• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone tried mutaflor

lizw118

Has anyone tried this supplement? It is E. Coli Nissle, which is supposed to be good for mitochondrial function. It is not cheap but I am curious to try it.
Thanks
Liz

filfla4

Brought Mutaflor back with me from Brussels. I have a three month supply to be taken in between three courses of antibiotics (KDM's protocol). I've taken my first one today.

lizw118

I ordered some too.
Why did you all decide to try it? Gut issues or immune stuff?
Liz

FunkOdyssey

gut issues, and its the only probiotic regularly used by Merleir and Cheney that I haven't tried yet.

lizw118

I am having some weird symptoms and I am wondering if it is the mutaflor, which I have now been taking for three days. The first night I took it I got really anxious and stressed out, then yesterday, I woke up feeling groggy, then felt better as the day went on, but very weak. My heart rate was really high, but my mood was great.
I am wondering if the mutaflor is increasing norepinephrine or something like that. Has anyone else had these reactions? I have adrenal fatigue so I am thinking this might be messing with my adrenals/thyroid a little. Maybe there is an adjustment period.
Liz

I'm on my sixth month of Mutaflor. It was awful at first, I had some very strong reactions to it, particularly after day three but then it seems to settle down. It still makes me feel a bit off - tired, neurological symptoms like needing to stretch, buzzing feelings, etc. But if I am honest, the side effects have got less and less each month. And I am now nearly 100% recovered. I've been seeing KdM. I think it's a case of persevering if you can tolerate it.

FunkOdyssey

I gave mutaflor a month and it wasn't doing anything good for me, gut health actually seemed to be deteriorating. I went back to saccharomyces boulardii, which I've had the most success with of any probiotic, and things have returned to a fairly good state after a month of that.

leaves

Stargazer that is great news! was mutaflor the only intervention or did you do other treatments too?

Stargazer that is great news! was mutaflor the only intervention or did you do other treatments too?

I've had a long six months of treatment including Erythromycin, Tiberal, B12 injections, Lamicatal, Mutaflor, liposomal glutathione, lipsomal vit C, mixture of vitamins and minerals. It's not been easy and I am now in debt but it's been worth every penny. KdM is a wonderful man.

girlinthesnow

Just back from KDM, I was on VSL#3 but not tolerating it very well. I asked if I could try Mutaflor but he suggested Super 8 for me instead. Professor de Meirleir seems to group patients and treatments according to test results and his experience, we definitely get the benefits of this.

Has anyone been on Super 8? I haven't come across it before and don't know anything about it.

filfla4

I'm on my sixth month of Mutaflor. It was awful at first, I had some very strong reactions to it, particularly after day three but then it seems to settle down. It still makes me feel a bit off - tired, neurological symptoms like needing to stretch, buzzing feelings, etc. But if I am honest, the side effects have got less and less each month. And I am now nearly 100% recovered. I've been seeing KdM. I think it's a case of persevering if you can tolerate it.

Thanks for posting this Stargazer - it is most encouraging for those of us going down this route!! I have been on KDM's protocol since January and I have a telephone consultation with him on tuesday, for my next three-month programme. I have already seen some improvement too!!!

anne_likes_red

girlinthesnow he might mean Udo's Choice Super 8?

I've used it in the past for my kids - it seemed pretty potent :) The only reason I don't still use it is that I've found similar products made locally.

Just back from KDM, I was on VSL#3 but not tolerating it very well. I asked if I could try Mutaflor but he suggested Super 8 for me instead. Professor de Meirleir seems to group patients and treatments according to test results and his experience, we definitely get the benefits of this.

Has anyone been on Super 8? I haven't come across it before and don't know anything about it.

dsdmom

In which way did you not tolerate vsl? Curious bc having a hard time w gas (horrible) and stomach discomfort. Taking a LG amount though. Spike w manufacturer and they said that could last up to 1 month.

Have used something #8 before. Can't remember the brand. Will look.

girlinthesnow

Thanks anne_likes_red, I think you're right. Did you have to keep it refrigerated? Just wondering whether to order it from a pharmacy or off the internet.

dsdmom, I'm intolerant of corn and also had problems with the d-lactate bacteria. I felt itchy and toxic and just generally headachey and flu-ish. More than usual. Gassy too! I was taking 3 pouches a day.

anne_likes_red

Hi again :)
I got mine from the refridgerator in my local (NZ) health store....I thought the list of bacteria strains looked good. The store here stocks a lot of Udo's choice products and keeps them all refridgerated...I'm sorry I can't remember if it said this was necessary on the jar or not! I kept mine in the fridge anyway...
Anne.

Thanks anne_likes_red, I think you're right. Did you have to keep it refrigerated? Just wondering whether to order it from a pharmacy or off the internet.

dsdmom, I'm intolerant of corn and also had problems with the d-lactate bacteria. I felt itchy and toxic and just generally headachey and flu-ish. More than usual. Gassy too! I was taking 3 pouches a day.

Athene

ihateticks.me
Hi,
I've been taking mutaflor for about 2 years.

It doesn't do all the miraculous stuff some people claim, like cure depression and restore mitochondrial function. But it does improve bowel problems in a fairly marvellous way. I used to have such awful diarrhoea, pain and bloating, but on this stuff I am going regularly, once a day and pretty always pain free. I use a whole lot of other probiotics with it and also take it with psyllium husk, as this prebiotic is essential to help all the good bacteria reproduce once inside the gut.

Improving bowel flora like this definitely has the effect of improving overall immune function, because so much of the active immune system is freed up for other jobs once it is no longer engaged in a constant battle against unbalanced intestinal flora.

I would beware of ordering it by post as it definitely does need to be refrigerated all the time. I was told that just 24 hours out of the fridge is enough to impair its potency.