• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help!!! Neurotoxin in my brain due to Methylcobalamin B12 and Mercury Poisoning!

kisekishiawase, I used to buy everything at GNC until I discovered I could buy online much cheaper. Once you start buying a lot of supps it can save you a lot of money. My two favorites are vitacost.com and iherb.com (coupon code HAW103 for $10 off your first purchase). Vitacost is a little cheaper (after factoring in shipping), iherb usually ships out very fast and offer free shipping if you purchase a certain amount.
i buy from GNC not because i really like their product actually but because its more reachable since the store is nearby.

yes i know iherb.com, i shop there too. but in here the DHL sometimes/usually stealth charges for handling fee, bank, storage, licence, etc which usually cost the same as the product i buy. so it could turn out as expensive as GNC.
im interested in hydroxycobalamin too but i can only find 1 product @iherb :(
well i took green veges everyday add some veges on almost every meal.
i dont think i should take folate yet. will consider it later because the candida, bacteria issue. and it could also add fuel to the methylation process. so its better to wait i think.

sregan yes thats the one. i wanted to try NAD to but the NOW FOODS is out of and i dont know if it will be restocked or not. so i have to wait untill that to buy my other supplements too.
did the AOR gave you jittery/ palpitatioin tachycardia? cause i read methylation caused that. thats why i thought of trying hydrox12 since it says its more tolerable.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
kisekishiawase

As someone mentioned above, getting a 23and me test would show which type of B12 you tolerate best. Mine showed hydroxy - which I kinda knew already, but good to see it in print.

sregan

sregan yes thats the one. i wanted to try NAD to but the NOW FOODS is out of and i dont know if it will be restocked or not. so i have to wait untill that to buy my other supplements too.
did the AOR gave you jittery/ palpitatioin tachycardia? cause i read methylation caused that. thats why i thought of trying hydrox12 since it says its more tolerable.

@kisekishiawase I did not tolerate it too well. I seemed to be getting the B12 from it but it was causing me to feel worse also. Methyl B12 works without any side effects. For the Genetics I thought you had to look at COMT. I thought I would be indicated for HB12 but do much better on MB12

@kisekishiawase I did not tolerate it too well. I seemed to be getting the B12 from it but it was causing me to feel worse also. Methyl B12 works without any side effects. For the Genetics I thought you had to look at COMT. I thought I would be indicated for HB12 but do much better on MB12
so the hydroxb12 cause worse side effect than mthylb12?
kisekishiawase

As someone mentioned above, getting a 23and me test would show which type of B12 you tolerate best. Mine showed hydroxy - which I kinda knew already, but good to see it in print.
who mention that on this thread?

anyway i google about 23andme but found some site saying negative things about them.
http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message2241936/pg1
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2011/04/why-23andme-genetic-testing-is-a-waste-of-time-and-money/
http://sandwalk.blogspot.com/2007/12/dna-geneology-scam.html
http://www.spenceforensics.com/dnaancestry.html
also does the dna hair analysis similiar to it?

anyway i google about 23andme but found some site saying negative things about them.
A hyper-paranoid rant, mostly saying results are made up (easily disproven by the many related people who have gotten their results, and it's unlikely there'd be any "null" results if they were making things up). And then there's something about other companies making guesses about famous people who you might be related to (I haven't seen 23andMe do this, though they will report famous people from the same haplogroup).

The claims about having results done "somewhere else" with "totally different results" are also extremely vague. There are also other people who have had results from two different sites (one responding to the rant below) who haven't mentioned any disparate results.
This one seems rather petty: a combination of ignorance, nitpicking, and feigning extreme stupidity for dramatic effect.
1) I'm not American so the disclaimer about genetic info not being used by health insurance companies doesn't apply to me. (She's australian, and entitled to health care there.)
2) That protection doesn't apply to Americans applying for life insurance. (So? Planning to get a life insurance policy in the US soon? Do ANY companies actually ask for genetic data?)
3) I freaked out because I have a 1.21x greater chance of a heart attack than the general population. (Maybe she needs to learn a bit more about odds ratios and seek treatment for hysterical reactions?)
4) The research showing risk involved Europeans, hence is irrelevant to me. (Not really. Again, she needs to learn a little more rather than making pseudo-stupid assumptions.)
5) I can't see my paternal ancestry. (Yup. You need a Y chromosome for that.)
6) I don't understaaaaand what it's saying about my maternal ancestry. (Seriously. How hard is to read a chart with labels

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see anything about 23andMe here. Just that some testing services might make misleading claims? I'd like to see specific examples relevant to 23andMe.
The only mention here of 23andMe is that they were accused of "hedging their bets" with regards to someone's ancestry (polish or irish or arabian). Actually Arabian ancestry is extremely similar to European, and Polish and Irish are both northern European - maybe the objections are because these groups tend to look a bit different, hence are presumed to be completely unrelated?

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Phew Valentijin, I was thinking "Oh noooo now I will need to go these links, read them and say why they arent legit" and went to the first, which was the blogger girl one and didnt know where to start. Good that you did a nice outline!

maryb

iherb code TAK122
kisekishiawase
I was just meaning I didn't do well on methyl b12 - was okay on hydroxy - and then I had my 23and me results back which confirmed why - just saying - if its of no interest just ignore it.....

i check the list of countries they ship to but only a few and mine not listed :ill:

"23andMe ships to the following countries and territories. If you do not see your country listed below, 23andMe is not available in your country of residence"

What you don't want to take if you have a body burden of mercury is: Cilantro (no guacamole, salsa, anything with cilantro!!!), Alpha Lipoic Acid and possibly Chlorella. All of these have the ability to bring mercury across the Blood Brain Barrier (in either direction).

Hi could someone please shed light on why cilantro and chlorella won't be advised if body has mercury? In fact, aren't these two often used for removing mercury from body? Several people seem to suggest. But maybe I am not understanding you. Would really appreciate if you can explain.

stridor

Hi could someone please shed light on why cilantro and chlorella won't be advised if body has mercury? In fact, aren't these two often used for removing mercury from body? Several people seem to suggest. But maybe I am not understanding you. Would really appreciate if you can explain.

Hi,
Cilantro does in fact chelate mercury and will cross the BBB. The issues lie with a lack of an established half-life. One is unlikely to be identified because being a plant it is subject to many variables. The active ingredient could vary from one field to the next or one season to the next. There is also the handling, processing and shipping.

And if you have traveled in these circles for long you no doubt are aware that natural products vary a lot from one capsule to the next as well.

All of this may not be a problem if someone is not very toxic. This accounts for the success stories. For someone with serious metal problems this could add up though. If ALA didn't work for me and I had no other choice I would dose every 2 hours around the clock for 3 days and two nights or 4 days and three nights if tolerating the sleep interruption. I would never open a new bottle in the middle of a round, and I would stick with the same company.

I chelated mercury for 4 years using the Cutler Protocol.

All of this may not be a problem if someone is not very toxic. This accounts for the success stories. For someone with serious metal problems this could add up though.

Thank you for responding. Sorry I am a beginner so this may be a dumb question. So what you are saying is that cilantro is good for chelating/removing mercury if you are not very toxic. What does "very toxic" mean. I had mercury amalgam removed almost 4 years ago. Recently I had hair analysis done that showed 0.3 (no units given) of mercury. I used to eat lot of sea food too until the hair analysis came through. So does the above mean I shouldn't take cilantro (in fact I add ground coriander spice powder as cooking base for my food often. That is the only form of cilantro I currently take)? And does this also mean I shouldn't supplement with Chlorella even after assuming and acknowledging what you said about differences between one batch to another of natural supps?

I chelated mercury for 4 years using the Cutler Protocol.

I have undermethylation and high histamine. Would you know if it is important that I chelate mercury first before starting with methylation protocol? I had read somewhere that is the case. But if it takes almost years as mentioned by you to remove mercury, that sounds kinda discouraging in that I will have to wait long before I can take methylation protocol.

stridor

@kkrathi
I am not an expert on hair tests. Unfortunately, I went with the challenge test instead.
By very toxic, I am mainly talking about symptoms. There are lists of symptoms for Hg-tox various - take a look and see if you think that you have many of the symptoms.

Chlorella doesn't matter as much. At best it should be thought of as an adjunct as it does not cross the BBB and therefore can not effectively help most of us. It is supposed to capture hg in the bile as it enters the intestine so that it is not available to be reabsorbed.

I have so many gut issues and absorption problems that I didn't want to try anything with the potential to bind minerals.
Because of the difference in action with chlorella you do not have to worry about the things like product uniformity etc that I mentioned before.

IMO it is not important to chelate mercury first. But....and this is a big "but"......don't expect to be able to make the improvements you hope for in addressing methylation when there is mercury around. I do not know of any reason that the two projects can not be tackled more-or-less together.

That said, each of these can make a person feel like crap ramping up. You would be advised to get established on one before starting the second. I can't be more specific than this. If you adapted as easily as I did to mB12 and mfolate I would say start with them first. But if you struggle as some do then I might start with chelation.

Hg does not leave the body without a fight. It rips and tears all the way out. It takes a long time to remove Hg carefully. Expect 1+ to 3 years. I took four years but I was near the top in terms of toxicity.