
MTR - AG (+/-)
MTRR -GG (+/+)
with
CYP1B1 - GT(+/-)
NOS3 -TT(+/+)
NQ01 -CT (+/-)
Sorry if format is not quite right, I am new to this - I've requested rs codes as these were not supplied

from tests last year we have low glutathione - ( not much info on GSTs apart from M1 being absent and T1 being present)

Any hints for a clue appreciated

Learner1

While the genetics are helpful to know, you need to know what's actually going on with her biochemistry, as other genes and many environmental factors can impact how those genes are behaving. Though with that combo, its extremely likely that folate and B12 will be needed.

If you can, have a Genova Diagnostics NutrEval FMV with Amino Acids run. It should give you good info do you don't have to guess and fight symptoms as so many people do. Where I live, they have an Easy Pay prepayment program that brings the cost down to $189, a great value.

If you can't do that, get methylmalonic acid run, which is the best test for B12 status. Not serum B12 which is not helpful. And RBC folate, RBC magnesium, MCV and homocysteine. A Doctor's Data provoked urine metal test might be useful as if methylation has been insufficient for a long time, toxins may have been stored.

These should give clues as to what's going on.

When starting methylstion supplements, you don't want to start with folate. You need to get the processes further downstream functioning. Optimize the gut microbiome, majecsure she ingests plenty of fiber (vegetables) and water.

Then ensure she has B1 and molybdenum (NutrEval tests for these) to support the transsulfuration pathway. Then adequate protein/amino acid intake to support glutathione production.

Then you work on the methionine cycle. You can add quite a lot of methylB12, but you need adequate B6, B2, magnesium, trimethylglycine and in some cases, methionine or potassium.

Once that is all working, then you add 5-MTHF.

Working it in this way is like clearing out a freeway traffic jam...you clear out the cars at the front before the ones in back can start moving.

If the ratios of the cofactors are wrong, many symptoms can result - mood changes, depression, anxiety, irritability, insomnia, headaches, nausea, intestinal discomfort. These are not a sign to stop altogether, but a message to reevaluate and tweak the ratios.

If you overmethylate, niacinamide is the antidote, and if you mobilize too many toxins and the body is overwhelmed, large doses of curcumin (Meriva) can help.

Best wishes...

anni66

mum to ME daughter
Thanks @Learner1 - especially for coming back so quickly.

Genova Nutreval is around £600 here and outwith my budget at moment.

We did take a multivit and sublingual B12 previously within our protocol, however hair test in March showed 4 low pattern and nutritionalist cut these out.( Interestingly a 4 low pattern is also indicative of calcium signalling issues which some research has highlighted as an issue)

Worked on gut last year. H Pylori found, treated and gut health built up via diet and probiotics.

ACHT test showed low base cortisol hydrocortisone was a bad experience we are just coming out of.

Previous blood panels have all been within normal ranges. Blood magnesium cane back as OK last November although we know intracellular Magnesium is low from ATP profiles test last June.it' s my understanding that blood tests for magnesium are not wonderful as most is in tissues.

I will try and get homocysteine and folate checked via our GP

There is Aluminium showing up as an issue- sulfur pathways issues for sure. We have had hints that glucuronidation is suspect since she was 4, however no doctor has paid the slightest attention to this -detox will have to be done at some point.

There is a touch of high functioning autism- which would make complete sense now ...

Thanks @Learner1 - especially for coming back so quickly.

Genova Nutreval is around £600 here and outwith my budget at moment.

We did take a multivit and sublingual B12 previously within our protocol, however hair test in March showed 4 low pattern and nutritionalist cut these out.( Interestingly a 4 low pattern is also indicative of calcium signalling issues which some research has highlighted as an issue)

Worked on gut last year. H Pylori found, treated and gut health built up via diet and probiotics.

ACHT test showed low base cortisol hydrocortisone was a bad experience we are just coming out of.

Previous blood panels have all been within normal ranges. Blood magnesium cane back as OK last November although we know intracellular Magnesium is low from ATP profiles test last June.it' s my understanding that blood tests for magnesium are not wonderful as most is in tissues.

I will try and get homocysteine and folate checked via our GP

There is Aluminium showing up as an issue- sulfur pathways issues for sure. We have had hints that glucuronidation is suspect since she was 4, however no doctor has paid the slightest attention to this -detox will have to be done at some point.

There is a touch of high functioning autism- which would make complete sense now ...

@anni66 I have High Aluminium on my hair mineral test analysis report as well as issues with sulfur and sulfates. I get anxious when I take anything that contains sulfur and sulfate. Where did you read about the connection of aluminium and sulfur? What did you do to resolve the issue