• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help for Insomnia by cooling your head

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
This could be exactly what I need, I love putting an icebag on my head when I have a headache, it's so soothing, nows there is evidence that it can help insomnia.

http://healthland.time.com/2011/06/17/tip-for-insomniacs-cool-your-head-to-fall-asleep/

"The body's circadian clock, which regulates sleep and wakefulness, keeps the body at its warmest during the day and starts to lower body temperature in the evening to help us doze off. For those with insomnia, however, researchers found that the extra brain activity was keeping the brain too hot to sleep.

When Buysse's group gave 12 insomniacs a cap to wear that contained circulating water at cool temperatures, they were able to get them to fall asleep almost as easily as people without sleep disorders."

illsince1977

A shadow of my former self
If I have a headache/migraine at bedtime I often use an icepack while trying to fall asleep. I can't say I've ever noticed it easing my insomnia. Wouldn't it be a wonderfully non-invasive solution if it did! ;) :headache:

I use an ice pack under my head and neck to sleep every time I lay down. I cannot settle without it. I freeze my icepaks then wrap them in velour towels to protect my skin. When my ice pak warms up, I wake up. I change them several times a night. I use them in the car to keep my head tempreture down as well. Last time I had surgery, I took them in with me to the hospital, and when the nurse could not get me to settle post operative,(my blood pressure and temp where up and out of control) hubby demanded they get my ice paks and I settled immediately.
I hardly mention it, because, I think people think I am mad. lol

illsince1977

A shadow of my former self
Well, I'm intrigued and I'm going to try again. I will try to remember to report back here! That is if I can even remember to try this again and remember I wanted to notice whether or not my insomnia is lessened. Just not sure my experience means anything if I'm not willing to forgo my insomnia meds to test it out. Am I trying to deconstruct this too much? I don't think you're mad Cfswombat; I may be though!

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Love the ice packs - always in my freezer they are an essential when going to bed, cool my head down after a few minutes, I immediately start relaxing and I can then go to sleep. Wonder if its the brain inflammation that makes the tissues so warm and this just restores the temperature to the correct one?

alex3619

For most of my history with ME/CFS I have been addicted to having a fan on when I go to bed, even in winter. I rug up and let it blow on my face. I know some of that is white noise, but now I wonder if some of it is also the effect described in this thread. Of more concern I have a relative who is the same, addicted to a fan when sleeping. She is not currently sick, but it does make me wonder. Bye, Alex

Thank you for sharing this guys :) What interesting reading!

I get a hot face anyway and have to keep my face elevated off the bed or it becomes too uncomfortable so I will definitely try this!

I did used to use a mini fan during the night when the face burning became too much but perhaps I will try this again for longer and see what happens!

If anyone knows where to purchase a cooling cap in the UK, please do share :thumbsup:

Stay cool everyone! ;)

I discovered the benefits of cold packs but info on the net seems pretty scant.

For RLS, I use the clay type hot/cold packs wrapped around my feet. My feet have always been hot at night and now that I have (side effect of Doxepin) RLS, the cold is a little uncomfortable but way less so than RLS.

I discovered that putting a cold pack, the kind you freeze solid and then toss into a cooler lasts about 4 hrs. I put one into a sock (usual socks, not dress socks) and under my neck. I sleep on my side so that works out chilling my carotid artery and vagus nerve I think.

Just a few hours ago I awoke in the middle of the night. I lay awake for 2 hours, not at all sleepy. I'd forgotten about this track because I hadn't used it since last summer.

Now I'm convinced (for me at least) SOP going forward should be to assess if I feel warm or normal body temp. As I understand it, body Temps should nadir around 2 AM. Anything greater than 30 min awake, grab the cold packs. They usually get me asleep in under 1/2 hour and sometimes with 15 min.

Admins, I think this thread is worthy of a sticky in a catagory of insomnia.

Wolfcub

The core body temperature should drop to encourage sleep, and usually drops quite a bit during sleep. In the depth of the night temperature is usually at its lowest. If people are running a 96.4 "normal" temperature at those times, that might possibly be enough to encourage insomnia (?)

I wonder if the Chinese medicine system may hold some clues? The "Yin-yang" balance? "Heating and cooling" foods?

It's just a thought....