• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has Anyone Used Micron Filters with B12?

I have some B12 powder that I want to inject (with saline). However, I need to run it through a sterile filter to ensure that it's sterile and safe.

Has anyone done this before with B12? I'm curious if a 22 micron filter would end up filtering the B12 itself out of the solution.

Example filter: https://amzn.to/3QgrFMp

Cipher

Administrator
I have some B12 powder that I want to inject (with saline). However, I need to run it through a sterile filter to ensure that it's sterile and safe.

Has anyone done this before with B12? I'm curious if a 22 micron filter would end up filtering the B12 itself out of the solution.

Example filter: https://amzn.to/3QgrFMp
Is it made for injecting? Even though it may get sterile after filtration, it could still contain pyrogens (e.g. microbial toxins) which are, depending on the dose, dangerous to inject. Filtration doesn't remove endo/exotoxins.

It is often believed that being sterile means being pyrogen-free but this is not correct. First of all, you need to understand what pyrogen is. Pyrogen is any substance that causes fever in animals and humans when it gets into their body. A very common symptom of fever is increasing in temperature so pyrogen is sometimes seen as any substance that causes an increase in temperature in humans and animals.

Endotoxins are very common pyrogens and they are contained in the outer membrane of the cell of some Gram-negative bacteria. When these bacteria are killed by the immune system of their hosts (usually animals and humans), antibiotics or sterilization, they release dangerous endotoxins during their cell lysis.

That being said, you should easily understand the difference between being sterile and being pyrogen-free as explained here. The process of sterilization is the killing, removal or deactivation of living microorganisms from equipment, solutions or pharmaceutical vials. So any solution that is free from living microorganisms is sterile.

However, it is possible that a solution was contaminated with some Gram-negative bacteria before sterilization and it is also possible that these bacteria released some endotoxins while being killed off during the process of sterilization. Now, this is what you must understand. Sterilization only kills off living microorganisms but it does not have an effect on their endotoxins. So, a solution can be sterile but still have dangerous endotoxins.

Being sterile means being free from microorganisms and being pyrogen-free means being free from fever-causing substances. The difference can be likened to insects and their eggs. Since some insecticides can only kill insects but not their eggs, it is possible for an apartment to be free from insects but not free from their eggs.
Pyrogen Removal
Once the presence of pyrogen is confirmed in solution, pyrogen removal becomes the next step. The common pyrogen removal methods are Ion Exchange Chromatography, Ultra Filtration, and Distillation. Since the total removal of pyrogens can be very difficult, it may be a better idea to deactivate or destroy the lipopolysaccharide (LPS) molecules in the endotoxins.

Some common methods to destroy LPS molecules are Acid-Base Hydrolysis, Oxidation, Heating, and Sodium Hydroxide methods.
https://www.pharmaguideline.com/2017/09/difference-between-sterile-and-pyrogen-free.html

Methylcobalamin is way to small of a molecule to get caught in a 22 micron filter.

Wow, that was a great answer, thank you @Cipher.

The material I have is sterile and produced specifically for human injection. The problem is that I have grams of it and need to cut it down to injectable dosages (i.e., mg) and then mix it with saline solution for IM injection.

I am trying to find a clean lab that can do this for me, but no luck so far. If you have any suggestions, I'd like to hear them.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
My best advice is take sublingual B12. It will take longer to build up but its cheap and effective.