• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone read "The Medical Medium"

@Sapphire89 have you been tested for the viruses most commonly associated with ME/CFS, such as coxsackievirus B, echovirus, Epstein-Barr virus, HHV-6 and cytomegalovirus?

Chronic coxsackievirus B and echovirus infections in ME/CFS patients can only be reliably detected by certain very sensitive tests, such as the ARUP Lab neutralization tests. If you were tested using a method other than neutralization, then the test results are not reliable.

If you have an active infections with one or more of these viruses, then antivirals or immunomodulators that target the virus(es) in question can help.

For EBV, Dr Lerner's protocol uses Valtrex or Famvir. For coxsackievirus B and echovirus (these are both enteroviruses), Dr John Chia uses oxymatrine.

I've been tested for EBV, HHV-6, but not coxsackievirus B...
Based on my blood results for what I have been tested for, I have had past infections.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Another person preying on desperate people using 'sciency' sounding language meant to impress people with layman's knowledge. The internet is full of such info seeming to validate these musings. There is more misinformation out there than information.

It seems prudent when really ill to want some assurances as to the soundness of what is being touted. That is hard verifiable evidence that stands up to scrutiny.
Often reasoning is provided but nothing that can be independently verified.

As others stated, that's not to say some things won't work to relieve some symptoms. Just My opinion.

Hip

I've been tested for EBV, HHV-6, but not coxsackievirus B...
Based on my blood results for what I have been tested for, I have had past infections.

It could be that you have a coxsackievirus B or echovirus active infection. In which case, oxymatrine treatment is worth looking into. Unfortunately the ARUP Lab tests are really expensive: $440 for CVB and another $440 for echovirus.

If you don't have an active EBV infection, EBV antiviral supplements and drugs will probably not be helpful.

Tammy

Lengthy but interesting review by someone who is not a skeptic:
http://www.realitymaps.com/2016/05-medicalmedium.html
In all honesty............I agree with SOME of this review. If I was Anthony's PR person...........I would have advised against some of the ways in which he worded things.............because it can indeed make him look like an egomaniac........and can make things look too "gimmicky". I hate that because it really does give a not so good first impression and doesn't represent the true Anthony. All I can say is after really getting to know his character after listening to his weekly radio podcasts over the past two years.........his character is anything but what has been written in that review. ...... Also...... No-one has to spend a penny to learn a lot of the information he has put out. For the people though that are open to this kind of thing.............the book is a BIG plus. For anyone who is curious and doesn't want to buy the book............ he has TONS of info on his blog on his website...........and does a radio podcast weekly. Information from past podcasts can be found in his blog and on soundcloud.

Last edited:

ebethc

EBV ≠ CFS

#1 First of all, EBV/HHV-4 is extremely common...

"In the United States, about half of all five-year-old children and about 90 percent of adults have evidence of previous infection.[9]" ..and 90% of the US doesn't have CFS​

#2 Infections may trigger immune illness
There's a table somewhere on the NIH site that shows illnesses w associated infections, and the thought is that infections can trigger immune illness in the genetically predisposed, and some infections are more linked to certain immune illnesses than other.... Is EBV/HHV-4 the sole infectious "trigger" for CFS? Nope...

... couldn't find the table, but this may be of interest:

"The immune system has evolved checks and balances to prevent the destruction of host tissue. It is perhaps not surprising that a strong immune response to an invading pathogen could disrupt this regulation and lead to autoimmunity. As outlined above, there is significant evidence suggesting that different classes of pathogens (bacteria, viruses and parasites) are involved in triggering or propagating self-reactive immune responses. However, the evidence for a definitive link for infection-induced autoimmunity is stronger for certain diseases than for others."​

#3 The misconception that "EBV = CFS" has been around for decades, and ppl have been fighting that misconception for decades...

' ..."Yuppie flu," a fashionable form of hypochondria, and that two local doctors were blaming it on the Epstein-Barr virus.' ... oy, it never ends..​

#4 Hip's Treatment Roadmap - NOT $1k/hr...FREE

#5 Welcome to the club.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Sapphire89 - FWIW, I have, at various times (though not all at the same time), tried almost all of the supplements you list there. I think the only ones I missed were red clover and star anise.

A few helped some - I need methylfolate and methylcobalamin and have needed zinc. At one time the silver hydrosol helped with a recalcitrant strep infection. Cat's claw helped at one time, I forget with what exactly. I think they all have some potential benefit, but they're not going to cure ME/CFS.

I do disagree with @Valentijn - although it's not curable now - no one knows its cause nor has an effective treatment - I think an answer and effective treatment will be found. Although maybe it won't be a cure as such, but who knows? I like to think there will be :nerd:

Also, I read what Anthony William had to say about ME/CFS in the link you provided and apparently he believes it only affects women - which tells you how much (nothing) he knows about it.

Mary

Moderator Resource
So FALSE.

This is what he says. He is implying it only affects women:

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
There’s a long history of womankind facing denial that there’s a physical cause of their suffering. Like those with fibromyalgia (see below), people with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS)—also known by names such as myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), chronic fatigue immune dysfunction syndrome (CFIDS), and systemic exertion intolerance disease (SEID)—often hear that they are liars, lazy, delusional, and/or crazy. It’s an illness that affects women in disproportionately large numbers.
And chronic fatigue syndrome is on the rise.
It’s becoming common for young women in college to return home mid-semester with the condition, unable to do anything but lie in bed. Contracting CFS as a woman in your late teens or early 20s can be particularly devastating as you watch friends move on with relationships and jobs, meanwhile feeling stuck and unable to live up to your potential.
Women who get CFS in their 30s, 40s, or 50s have their own obstacles: while you’re old enough at this point to have an established life and support network, you also have established responsibilities. You’re likely trying to be everything to everybody, taking care of more than you can handle, and so you feel the pressure to act normal when CFS hits.

Okay, I see I missed the part where he said it affects women in disproportionately large numbers. But everywhere else he is referring to women only - to me it's extremely misleading.

ebethc

#1b - Some of us have never had EBV, myself included :p

Found the NIH table, "Chronic diseases for which there is evidence or suspicion of an infectious etiology"

EBV is the only infection linked to CFS in this table (which is incorrect)... Surprised that enteroviruses, HHV-6 and CMV are not listed as CFS triggers

Tammy

Uh, aren't psychic mediums supposed to be able to tell us specifically what our problems are?

What do you say @Tammy?

I have no desire whatsoever nor do I feel the need to discuss/debate any of this with you. It's obviously something you are against....................so what's the point. Move on. It aint your thing..............so be it.

Last edited:

dannybex

I have no desire whatsoever nor do I feel the need to discuss/debate any of this with you. It's obviously something you are against....................so what's the point. Move on.
Tammy, I understand that you're passionate about something that's helped you. I'm sure some of what I've said earlier may come off as bullying or whatever, but all I'm saying, as I said in my original reply, was that while some of these remedies may work -- and in fact have shown some benefit in CFS patients -- that doesn't equate to Mr. William having any special, unique powers, just like any psychic has any special powers. In my opinion, they're no different than the 'faith healers' who hide behind organized religion to con desperate souls with promises of 'cures', except perhaps that those guys don't have to pay taxes.

We're basically just concerned that anyone might be forking over a LOT of money that could be saved by just asking about some of these remedies on this forum.

I'm not interested in debating this either, truly. All I asked was a simple question, which everyone, including you, knows the real answer to. But I understand and respect your choice not to answer it.

I hope you continue to improve.

I have been suffering with CFS since I was 14 (I am 27 now) and it just keeps getting worse. I bought the book The Medical Medium by Anthony William and thought it was very interesting. It discusses the "cause" for CFS/ME and natural ways to go about healing yourself. The author focuses a lot on plant based foods, in particular just raw fruits and vegetables, as well as supplements you can take.

See: http://goop.com/the-medical-medium-and-whats-potentially-at-the-root-of-medical-mysteries/
Some examples:
  • Cat’s claw: herb that reduces EBV and cofactors such as strep A and strep B.
  • Silver hydrosol: lowers EBV viral load.
  • Zinc: strengthens the immune system and protects the thyroid from EBV inflammation.
  • Vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin and/or adenosylcobalamin): strengthens the central nervous system.
  • Licorice root: lowers EBV production and strengthens the adrenals and kidneys.
  • Lemon balm: antiviral and antibacterial. Kills EBV cells and strengthens the immune system.
  • 5-MTHF (5-methyltetrahydrofolate): helps strengthen the endocrine system and central nervous system.
  • Selenium: strengthens and protects the central nervous system.
  • Red marine algae: powerful antiviral that removes heavy metals such as mercury and reduces viral load.
  • L-lysine: lowers EBV load and acts as a central nervous system anti-inflammatory.
  • Spirulina (preferably from Hawaii): rebuilds the central nervous system and eliminates heavy metals.
  • Ester-C: strengthens the immune system and flushes EBV toxins from the liver.
  • Nettle leaf: provides vital micronutrients to the brain, blood, and central nervous system.
  • Monolaurin: antiviral; breaks down EBV load and reduces cofactors.
  • Elderberry: antiviral; strengthens the immune system.
  • Red clover: cleanses the liver, lymphatic system, and spleen of neurotoxins from EBV.
  • Star anise: antiviral; helps destroy EBV in the liver and thyroid.
  • Curcumin: component of turmeric that helps strengthen the endocrine system and central nervous system

Has anyone tried the 28 day diet as described in this book? If not, I am still extremely interested in your thoughts on if you believe these herbs and supplements can help as much as the author says it will?[/QUOTE
I have been suffering with CFS since I was 14 (I am 27 now) and it just keeps getting worse. I bought the book The Medical Medium by Anthony William and thought it was very interesting. It discusses the "cause" for CFS/ME and natural ways to go about healing yourself. The author focuses a lot on plant based foods, in particular just raw fruits and vegetables, as well as supplements you can take.

See: http://goop.com/the-medical-medium-and-whats-potentially-at-the-root-of-medical-mysteries/
Some examples:
  • Zinc: strengthens the immune system and protects the thyroid from EBV inflammation.
  • Vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin and/or adenosylcobalamin): strengthens the central nervous system.
  • Licorice root: lowers EBV production and strengthens the adrenals and kidneys.
  • Lemon balm: antiviral and antibacterial. Kills EBV cells and strengthens the immune system.
  • 5-MTHF (5-methyltetrahydrofolate): helps strengthen the endocrine system and central nervous system.
  • Red marine algae: powerful antiviral that removes heavy metals such as mercury and reduces viral load.
  • L-lysine: lowers EBV load and acts as a central nervous system anti-inflammatory.
  • Spirulina (preferably from Hawaii): rebuilds the central nervous system and eliminates heavy metals.
  • Nettle leaf: provides vital micronutrients to the brain, blood, and central nervous system.
  • Red clover: cleanses the liver, lymphatic system, and spleen of neurotoxins from EBV.
  • Curcumin: component of turmeric that helps strengthen the endocrine system and central nervous system

Has anyone tried the 28 day diet as described in this book? If not, I am still extremely interested in your thoughts on if you believe these herbs and supplements can help as much as the author says it will?
great article thanks

Some examples:

Has anyone tried the 28 day diet as described in this book? If not, I am still extremely interested in your thoughts on if you believe these herbs and supplements can help as much as the author says it will?

Yes! I was given his third book as a present by family member as bed bound v ill. I'm a big fan and using his suggestions. There's loads of iCloud recordings of his radio talks to listen to which is really helpful too. All the best to our healing xx