• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Heart Rate Variability Conundrum

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Jyoti - I didn't even know HRV went over 100! Mine is always around 30 - 40, sometimes a little higher. The Elite HRV app analyzes my numbers and then gives me a score of between 1 - 10, with 10 being the highest meaning I am all set to have a very good day. And I've gotten a 10 on days that I am crashed! :mad: I really haven't found it to be a useful tool . . . I hope you get some answers from others here who are much more knowledgeable about this than me!

Jyoti

And I've gotten a 10 on days that I am crashed!
I think these things are geared to athletes, not people with chronic fatiguing illness..... I have been wondering how your experiment (maybe this should be added to this thread: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/poll-experimentation-win-lose-draw.85268/ or this one:https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...rk-in-the-long-run.85267/page-2#post-2362615?) with HRV was going. Sorry to hear you have had so little help from it. I know you were hopeful.

I am beginning to think that my high numbers are actually a sign of a heart gone wild on too much adrenaline rather than one floating on a parasympathetic lily pad. I have no idea why or how my body keeps on making and releasing it, but it seems to have an endless supply. I am surmising that in order to fulfill the obligations I have in the world, I fuel myself on epinephrine while my body--without it or underneath it-- is actually in near total collapse.

Experimentws today with meditation and other forms or what we might call mindfulness--just to see what would happen--and it brought the HRV numbers down into a still high, but less absurd realm (86 during meditation this afternoon--from 168 overnight!). Which is exactly the opposite of what meditation is supposed to do. But...we live in a world where standard advice (e.g., get into your cardio zone for at least 20 minutes a day!) can be lethal.

It is mysterious, to be sure. No way, though, that whatever is happening to my heart has anything to do with being in a state of extreme fitness!

Jyoti

Thanks all for thoughts and ideas.
And look what I found on the Oura site:
Considerably higher HRV levels are not necessarily a good thing. These may be an indication of low autonomic nervous system stimulation, which can be felt as low energy and lethargy.

That pretty much matches my reality!

hapl808

Meditation doesn't seem to improve my HRV at all. I eventually stopped doing it as I don't really enjoy it or find any benefits. I kept trying because it's supposed to be so great for physical, mental, etc. Just doesn't seem to do that for me.