• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Have You Had a Pneumonia Vaccine?

2Cor.12:19

Hello, My PCP wants me to strongly consider getting the Prevnar 20 vaccine. I had all 4 COVID vaccines with no problems, but haven't had the courage to get a pneumonia or flu vaccine since 1999. The reason is because I developed severe panic attacks immediately after getting a flu and pneumonia shot and ended up on Xanax for over 20 years. I recently quit the benzos and am doing fine without it.

My PCP wasn't convinced that my panic attacks were actually caused by the vaccine itself. It wasn't what would be called an allergic anaphylactic reaction. She suggested I just do the pneumonia shot alone.

I'm 70 and believe it would be good to get it. I'm just nervous about it possibly triggering a problem.

Charles Shepherd recommends it, which gives me more confidence. Here's a link to that: https://meassociation.org.uk/2020/09/pneumonia-and-the-pneumococcal-vaccine/

Any thoughts?

lenora

Hello @2Cor,12,19. I had a pneumonia booster about a month ago....no problems whatsoever. I'm 76 and will be 77.

Also, if you haven't had the newest (5 yrs. old?) shingles vaccine, I would consider it and ask your doctor to give his OK. It's a miserable illness and since I had 3 rounds, I was bedridden for a good year. The vaccine is given twice and is spread over a month.

I recently had my 6th COVID injection, flu and RSV injections all at the same time. Again, no after-effects.

I also take Xanas b/c of an exceptionally bad panic disorder, made worse by my shingles attacks.

I take regular doses twice daily. No, I didn't want to go on it, but lesser ones had discontinued helping.

This is only my personal experience. I'm not encouraging you one way or another....but I thought you may find some interest in what occurred. Nothing....and I also have severe allergies. Yours, Lenora