• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Heavy Metals

*GG*

thanks for the link. i'm taking 6g/2X day of chlorella as a binder and cilantro(2drops/2Xday/week increasing 1 drop per week to a maximum of 10 drops/2Xday or whatever is tolerable). each jarrow cap is 750mg of PectaSol Chelation Complex (Modified Alginate and Modified Citrus Pectin). how many jarrow caps should i take at 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 drops 2x day of cilantro?

I took the Chlorella from ProHealth. FYI Perhaps this could save you some money?

lancelot

I took the Chlorella from ProHealth. FYI Perhaps this could save you some money?

everything sold and private labelled PH(house brand) supplements are way overpriced and low quality in general. the best quality and best price for chlorella is jarrow Formulas Yaeyama Chlorella Powder -- 1000 g for $43.22 at vitacost if you have no problems with powder. only buy from name brand high quality companies(jarrow, doctor's best, country life, metagenics, etc) as tested by consumerlabs. I was in the supplements business trust me on this because there is no regulation to supplements. your best deals for vitamins and supplements are at costco/sam's(trunature brand mostly), vitacost, luckyvitamins, iherb and amazon.

dannybex

Well...

I just started Klinghardt mercury detox protocol with cilantro and chlorella(6gX2/day). Should i worry?

Do you want an answer or an argument? :)

Seriously Lancelot, I wouldn't touch either with a ten foot pole. Read too many negatives, and some very serious ones at that. Neither are true chelators, as Leela says, they just move metals around...which could be very dangerous.

Regarding Dr. K., I'll let some other folks tell you what they think of his protocols...

Check out this post, and the replies to it:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Autism-Mercury/message/261954

lancelot

Do you want an answer or an argument? :)

Seriously Lancelot, I wouldn't touch either with a ten foot pole. Read too many negatives, and some very serious ones at that. Neither are true chelators, as Leela says, they just move metals around...which could be very dangerous.

Regarding Dr. K., I'll let some other folks tell you what they think of his protocols...

Check out this post, and the replies to it:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Autism-Mercury/message/261954

of course i'm not here to argue just want the facts. "should i worry" is my question to everyone doing a metal detox with chlorella and cilantro? i do have a nutrition background and there is nothing wrong with taking chlorella, spirulina, or other algae as a nutritious whole foods supplement. i've finished many pounds of chlorella and spirulina in the last couple years for general health not as a protocol to anything.

i have to admit, i don't know about the effectiveness or safety of supplementing with cilantro as a neuro-metal-mobilizer. is cilantro something for me to worry about? i'm going real real slow and i haven't had any bad reactions at 2drops/2xday first week. planning to take 2 weeks off per protocol before moving to 3drops/2x day.

i see your link and i don't really know what to believe when i see people say "chlorella is for the mentally ill". i don't know if cilantro is unsafe to use or not, but i do know chlorella is 100% safe and nutritious no different than powdered vegetables or fruits. why don't you tell me what you're uncovered about dr K's chlorella and cilantro protocol. thanks!

dannybex

of course i'm not here to argue just want the facts.

I was just joking about the 'do you want and answer or an argument' thing. It's a line from an old movie. :)

"should i worry" is my question to everyone doing a metal detox with chlorella and cilantro? i do have a nutrition background and there is nothing wrong with taking chlorella, spirulina, or other algae as a nutritious whole foods supplement. i've finished many pounds of chlorella and spirulina in the last couple years for general health not as a protocol to anything.

i have to admit, i don't know about the effectiveness or safety of supplementing with cilantro as a neuro-metal-mobilizer. is cilantro something for me to worry about? i'm going real real slow and i haven't had any bad reactions at 2drops/2xday first week. planning to take 2 weeks off per protocol before moving to 3drops/2x day.

i see your link and i don't really know what to believe when i see people say "chlorella is for the mentally ill". i don't know if cilantro is unsafe to use or not, but i do know chlorella is 100% safe and nutritious no different than powdered vegetables or fruits. why don't you tell me what you're uncovered about dr K's chlorella and cilantro protocol. thanks!

I actually missed that comment that "chlorella is for the mentally ill" comment. That's ridiculous of course, but there are clearly many people who feel very strongly that it can be very harmful for some people.

It's my understanding that it may be 100% safe if one has no mercury issues and/or is low in sulfur, but is not the best choice if one is dealing with mercury or other heavy metals, because it is high in sulfur, which is not good if one already has high sulfur levels (sulfur stirs up mercury but doesn't chelate it).

If you haven't gotten worse while taking chlorella, then perhaps you are low in sulfur?

Cilantro -- here's what Cutler says: ""There is some superstition that cilantro helps, and it really may, but it isn't clear how to use it."

And Dr. Amy Holmes: ""Cilantro. Untested. A few reports that it MAY cross the blood-brain barrier and chelate mercury, but no data. Please bear in mind that no one knows what the ingredient in cilantro is that MAY do this. Is every cilantro equal? Who knows? I don't see how one could possibly be even somewhat sure that you are keeping a relatively steady blood level of THE INGREDIENT when we don't know what THE INGREDIENT is or if all cilantro has the same amount of it. And if anything in mercury chelation is more important, I can't think of it."

Klinghardt himself has been discussed here many times. A search will turn up more info.

Best of luck,

d.

lancelot

It's my understanding that it may be 100% safe if one has no mercury issues and/or is low in sulfur, but is not the best choice if one is dealing with mercury or other heavy metals, because it is high in sulfur, which is not good if one already has high sulfur levels (sulfur stirs up mercury but doesn't chelate it).

If you haven't gotten worse while taking chlorella, then perhaps you are low in sulfur?

Cilantro -- here's what Cutler says: ""There is some superstition that cilantro helps, and it really may, but it isn't clear how to use it."

And Dr. Amy Holmes: ""Cilantro. Untested. A few reports that it MAY cross the blood-brain barrier and chelate mercury, but no data.

Best of luck,

d.

after looking at all the posts in the link you provided, there is no data that supports cilantro as an effective chelator. But there is also no data to say chlorella is unsafe and not effective at binding heavy metals such as mercury. here is someone's post that supports the use of chlorella:

In defense of Klinghardt, Chlorella seems to have quite a lot of studies
performed that put an emphasis on its effectiveness at binding with heavy
metals:

Walter Gekeler1, Erwin Grill1, Ernst-Ludwig Winnacker2 and Meinhart H. Zenk1
Contact Information
(1) Pharmazeutische Biologie der Universitt Mnchen, Karlstrae 29, D-8000
Mnchen 2, Germany
(2) Genzentrum der Universitt Mnchen, Am Klopferspitz, D-8033 Martinsried,
Germany

Received: 18 December 1987 Accepted: 29 February 1988
Abstract A Cd-binding complex was isolated from Chlorella fusca and has been
shown to be composed of phytochelating peptides, (gamma-Glu-Cys) n -Gly, n=2–5.
Members of six of the ten classes of Phycophyta revealed phytochelatin synthesis
after exposure to cadmium ions. Phytochelatin was also induced by ions of lead,
zinc, silver, copper and mercury. These experiments uneqiovocally demonstrated
that algae sequester heavy metals by an identical mechanism as higher plants,
namely via complexation to phytochelatins.

Journal of Medicinal Food
Protective Effects of Chlorella vulgaris on Liver Toxicity in
Cadmium-Administered Rats
To cite this article:
Jae-Young Shim, Hye-seoung Shin, Jae-Gab Han, Hyeung-Suk Park, Byung-Lak Lim,
Kyung-Won Chung, Ae-Son Om. Journal of Medicinal Food. September 2008, 11(3):
479-485. doi:10.1089/jmf.2007.0075.
Published in Volume: 11 Issue 3: September 18, 2008
The biochemical mechanisms of Chlorella vulgaris protection against cadmium
(Cd)-induced liver toxicity were investigated in male Sprague-Dawley rats (5
weeks of age, weighing 90–110 g). Forty rats were randomly divided into one
control and three groups treated with 10 ppm Cd: one Cd without Chlorella
(Cd-0C), one Cd with 5% Chlorella (Cd-5C), and one Cd with 10% Chlorella
(Cd-10C) groups. The rats had free access to water and diet for 8 weeks. Body
weight gain and relative liver weight were significantly lower in the Cd-0C
group than in Cd-5C and Cd-10C groups. Rats in the Cd-0C group had significantly
higher hepatic concentrations of Cd and metallothioneins (MTs) than in the Cd-5C
or Cd-10C group. The hepatic MT I/II mRNA was expressed in all experimental
rats. MT II was more expressed in the Cd-5C and Cd-10C groups than in the Cd-0C
group. Morphologically, a higher level of congestion and vacuolation was
observed in the livers of the Cd-0C group compared to those of the Cd-5C and
Cd-10C groups. Therefore, this study suggests that C. vulgaris has a protective
effect against Cd-induced liver damage by reducing Cd accumulation and
stimulating the expression of MT II in liver. However, the details of the
mechanism of C. vulgaris on liver toxicity remains to be clarified by further
studies.

(so they have their results but don't know why)

Here is one of my searches if you want to check the other studies:
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=chlorella+and+heavy+metals+absorption+in+hum\
an+body&hl=en&btnG=Search

I found several studies that noted the qualities of chlorella in binding with
heavy metals especially in environmental clean up tasks.

I won't be spending the rest of my day rebutting however will add that my son's
anxiousness and overall bad attitude greatly increase after a detox (MB12 shot,
glutathione cream) treatment UNLESS I also give him chlorella p. slightly
before. He feels better, simply put.

Best of luck to all of us trying to help our children,
Theodora

Catseye

I just started chelation 3 weeks ago, with incredible results. I began with magnesium edta IVs and just a few days I ago I added oral DMPS, 125 mg, along with alpha lipoic acid, 100 mg, like Andy Cutler recommends. I am using the DMPS every 12 hours rather than 8 like Andy says, and using ALA every 4 hours - 4 days on and 3 days off, and the edta IVs twice a week. I have also prepared for this for several years by fixing the leaky gut problems, restoring the methylation cycle in the liver, cleaning up and restricting my diet, removing my amalgam fillings and paying particular attention to the adrenals. And I take lots of supplements, with emphasis on digestion, the liver and the adrenals. I am babying my liver during chelation with a special cocktail twice a day - 1 tbsp each of ACV, EVOO and fresh lemon juice and also drinking milk thistle tea and taking liver cleanse pills. And some red meat in the diet is supposed to help, too. My body is responding nicely - it's restoring my central nervous system function back to normal and my thinking is clearer. I am not getting any liver stress symptoms since starting the cocktails and red meat, though my first round of edta was quite uncomfortable without them. I plan on sticking with this for the next 7 weeks and that should be the end of it - cfs, I mean. After that, occasional chelation as maintenance and I'll have to figure out a way to safely eat fish because I'm never going to let this happen again.

I had actually began this latest round of chelation with a few days of rectal edta but I like the IVs better - they are loaded with 20 grams of vitamin C and I get a hefty dose of glutathione at the end. I guess I am finally ready for chelation this way is why it is working so well. It literally took years to get everything in good enough shape, with my poor body contending with mercury and other metals the whole time, interfering with various enzyme systems and preventing complete healing. From everything I've learned, CFS has 2 main components after awhile: infection and metals. I'm on top of the metals right now and for the bugs, I am going for some Photo Luminescent therapy on Monday. It is also supposed to have a normalizing effect on enzymes and hormones, this should be interesting! I can't wait to see what happens on Monday. I can't find anyone who has done uvbi therapy for their chronic fatigue. Since infection and metals are a given for cfs, the uvbi should work just as well as the chelation is working. :)

I had tried some oral forms of chelation a few times before but never had much luck. I always felt bad before they even got a chance to really do anything. Stuff like porphyrazyme, metalloclear, PCA Rx, chlorella and something called mercury magnet. I also tried zeolite which never made me feel bad but it certainly didn't have the dramatic effects like the current DMPS is having. I read that DMPS is more effective at removing the inorganic mercury and the DMSA is more for the organic mercury. Organic mercury isn't bad by itself, but it will get converted into the evil inorganic mercury by the body. In the articles about mercury vaccines being safe, they conveniently refuse to point this out. So the plan is to use DMSA later on to get the last of the mercury and then just focus on not letting any more back in the body. Geez, I really miss fish! I'm so intent on not letting merc back in that I'm probably going to take some DMSA whenever I eat fish, if I ever eat it again!

globalpilot

How refreshing to hear a success story catseye, thanks for posting.

I have a couple of questions:
- is someone helping you with dose and testing etc or are you doing this on your own?
- how much are you paying for your DMPS for a month and how many milligrams does it work out to ?

anniekim

Great to hear you are doing so well and congrats on all your hard work. May I ask how you knew you had a leaky gut and what did you do to heal it and also how do you know its healed?Many thanks in advance

Catseye that is great to hear! I also am having positive effects from using oral DMPS. This is the first time in 11 years I have felt optimistic about anything I've tried for my health and I am so excited to hear someone else having good effects from it too. I had tried DMSA, chlorella and other various "chelators" with no results.

It may take a while to fully heal as I am using much smaller doses of DMPS than you, but I get severe hives with higher doses so I have no choice. Last time I had to get a dexamethasone injection and take prednisone from the hives as my throat was starting to swell shut. haha Oh the things I'll do to get better. :D

From everything I've learned, CFS has 2 main components after awhile: infection and metals.
Wow I couldn't agree more. The infection issue might go away once the metals are out of the body because mercury really disrupts the immune system.

anniekim

Catseye, does a doctor administer the EDTA magnesium ivs? Im clueless whether you can do these yourself or only a doctor can administer? Thank you

Catseye

Hi guys!

About the dosing, I found a really good chiropractor who is very adept at muscle testing and that's how I worked out that not only was the DMPS not going to be harmful for me, but we worked out a dosing schedule, too. Also, it's not much different than Andy Cutler's protocol which I read, I have his book.

I'm using 125 mg of DMPS every 12 hours for 4 days, then 3 days off. And each pill is $15, so it will come to $120 per week. I'll continue on at least until the 20 IVs I prepaid are done (doing 2 every week) and I have 14 more to go, so by the end of July I'll be done and then I'll do some more muscle testing to see if I need more or not, plus the toxic element testing measuring metals in the urine. And I will probably continue on with "maintenance" doses infrequently, forever. I will absolutely not let this - cfs - happen to me again.

About leaky gut, that was the first real indication on lab tests that something was really wrong with me. A comprehensive digestive stool analysis, CDSA, ordered by Dr. Gary Farr, who I found online to help me, showed all my digestive markers were off, way off, and I was full of bad bacteria and yeast. Between all the enzymes being off, indications of inflammation and all the bad bacteria and yeast, leaky gut is pretty much a given. All that happened 4 years ago and I began a very aggressive plan of diet and supplements to eradicate all the bad bugs and get the gut back in shape. It was very slow going because I was in really bad shape. I would do a few things differently now to speed it up but it took literally years to get my gut back in shape.

My last CDSA from 2 months ago is finally good enough to be acceptable. All the enzymes and fatty acids were good but I still had some bad bacteria. Still, no inflammation and nothing really wrong. So that means digestion is working, the liver is not being overwhelmed and the gut flora could be better but is not all that bad. And no more leaky gut! I think the gut stopped being leaky a couple of years ago, but I still had lots of bad bacteria and yeast for a while. It took a good 2 years of very restricted diet and supplements before the gut was okay enough to allow the methylation cycle to begin working again in my liver.

I remember when that happened, it was a 2 week period where something major turned back on in my body. It was a whole new avenue of energy and feeling good that turned back on. From reading all of Rich Van K's stuff, I could tell it was the methylation cycle that had turned back on, plus I was taking supps to support methylation.

I really like the pills by Biotics Research called ADP, an emulsified form of oil of oregano. ADP is very powerful and I was taking 5 pills, 3x per day on an empty stomach. You do this for 2 weeks and then just a maintenance dose of 3 with every meal, or 9 per day. I'm actually doing this again right now to get rid of the latest bacteria in my gut. After the first 2 weeks, then I begin adding probiotics.

I don't think anyone with CFS can avoid getting CDSAs done regularly and going from there. If your gut is messed up, then anything else you do treatment-wise is not really going to do anything to clear up what's really wrong. Even if you go after bugs one by one, like lyme or some of the nastier viruses, if your gut is all messed up, your immune system will be out of whack. I remember a pubmed article stating that the bone marrow's ability to produce components of the immune system is directly related to bowel flora balance, meaning if you are full of bad bacteria and yeast, your bone marrow will not build immune system components properly. I do remember going to the ER when I first became ill and they told me my bone marrow was not making white blood cells, or something like that. It's too bad nobody connected it to my gut way back then. Perhaps a lot of misery could have been avoided.

Okay, had my photo luminescent therapy yesterday. I watched them stick a big tube in my arm, run blood through the light machine, and fill up a bottle with what looked like about 3/4 of a cup of blood, hard to tell. And then they run it back through the machine and right back into my arm. Oh, and they injected some ozone into the bottle, too. I didn't feel anything at all. It was about an hour later or so, when I was home, I noticed I was able to walk around more and not have as much of an abnormal stress response when I sat back down. My last adrenal crash was so bad, it was my central nervous system that got all messed up. I had plenty of energy, but my hpa axis was unable to regulate my hormones properly and I couldn't hardly do anything without crashing. I got enough of an effect to show me it's working in a good way for me. it wasn't a subtle thing that I could "maybe" attribute to it - something is definitely working better, my CNS. So more for me. At $150 a pop, it's worth it.

I definitely got some of what I wanted from the uv therapy: my central nervous system is functioning better already and I finally feel like my old self again. I'm planning on going back for more, maybe next week or the week after, not sure yet. It didn't crash me or give me any negative side effects at all. But like most alternative therapy, I think you have to be ready for it. I get the feeling that if I had attempted the uv therapy or the chelation before my gut was ready and the time was right, then they would not have worked so well and I would have been really discouraged and confused.

I just had more chelation today, more edta IV and a DMPS pill. I can tell something's happening, I feel it, but it is by no means unbearable or even uncomfortable. It will start to get a bit uncomfortable on day 3 but I'll be able to stick it out the 4 days like before and then take 3 days off. I'm just keeping up with liver cleanse pills and milk thistle tea and eating a proper diet and taking a bunch of supplements. It took a long time to get sick so it's taking a long time to heal. At least I'm finally in the home stretch. Sure took an awful lot of time, effort, money and torture to get to this point, though. Hey, there's an acronym: temt, what it takes to cure CFS - time, effort, money, torture! Now it's time for my afternoon ACV cocktail!

Catseye

Hey, great, too bad about the hives and swelling, though! And yeah, the things we'll do to get better.

Mercury ruins our immune systems and nervous system function and they are hell to make well again, that's for sure. And it only takes a few years to figure it all out! I'm eternally grateful for "Dr. Google" or I'd still be a mess.

Catseye

Yes, a doctor's office is administering the IVs. When I go, just the nurses are there and they do it. It started as more of a plaque removal technique with this doc, he's a heart doctor who realized that chelation was healing people. So the edta IVs I'm using are mostly effective against calcium buildup in the veins, but it will remove lead, cadmium and mercury, too. But the DMPS is supposed to be the strongest mercury chelator that is somewhat safe to use. I saw the website called dmpsbackfire where people got severely messed up from it and don't recommend it. But they went into it blind, probably didn't do their homework (first mistake), trusted their doctor (bigger mistake) and had some allergic reaction. Everything that beatcfsandfms.org has said has come up true so far in their CFS protocol.

I'm also using Dr. Wilson's adrenal formulas - Adrenal Rebuilder (glandular with hormones removed), Adrenal C Formula (has time released C and minerals) and Herbal HPA (has adaptogens ashwaghanda and Siberian ginseng, this is the one without licorice because I'm taking hydrocortisone).

It seems like you are paying an awful lot for your DMPS. I'm paying about ~$2.80 for 50mg pills. If you want the name of the pharmacy I'll PM you.

What were/are your worst symptoms if you don't mind me asking. :D

Hey, great, too bad about the hives and swelling, though! And yeah, the things we'll do to get better.

Mercury ruins our immune systems and nervous system function and they are hell to make well again, that's for sure. And it only takes a few years to figure it all out! I'm eternally grateful for "Dr. Google" or I'd still be a mess.

Catseye

Yes, please let me know what pharmacy!

My worst symptoms in the past have been extreme weakness to the point of incapacitation, inability to think/make decisions and chest tightness. A couple of months ago, it was extreme weakness with dehydration, a vicious cycle of crashing where I couldn't do anything without crashing, and extreme depression. And unbearable agony from having my hormones and neurotransmitters all messed up. Right now, it's just central nervous system dysfunction since I had already fixed the guts, liver and mitochondria energy production. I can't do anything without having an abnormal stress response. Even though I'm being relatively inactive, my body is unable to manage hormones and stress properly. It's a lot better since the UVBI treatment on Monday. But I still have to be careful or I could crash again.

I expect as I continue with chelation and have a few more UVBI sessions, it will continue to normalize until I'm all the way back to normal. And then it will be a matter of preventative maintenance with continued diet and supplements and ocassional chelation and UVBI. Of course, I'll be living my life like I should have in the first place, with proper diet and exercise and no bad habits. Before this latest crash, I was doing yoga almost every day. But I was still unable to do any aerobic activities. I had planned to do chelation when I got up here anyway, then I crashed and had to wait until I had recovered enough to leave the house. I just moved to Florida after being in the Dominican Republic for 5 years. I didn't have access to the chelation I wanted down there.

Rrrr

UV therapy

hi catseye,

i'd love to know more about the UV therapy. can you send me to a website that describes the process your practitioner uses? i'll private message you this question, as well.

rrrr

Catseye

I had saved a few pages in bookmarks, after reading all I could about it on several different ones. Here are the ones I saved:

http://www.fflt.org/understanding_light_therapy.html

http://drandrewlipton.com/vlog/in-office-services/iv-therapy/photoluminescence/

http://www.proactivehealthnet.com/healthBB/archive/index.php?t-473.html

Most of them focus on the "vaccine effect", as I call it. I only found a few places that mentioned other healing effects I wanted, the most important one being the restoration of the central nervous system function. I don't think anyone really knows how it seems to initiate an overall healing response by the body (besides the vaccine effect), and it would be different for everyone, but I'm very impressed and will go back for more.

Lotus97

Well of course I am not qualified to tell you what to take. I can tell you what I take, which is the Pectasol from Econugenics, three caps two times a day, which totals 900mg MCP plus 1.35g alginate per dose. I have taken this same dose whether I am using it alone or with
another chelator. It seemed to help me mop when I was using DMSA, ALA, or EDTA.

I'm planning on taking MCP (Modified Citrus Pectin) and Algin/Sodium Alginate also (different brand though). Do I need to take my mineral supplements (and other supplements or prescription drugs) at separate times of the day? I don't plan on doing a high dose of any chelators or binders, but I want to make sure I absorb my supplements.