• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Heart beat feeling like it is pounding very hard...feeling and hearing each beat

I also have had this sometimes more noticeable than other times. I think to some degree I got used to it except for at night. I take melatonin every night or it can keep me up and I feel wired.

daisybell

This is a new symptom for me in the last few days - skipping beats, especially when I lie down but also at times during the day. My HR isn't raised but when I feel my pulse I can clearly feel that there are breaks in the rhythm. I've had tachycardia before, when I was hyperthyroid, but this doesn't feel like that, or indeed the slow rate when I was hypothyroid.

I'm assuming it's just another ME symptom, and don't plan on going to the doctor unless it gets worse. I can't face another "there's nothing wrong'" comment!

I'm glad to find this thread
I found the same case with me
Heart beat hard when do nothing like sitting, lying etc
Have anyone got the answer of this problem since this thread is inactive since jul 2016

I'm glad to find this thread
I found the same case with me
Heart beat hard when do nothing like sitting, lying etc
Have anyone got the answer of this problem since this thread is inactive since jul 2016

Hi--After decades of heart pounding off and on (and sometimes off for years), I have recently gone through some months of very intense palpitations-- strong pounding, racing --it got really wild and very scary.

I told my oncologist and she said dehydration can cause palpitations. That was one clue. I've suffered from dry mouth for years, so I knew I was dehydrated. (Dehydration, however, is not necessarily solved by just drinking more water. I had sought help over the years from various practitioners and they always suggested drinking gallons of water. It just never seemed right to me. I tried. I forced water that I didn't want down my gullet, but nothing changed.)

I looked on this thread and got the idea of low blood volume, which I don't completely understand. But that's another clue.

I asked my regular (functional medicine) doctor and she suggested I was low on potassium, which means the sodium/potassium ratio is off. She also suggested a couple of supplements that help the hydrogen in the water (idehydration means lack of hydrogen) actually get into the cells.

So the clues came together. I started taking two supplements that help the hydrogen get into the cells, and I started taking potassium 99 mg. Nothing happened until I increased the potassium to 2x/day and then to 3/x day. But slowly and surely the heart pounding and racing STOPPED (except with any exertion, which is not surprising given how sick I am). I AM SO PLEASED! Not only because this terrifying episode of months has all but stopped, but because I feel empowered. Going from clue to clue and putting them together. I'm giving myself a medal!

If this worked for me I am confident that it will work for others. I'm too sick and tired to do much research but the sodium-potassium ratio is crucial for everyone (oh, and I also cut back salt a bit, though I use good sea salt and/or Himalayan).

If anyone is interested in the supplements for dehydration, let me know, but I think the main solution here, for me, is the potassium. I hope this helps someone.

Last edited:

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
She also suggested a couple of supplements that help the hydrogen in the water (idehydration means lack of hydrogen) actually get into the cells.

So the clues came together. I started taking two supplements that help the hydrogen get into the cells, and I started taking potassium 99 mg.[...]

If anyone is interested in the supplements for dehydration, let me know, but I think the main solution here, for me, is the potassium. I hope this helps someone.

I've been bothered by a pounding heart since 2012, so I'd really like to know what those other two supplements are. I've got potassium on hand if I need to add it. Thanks.

I can tell you the other supplements, but I think it's the potassium that's been helping most. One is called BioClean, I got it from my doctor, and the other is called H2Elite, which can be found online.You put 1 tsp BioClean in 1 liter of water. I can tell if that's helping. I think the H2Elite is helping because my body seems to want it.

But if I were you I'd first add potassium to your supplements. Try one a day. If it doesn't do anything, try 2. I've gotten up to 3x/day, spread out. That's when I really noticed something. But I'm not out of the woods yet.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I can tell you the other supplements, but I think it's the potassium that's been helping most. One is called BioClean, I got it from my doctor, and the other is called H2Elite, which can be found online.You put 1 tsp BioClean in 1 liter of water. I can tell if that's helping. I think the H2Elite is helping because my body seems to want it.
I get plenty of potassium in my diet, but I'm open to increasing it.

I found H2Elite online, but the only BioClean I could find online was a disinfectant. Do you have more information from the BioClean product label, such as a company name, address or phone?

Thank you!

It's BioClean Hypertonic 3.5. Try that. It has instructions but my doctor adjusted that for me. So I'm a little hesitant to just say go ahead and take it. Or anyway I'd suggest trying the dosage she gave me. My body is so sensitive. Good luck. ... About potassium in the diet; if you are sick with CFS you probably aren't absorbing nutrients ideally, so while you may be eating foods with potassium it is possible you're not getting enough. IMO.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
It's BioClean Hypertonic 3.5.
OK, found it: https://www.shopbiocean.com/en/prod...5-1000-ml-economy-bottle-pure-marine-plasma-r
BIOCEAN® HYPERTONIC 3.5

Looks harmless enough, although they do say " CAUTION: Not recommended for people suffering from high blood pressure, heart or kidney problems or those on a low sodium diet." 310mg sodium per 30ml isn't an issue for me.

I take spironolactone which causes potassium retention so I don't need to supplement with any additional potassium. Lab tests have confirmed that.

I just thought I would post an update on my case. I posted in 2015 the steps I'd taken to attempt to mitigate the palpitations I was suffering from. By 2017 I had become less able to control my symptoms with diet/exercise/biofeedback etc. and I decided to go to a cardiologist for a new round of testing since that hadn't been done since about 2003. Basically, they found that I was still having about 30,000 palpitations per day, but they were no longer the supposedly "harmless" PAC's, but now had graduated to the more dangerous PVC's.

They put me on a blood pressure med (Metoprolol) which had no effect. Then they sent me to an Electrocardiologist. He did some extensive testing, and in the end told me I had two options: do nothing and hope for the best, in which case he said I would likely live a long time without issue (with the palpitations); or, he could perform a Cardiac Ablation procedure on my heart. That would involve "mapping" the electrical impulses of my heart, attempting to locate the "rogue" signal that was causing my heart to beat out of rhythm, and zapping that nerve with a laser to attempt to stop the incorrect signal.

He said there was about an 80-90% chance he would be able to locate the suspect nerve and deaden it. Apparently, according to the physician, there is one particular location that commonly causes the problem (the errant signal). I chose to go through with the ablation procedure. My insurance out of pocket maximum was $7,150, and the procedure cost significantly more than that, so when all was said and done, I was out the whole $7,150. In the end, it turned out that the "bad signal" was coming from that common problem spot, and they were indeed able to zap it.

Since then I have rarely had any palpitations, PAC's, PVC's, etc. For me, it was well worth the cost to no longer suffer from this debilitating problem. I live in Portland, Oregon. If you want the names of my doctors, let me know. Maybe your doctor would be willing to refer you to an Electrocardiologist who can help you also. Good luck to all!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
He said there was about an 80-90% chance he would be able to locate the suspect nerve and deaden it. Apparently, according to the physician, there is one particular location that commonly causes the problem (the errant signal).
I have a similar problem and the most common place for these errant signals to be generated is the 4 pulmonary veins as they enter the heart. They ablate the circle where these veins enter the heart either by freezing or burning with radio-frequency. Both create lines of scar tissue that the errant signals can't cross.
Since then I have rarely had any palpitations, PAC's, PVC's, etc. For me, it was well worth the cost to no longer suffer from this debilitating problem. I live in Portland, Oregon. If you want the names of my doctors, let me know. Maybe your doctor would be willing to refer you to an Electrocardiologist who can help you also. Good luck to all!
Congratualations! The gold standard for Electrophysiologists is being a fellow of the Heart Rhythm Society and it is easy to check the membership online.

I have to myself evaluate whether to get an ablation and so my question for you is how you recovered from your ablation being an ME/CFS patient? That has held me back, as recovery from other procedures has been difficult and most ablations involve a good length of time under general anesthesia.

Stretched

When my heart starts ‘chattering’ I take Potasium Citrate. It almost always allows it to calm down.. Magnesium Theonate also helps in a complimentary way.
The heart and stomach communicate, i.e. through the vagus nerve. So calming the stomach should help the heart function respond in kind.

Lynne B

Please take heart irregularities seriously. In hospital recently for pneumonia I had an echo cardiagraph that showed I had diastolic heart failure. This was the cause of swelling in feet and lower legs I had had for at least five years. So it's worth having symptoms properly checked rather than relying on your own reasoning.

Cheers.

Stretched

Please take heart irregularities seriously. In hospital recently for pneumonia I had an echo cardiagraph that showed I had diastolic heart failure. This was the cause of swelling in feet and lower legs I had had for at least five years. So it's worth having symptoms properly checked rather than relying on your own reasoning..

I second this as primary. Other panaceas assume no serious pathology.

I have a similar problem and the most common place for these errant signals to be generated is the 4 pulmonary veins as they enter the heart. They ablate the circle where these veins enter the heart either by freezing or burning with radio-frequency. Both create lines of scar tissue that the errant signals can't cross.
Congratualations! The gold standard for Electrophysiologists is being a fellow of the Heart Rhythm Society and it is easy to check the membership online.

I have to myself evaluate whether to get an ablation and so my question for you is how you recovered from your ablation being an ME/CFS patient? That has held me back, as recovery from other procedures has been difficult and most ablations involve a good length of time under general anesthesia.
Thank you for the thorough explanation, I couldn't explain it that well. As for the recovery, it was fast and painless. My leg was a little sore for several days, and I had to take it easy for a week. I had my surgery on May 25th, 2017. I told my doctor that I had previously signed up for a 5K Terrain race to be held on June 3rd, and asked him if it was okay for me to go ahead and run. He said if my leg felt good enough to run I should be able to do it. 9 days after surgery I was running through the hills and creeks, climbing obstacles, carrying sandbags, etc., with no problem from my heart or my leg!

Last edited:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
As for the recovery, it was fast and painless.
9 days after surgery I was running through the hills and creeks, climbing obstacles, carrying sandbags, etc., with no problem from my heart or my leg!
That is great to hear and very encouraging. I am taking drugs now to prevent Afib but I believe that the drugs will always fail after a time so ablation may be in my future too.

similiar like mine. But standard thyroid blood test came up fine. And i already take beta blocker :(

Already watch that. But isnt there a cure/help to it? :( its really problematic, debilitating.
What does it mean when your heart contract hard. Is it what makes it punching out of your chest even though its not fast?(and worse when its also fast)
So far i have read it related to electrolyte balance, hormonal, adrenal, taurine, dribose, b12. But still a blur.

@skiesareclearing thanks for the info. But im confused about pottasium natrium ratio. Caused i take beta blocker regularly. It said to be caution with potassium as it tend to cause hyperpotassium. Also sometimes i get low natrium result from blood test.

Last edited:
similiar like mine. But standard thyroid blood test came up fine. And i already take beta blocker :(

Already watch that. But isnt there a cure/help to it? :( its really problematic, debilitating.
What does it mean when your heart contract hard. Is it what makes it punching out of your chest even though its not fast?(and worse when its also fast)
So far i have read it related to electrolyte balance, hormonal, adrenal, taurine, dribose, b12. But still a blur.

@skiesareclearing thanks for the info. But im confused about pottasium natrium ratio. Caused i take beta blocker regularly. It said to be caution with potassium as it tend to cause hyperpotassium. Also sometimes i get low natrium result from blood test.

Hi--
I don't know what "natrium" is. Usually, in relation to potassium it's the potassium/sodium ratio that's relevant. I'm not
sure, though, if the pot./sod. ratio is relevant to how the potassium has helped my heart palpitations. Potassium generally comes in 99 mg. tablets; that's standard. I think it's safe to take that much and more, but it's probably a good idea not to go too high without working with your doctor. I'm taking 600 mg a day and my doctor has cautioned me not to take any more than that. I will say that it never fails-- I divide the dose into 3 and spread it out over the day: 200 mg in the a.m, 200 sometime mid-day, and 200 at night. (You can find 200 mg capsules, though not many companies make them. I get Pure Encapsulations.) I have watched my heart calm down over the course of 20 minutes to half an hour after taking some potassium. That's all I can tell you; hope that's of some help.
By the way, I'm also taking a beta blocker but not for heart palpitations. It's for high blood pressure. Are you sure you need a beta blocker?
Also, I have had heart pounding without fast heartbeat--- off and on over decades. Also sometimes they go together. I don't know what made my doctor suggest that I might be low on minerals, specifically potassium, but there you go, it did the trick.

When I wrote about how potassium helped my heart palpitations-- reduced them, eliminated them-- I also wrote about hydration. At the time-- dehydration (terrible dry mouth not due to any meds) and scary heart palpitations were both happening together and seemed to be related, though I no longer remember how. Since then the dehydration issue has improved quite a lot, and I don't know why, and the potassium-- which I wrote about in detail in several posts above--definitely took care of the palpitations --- I'm still taking it and living free of pounding heart as long as I do that. I'm only writing to say that I have no idea if dehydration has anything to do with it or had anything to do with it back then.