• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

HELP NEEDED with CFS VIDEO

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Last week I finished making a CFS video. I used black and white solarized images and African style music that has a sinister undertone, and posted the "story" in white letters across the screen. IT came out really well. Very powerful and to the point regarding the level of suffering of CFS patients, and the ongoing political crap we've gone through because of our pathetic government agencies.

The PROBLEM is that I can't get it out of the Final Cut program into Quicktime--in order to post it on youtube. I spent 30 hours making the video itself and now another 20 hours trying to solve the technical problems.. which are a really hellish obstacle course of technology that I can't make ANY sense of. Never had this problem before.

Does anyone here have a clue how to work with video? I am really stuck. Let me know if you have a thought about this. I really would like to get this video out there ASAP.

thanks

V99

What version of final cut do you have? and what version of quicktime? it may be a compatibility issue.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
What version of final cut do you have? and what version of quicktime? it may be a compatibility issue.

Yes, that could be it. I have Final Cut 4.5 and Quicktime 10.0 (51).

When I spoke with the Mac support folks, they said they thought it could also be a compatability issue btwn my Mac OS 10.6 (which I have on my laptop--which I used to make the video) and the Final Cut 4.5--which they said may be "too old" to be compatible.

The BASIC PROBLEM I am having is that I cannot EXPORT the video into Quicktime. It will only export the first 11 seconds...? My video consultant (a guy who works at the local tv station) told me to trash preferences, which I did, and to make sure I did not inadvertently create in and out points, which I hadn't. He had no other ideas what to do.

After trying over and over to finish the job on my laptop, I resorted to attempting to transfer the video to Quicktime on my older computer (in the moldy room I was avoiding like the plague), but when I tried to open the video there, it indicated that all my media files went "offline" which makes absolutely no sense at all, because the media files are all on the external hard drives that I had plugged into the stupid freaking computer, so they should have shown up without a problem.

THEN I tried to transfer the video onto a DV tape, so that I could re-import it and finish it on the old computer... Initially the camera would not tape the video at all. After a grueling 2 hours, of pressing the same buttons over and over, the camera finally did transfer the video... BUT without any audio!

So THEN I figured I would just transfer the video minus audio and re-add the audio. BUT when I tried to do that, the Final Cut program kept indicating that there were "dropped frames" and wouldn't allow me to capture it.

Arrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhh is an understatement for how I feel at this point. Someone please tell me what to do.

V99

I'm trying to see if there is anyway to do this, but these are the formats that Youtube accept.

we recommend that you save your videos as either QuickTime .MOV, Windows .AVI, or .MPG files these are the most common formats and they work well within our system. We specifically recommend the MPEG4 (Divx, Xvid) format at 640x480 resolution with MP3 audio. Resizing your video to these specifications before uploading will help your clips look better on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/t/howto_makevideo

Can you create any of these from with that version of Final cut?

V99

EDL is an edit decision list. It will allow you to recreate an edit on another machine, but will then require you to re digitise the material. There are compatibility issues with this also, especially if you go to an older machine.

XML I think is something similar ish.

Final Cut Pro HD 4.5 needs QuickTime 6.5 or later (Not sure when the later stops) You could try to reinstall an older version of quicktime, but again compatibility issues will come up with the OS version you have. May be worth a shot though.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA37638?viewlocale=en_US
Final Cut Pro HD 4.5 (see Note 10)
Works with these configurations:
PowerBook G4 (all models)
iBook G4 (all models)
iMac (Flat Panel) (all models)
iMac G5 models ( with AGP graphics). Models with PCI Express graphics are not supported.
eMac (all models)
Power Mac G4 (all models except Power Mac G4 (PCI Graphics))
Power Mac G5 (all models with AGP graphics). Models with PCI Express graphics are not supported.
Xserve (all models - see Note 11)
Mac OS X 10.3.2 or later
QuickTime 6.5 or later

I know, very frustrating. If I were you, I would try to get the thing onto tape again. Try to work out why the sound did not go last time.
I will keep looking see if I can find anything.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Final Cut Pro HD 4.5 (see Note 10)
Works with these configurations:

PowerBook G4 (all models)
iBook G4 (all models)
iMac (Flat Panel) (all models)
iMac G5 models ( with AGP graphics). Models with PCI Express graphics are not supported.
eMac (all models)
Power Mac G4 (all models except Power Mac G4 (PCI Graphics))
Power Mac G5 (all models with AGP graphics). Models with PCI Express graphics are not supported.
Xserve (all models - see Note 11)
Mac OS X 10.3.2 or later
QuickTime 6.5 or later

Based on the above, my Final Cut Pro 4.5 SHOULD work with my Mac OS 10.6 and my Quicktime 10.0.... so WHY doesn't it?

I did try to burn a DVD and got the same problem... telling me my media files were off line...? no sense at all.

I am going to pull out my hair and scream now.

V99

I can only think that Quicktime has moved pasted being compatible.

Screaming for you, it's very annoying. Very!

Is there another program you could go thorough I wonder, will have a look.