• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Heart beat feeling like it is pounding very hard...feeling and hearing each beat

@skiesareclearing i also have dry mouth but i already drink... :( i dont know if thats the cause
natrium=sodium.
I read on previous page someone mentioned potassium caused palpitation maybe because its imbalance.
I take BB for heart issue.
Is potassium, sodium blood test accurate?

You might want to get your sodium and potassium levels checked. When I went into an adrenal crisis I got that sledgehammer heart beat in the ears and it is a warning something is wrong. I discovered in my case that when adrenal output goes down (sometimes due to true Vitamin A deficiency), you end up with an electrolyte imbalance. In my case as a result the kidneys stopped the normal process of excreting excess potassium. Instead, the appropriate adrenal message they stopped excreting potassium and started excreting sodium (salt) which is a rather quick trip to death if not rectified. I then discovered I had to monitor potassium in my food, avoiding high potassium foods or I would have that heart in the ear pounding, as well as heart malfunctions and pain like a knife in my back through my heart.

@skiesareclearing i also have dry mouth but i already drink... :( i dont know if thats the cause
natrium=sodium.
I read on previous page someone mentioned potassium caused palpitation maybe because its imbalance.
I take BB for heart issue.
Is potassium, sodium blood test accurate?
I found that drinking tons of water, as almost everyone I consulted told me to, did nothing for the dry mouth problem. I'm not sure what did help but it's much better now. Maybe it has to do with taking potassium, because the dry mouth improved since taking potassium for some weeks. I don't know if that's coincidence or a result of the potassium.
As for the potassium & sodium labs, I assume they are accurate. Why wouldn't they be?
If you're not taking potassium, you could try it, starting with a small (99 mg) amount and slowly increasing if it does nothing or seems to be helping. Obviously if you notice your symptoms worsening, you stop. It's a cheap supplement and worth giving it a try. In my opinion. Are you seeing a doctor?

@skiesareclearing the standard potassium sodium blood test came up normal. The sodium is low instead. So im confused. :(
From what i read the magnesium serum blood test isnt really accurate so thats why i ask about potassium, sodium.
Not seeing doctor at the moment cause they arent really helpfull. But maybe later.

Last edited:
@skiesareclearing the standard potassium sodium blood test came up normal. The sodium is low instead. So im confused. :(
From what i read the magnesium serum blood test isnt really accurate so thats why i ask about potassium, sodium.
Not seeing doctor at the moment cause they arent really helpfull. But maybe later.
I wish I could be of help, but I've told you all I know-- or think I know-- and I don't know what else to say. I assume you've read this whole thread; you might find some clues.

hello everyone, hope you all feel better soon, i'm having this problem since 3 years, let me tell you how it started, one day i was having problem with my breath, it's very strange feeling and no body know about it, even doctors didn't know what is it, my breath stops for like 6 or 8 seconds then return, i was feeling i'm going to die, if it continued i would have been died already, i was feeling something in my stomach or behind my lungs, it's between my heart and my belly, something that go down when that was happening to me, i can't explain how exactly it feels like, it feels like when you drive your car from high street then suddenly you go to low street, but it was so bad, when this was happening to me i was screaming for help, it was happening like 5 or 7 times a day, the next day i went to emergency hospital room, they did took picture for my lungs and gave me oxygen, and they gave me medicine, they said i have inflammation in my lungs, i had this before and many people has it, but this usually doesn't make me feel like this,

when i returned home, i took the medicine that the doctor gave me, there was like 3 or 4 medicine, one of the medicine has Penicillin, i took one pill of this and i went to trip to death after 30 minutes, i had a deadly Penicillin allergy, this Penicillin is very dangerous medicine, after reading about it, i read that many people died from Penicillin allergy, my heart rate become so fast, my blood pressure become so high, i was shaking, i couldn't breathe, it was hard to breathe, i felt hard numbness in my belly and hands, i felt i'm really going to die, there was one of my family member with me inside the house, he took me to emergency fast, it was late at night, i remember he was crossing red street lamps and going so fast, he was driving crazy, i remember i was screaming inside the car and asking God for forgiveness because i knew i will die in any second, it was the baddest day in my life, when we arrived, he opened the door for me and hold me, he was screaming for doctors, i remember everybody came to see what's happening, they put me on hospital bed, and gave me 1 medicine injected with needle and another pill, the hospital was not so far, i survived,

after 20 or 30 minutes i felt much better, my blood pressure and heart beats went down, but after 20 minutes my heart beats start beating fast again, they gave me another 10mg pill for heart beat, then after like 30 minutes i felt much better, they said everything good now, i returned home, when i was home i was feeling my heart returned to beat fast again, fast enough, to the point you feel you can't breathe, you feel dizziness and about to fainting, we went back to emergency, they put me on bed and contacted heart monitor, it was fast, i remember it was 140, the first time was faster i think it was 160 beat in a minute the first time after i took the Penicillin, and my blood pressure was 200/100 , the doctor said do you have any heart problems, i never had, and i'm sporty guy and have a muscle fit body, he told me we should do Echo heart picture, but the hospital wasn't having this machine so he gave me a number for a private heart doctor to do this picture for me, it was morning, so i went to that doctor and took the picture, he said you don't have anything, you are young healthy handsome man, i was happy but i told him, i'm afraid that my heart beats will go fast again, what should i do if this happened,

he gave me medicine for that and told me use 1 pill just in case, and that probably won't happen, he said, this medicine that he gave me i take since 3 years, it's name is Concor 5mg, sometimes i take one pill sometimes 2, and i reached to the point where i was taking 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 pills a day, this is very crazy, because this is very dangerous medicine, all doctors won't tell you to take more than 1 pill a day, they usually give one pill 2.5mg and for the hardest problem they give 5mg per day, why i was taking this amount you ask? because my heart beats was going fast and not feeling comfortable,i don't have any other ways to control it, so whenever my heart beats go fast i take a pill ASAP, i went to other doctors and i made another Echo picture and none of them could find the reason and no one fixed my issue, they all said i don't have any problem with my heart, the first issue i had was different, the one i mentioned in the beginning, it stopped, they both dangerous, i kept taking this medicine since 3 years till now,

it does make my heart beats go normal and also my blood pressure, but i still feeling my heart beats, i feel my beats beating hard everywhere cross my body, and you can see my body moving specially in my belly, i feel the beats in my head, in my hands, legs, belly, ears, wherever i put my hand on...even when my heart rate and blood pressure are normal
this my story in short, i don't take more than 2 pills a day, usually i take only 1 pill, and i take them on my responsibility because none of the doctors told me to take 2 pills, i don't go to doctors anymore because no body know my problem, some said that some people has fast heart beats for reasons and some has fast heart beats without a reason that they can find in heart science..

my age is in early thirty and i'm from Jordan, Middleeast,
i usually don't post on forums at all but this discussion made me thinking, i felt i should share my story with you and let you know you are not alone, and maybe some day some doctor might come cross this discussion and try to find solution for people like us,
my english is not so good but i hope you can understand...

at the end, i want to say...i never felt that i has heart that beating almost every second inside my body until i came cross this problem..
i wish you all, a healthy and happy long life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Kat,

I do hope they will do a angiogram, and best of luck.

I had strange heart pounding, missing a beat, and every time I saw my doctor or went to emergency all tests were okay, 120/80, oxygen 97, blood tests normal, ECG normal, and I finally had enough and asked for a stress test (I'm 76), and I passed that with flying colours.

Two weeks after the stress test, I was on the operating table having a quadruple bypass, because I went to emergency again, and all tests were good, but my blood test was two graduations over the high reading of 80 (82), and the doctor said: "We normally let people go home with this reading, but because you have been in here a number of times, we will keep you in to see our cardiologist!" Next morning the cardiologist suggested that I have an angiogram and when he checked the xray, I had four blocked arteries.

Hey man what did you do afterwards? I am also dealing with heart arythmias and strong heart beats on daily basis almost constantly... right now i cant get checked bcoz of the current corona situation, did you fix your problem entirely? Thanks

Stretched

While waiting for tests you might want to try some Potassium (citrate), a readily available supplement. It will likely calm the poundings and arythmias.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
While waiting for tests you might want to try some Potassium (citrate), a readily available supplement. It will likely calm the poundings and arythmias.
I have Afib and potassium used to be my go-to treatment. A large can of low sodium V8 has a big dose of potassium as it is used as a replacement for salt. Often one or two cans will normalize my heart rhythm. You can't take that much potassium in pill form as it could be dangerous but in food form, my electrophysiologist says it is fine. I say it "used to be" because Afib is progressive, so while I still take in lot of potassium, I also have to take an antiarrhythmic medication as well. Potassium in the normal range may not be enough to prevent arrhythmias--my EP likes it to be about 4.5.

I can find Potassium citrate 500 mg (alkaline citrate) in my country, is that what i should take? ty

Stretched

I’ll let someone else answer or confirm this, but it appears viable. There are a dozen supplement forms which would work but the ‘alkaline’ form poses a question - as to what the compound does... .

However, in checking chemistry reference it looks like if it were mixed with water (in body), you get Potassium Oxide, which is a common supplement.

Last edited:

Stretched

<<I can find Potassium (K) citrate 500 mg (alkaline citrate) in my country, is that what i should take?>>
If it were me I would use it. In fact, Potassium Citrate is what I buy. Magnesium Citrate is also a go-to supplement, in common use. I’m curious why the alkaline form???

Last edited:

ellie84

Really? Good to know. I suffer from palpitations. On Saturday I was in bed all day lethargic but with palpitations. It exhausts me and I start to feel anxious because of palpitations, but I'm not actually anxious. I don't have a good heart monitor, but I checked my heart rate on my neck once and it was 95. Generally my HR is always in the 80-90 range, pretty high but not enough to be considered tachycardia. I don't know if I have tachycardia other times, I need to get myself a good HR and BP monitor. I did a 24h heart rate holter, but the results have not been discussed with a cardiology consultant. Highest HR was 142, lowest was 52 during sleep and mean was 82. According to the cardiologist that did the report and to my GP it's normal.
Does it have to be citrate though? I have a potassium and magnesium supplement at home now, but it is potassium gluconate.

Stretched

Does it have to be citrate though? I have a potassium and magnesium supplement at home now, but it is potassium gluconate.
I’m not proselytizing - just sharing experience. I have CAD and 2 stents In heart so I have frequent use and check ups. Again, there are a number of K compounds. K-Citrate is a readily available supplement. Other K-compounds will work. K-nitrate is a common preservative and not a likely candidate for casual palp use.. Mg is also easy to get in a number of compounds: oxide, citrate and maleate are effective and common for casual use. Each has different target uses. Usual caveats apply - check as much as possible. Some of these and other heavy metals compounds can have side effects, especially when mixed.

ellie84

The thing is I know nothing about this stuff, I'm just starting to learn something now from reading on the forum. So I don't know the targets of the different compounds.
Also, maybe the type of compound that is more available depends on the country? I found this supplement at the supermarket. I'm going to finish up this, see if it makes any difference with palpitations and the next time I will check what type of compound is more common here. It certainly helped a lot with a bad muscle pain reaction to an enema.
Thank you for the information!

Magnesium is good second choice, just a little less active that K. I use it mornings and at night. Besides heart it helps GI system and muscles. ‘Top 10’ supplement.

I was taking magnesium citrate for about a month but havent noticed less palps tho.