• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Headache & Brain Fog - Improved by Anti-Pathogen Meds & Herbs?

ljimbo423

Even temporary use could be counterproductive, since the antibiotics would reduce the population of good (protective) bacteria too.

It could be. I've seen people with ME/CFS helped a lot by antibiotics. I've read other posts of new members introducing themselves here, that think their ME/CFS was triggered by antibiotics, and I believe them.

Like so many treatments in ME/CFS, what helps one person might hurt the next.

Wayne

I've seen people with ME/CFS helped a lot by antibiotics.

Hi @ljimbo423 -- I've read of people with Lyme who began to improve, sometimes greatly, after starting on antibiotics. Unfortunately, many of them leveled off, and then degressed to worse than they were before starting. I'm a big believer in trying various non-drug antibiotics before resorting to the "bigger guns".

Even though antibiotics have been lifesafers for many, many people, I suspect the big picture is that they've done more harm than good. I once read a book by an ND who said 90% of his patients who he saw with chronic health conditions had them started after a round or more of antibiotics.

hapl808

I had a rather big improvement on antibiotics (maybe from 40% to 70%) - after having tried all sorts of non-drug versions for a decade (with little to show for it). The improvement lasted about five years before another sickness and allergic reaction and lack of pacing pushed me further into severe (maybe around 20% now).

I think like most drugs, it's a difficult risk-benefit analysis and we're shooting in the dark. We have very little concept of the microbiome and what will get killed off or replace it. So we're left with trial and error, but sometimes the errors can do lasting damage.

GlassCannonLife

I had a rather big improvement on antibiotics (maybe from 40% to 70%) - after having tried all sorts of non-drug versions for a decade (with little to show for it). The improvement lasted about five years before another sickness and allergic reaction and lack of pacing pushed me further into severe (maybe around 20% now).

I think like most drugs, it's a difficult risk-benefit analysis and we're shooting in the dark. We have very little concept of the microbiome and what will get killed off or replace it. So we're left with trial and error, but sometimes the errors can do lasting damage.

What antibiotic did you use for how long?

hapl808

Zithro - at times ranging from less than a week to as long as a month. Doxy - for several months various times with varying dosages. Tinidazole - only once for a week (didn't notice as much with that). Xifaxin - only once for a short time (helpful mainly for SIBO issues at the time).

I think that's most of it that I can recall.

GlassCannonLife

Zithro - at times ranging from less than a week to as long as a month. Doxy - for several months various times with varying dosages. Tinidazole - only once for a week (didn't notice as much with that). Xifaxin - only once for a short time (helpful mainly for SIBO issues at the time).

I think that's most of it that I can recall.
So zithro and doxy were the most helpful I guess? Mainly doxy? I guess they both have anti-inflammatory actions, I wonder why they were so dramatically helpful. Potentially some microbiome tweaking.?