• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help needed with DH's supplementation plan

Gondwanaland

Methylation:

COMT V158M rs4680 AA +/+
COMT H62H rs4633 TT +/+
VDR Taq rs731236 AA +/+
MTRR A66G rs1801394 GG +/+
MTHFR C677T rs1801133 AG +/-
MTHFR 03 P39P rs2066470 AG +/-
MTHFR A1298C rs1801131 GT +/-
MTRR A664A rs1802059 AG +/-
BHMT-08 rs651852 CT +/-
CBS A360A rs1801181 AA +/+

Detox:

CYP1A2 164A>C rs762551 AC +/-
CYP1B1 L432V rs1056836 GG +/+
CYP1B1 R48G rs10012 CC +/+
CYP2C9*2 C430T rs1799853 CT +/-
CYP2D6 S486T rs1135840 CG +/-
CYP2D6 100C>T rs1065852 AG +/-
CYP3A4*1B rs2740574 CT +/-
GSTP1 I105V rs1695 GG +/+
GSTP1 A114V rs1138272 TT +/+
SOD2 A16V rs4880 AG +/-
NAT2 R197Q rs1799930 AA +/+

All I know is he can't take methyl donors...
Our experience matches Yasko's clinical observations. The Genetic Genie report seems to be spot on. Low tolerance to sulfur foods, high need for BH4 (royal jelly already on board).

Roadblock: no HyB12 available locally (only for IM), so we will have to order it online. He apparently tolerates well CyB12, and I suppose he could take a low dose of it while we wait for the HyB12 delivery.
The best he felt this year was upon drinking his 1st can of Red Bull... Not a repeatable experience though. And I don't think he would tolerate such high amounts of taurine on a long term.

Also I don't think magnesium glycinate is the best form for him. But it was what I had at home, and he took it for a while and hasn't taken a NSAID for over a month :thumbsup:

He suffered several years with sciatica/herniated disk - his dr. even suspected ankylosing spondylitis. He had surgery of the ulnar nerve compression, is on SSRI and his circadian rhytim is out of order. Mercury is involved, and he has been bitten by tick larvae in 2003 with me. :ill:

I will be very thankful for tips from anyone with similar SNPs and insights from more experienced members.

Gondwanaland

Thanks, Roxie! Magnesium actually changed our lives. No more cramps or muscle aches. But the finding the right form of Mag took me some time.
I am going to order HyB12 online for him. I already have some sublingual drops at home, but they seem to do nothing for me.

roxie60

How is his D3 (maybe my lymie brain missed the comment)? Of all the SNPs you listed majority of mine are hetero except for a couple like VDR, we are the same that is why I'm asking about his D3 level. Navigating these health issues especially wondering if our genes are playing a role is like trying to walk through a thick uneven forrest. So much energy required to get thru it all and a very disjointed medical system that is not patient health focused at all. My problem is remembering to take all these pills and supps. Dr suspects I have lyme and we know I have coinfections so after years of mistreatment it is hard to get this stuff understood and under control. Hope you both are doing better.

Gondwanaland

Thanks for checking up on us, @roxie60 :angel:

His vit D 25 OH is hard to come up. Taking the same supplementation as mine he could only get to 29 while I got to 43.

He has a new medical order to test for it again, plus his 1,25 vit D for the first time.

He was on an abx round which reactivated his drug(paracetamol)-induced hepatitis, so he is in pretty bad shape right now :(

Does anyone know if it is safe to supplement with vit D3 with this condition?

We also have some co-infections.:grumpy:

roxie60

My vitd3 (d 25 oh?) last time was 44. 29 is so very low. Your hubby is dealing with so much. Sorry im not sure about taking vitd3 supplement when dealing with hep and lived issues. Hope he rebounds soon.

So far anaplasma and mycoplasma have been identified. Had an ENT tell me today that mycoplasma is easy to irradicate with treatment I couldnt possibly still have mycoplasma. I am seeing him for chronic sinusitis. I was wondering if the mycoplasma could be contributing to the chronic sinus probs.

Changexpert

Also I don't think magnesium glycinate is the best form for him. But it was what I had at home, and he took it for a while and hasn't taken a NSAID for over a month :thumbsup:
Why do you say that glycinate is not the best form? Does it build up sulfur or something? What do you think is the best form in this case then? I am asking this because I've tried three forms, magnesium oxide, citrate, and bisglycinate and bisglycinate was the only form that relieved constipation. On the other hand, I remember reading a post somewhere that chelated magnesium is not good for the long-term, but forgot what the reason was.

Have you tried giving thiamine or benfotiamine? How about nicotinic acid or NADH? Molyb is supposed to be good, but I have not felt any effect of them at 500 mcg/day.

Gondwanaland

Why do you say that glycinate is not the best form? Does it build up sulfur or something? What do you think is the best form in this case then?
It turned out that he does well with glycinate. He doesn't have constipation, and glycinate is said to be a form that doesn't upset the gut. I could never tolerate it though, because it seems that my body immediately turns supplemental glycine into ammonia.
On the other hand, I remember reading a post somewhere that chelated magnesium is not good for the long-term, but forgot what the reason was.
Chelated might contains aspartate and glutamate forms which are excitotoxic.
Have you tried giving thiamine or benfotiamine? How about nicotinic acid or NADH? Molyb is supposed to be good, but I have not felt any effect of them at 500 mcg/day.
I don't think these will help him right now. Not sure though.