• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone had success with Herpes family viruses without western medicine?

Abrin

Success in what context?

Did you mean reducing outbreaks or some other marker of success?

Rufous McKinney

Chinese tradtional herbs have helped me reduce the intensity of symptoms. I've not been cured...nor have I ever done antiviral herbs per se.

Wolfcub

Do you mean in the context of ME/CFS? Or treating a herpes condition when it occurred?
I treated two breakouts of Shingles (Herpes Zoster) in myself in 2000 with herbal medicines and lessened the duration of the illness, with no post-herpetic pain.

Davsey27

Do you mean in the context of ME/CFS? Or treating a herpes condition when it occurred?
I treated two breakouts of Shingles (Herpes Zoster) in myself in 2000 with herbal medicines and lessened the duration of the illness, with no post-herpetic pain.

Primarily in the context of viral induced fatigue,pem
with an active infection

GreenEdge

Contrary to popular belief, Australian researchers discovered the herpes virus remains active in the body even when there are no symptoms. Instead of thinking the virus erupts during times of stress, we can now say cold sore flare ups occur when our immune system is weakened (eg. due to stress) allowing the virus to get the upper hand in the eternal war going on inside our bodies.

With that knowledge I found that by continuing to take L-Lysine (even after cold sores had vanished) the severity of flare ups decreased to none at all; over a period of 1-2 years I was able to reduce my L-Lysine dose to 1 tablet (1000mg) per day and eventually to 1 per week. Since L-Lysine is an essential amino-acid I will not be reducing that dose any further. I have gone 5+ years without a single cold sore.

For more information see: Lysine, Natural Amino Acid Fights Herpes

If you're needing to take multiple tablets it's best to spread your intake evenly over the whole day.

Davsey27

Contrary to popular belief, Australian researchers discovered the herpes virus remains active in the body even when there are no symptoms. Instead of thinking the virus erupts during times of stress, we can now say cold sore flare ups occur when our immune system is weakened (eg. due to stress) allowing the virus to get the upper hand in the eternal war going on inside our bodies.

With that knowledge I found that by continuing to take L-Lysine (even after cold sores had vanished) the severity of flare ups decreased to none at all; over a period of 1-2 years I was able to reduce my L-Lysine dose to 1 tablet (1000mg) per day and eventually to 1 per week. Since L-Lysine is an essential amino-acid I will not be reducing that dose any further. I have gone 5+ years without a single cold sore.

For more information see: Lysine, Natural Amino Acid Fights Herpes

If you're needing to take multiple tablets it's best to spread your intake evenly over the whole day.

Curious has this improved your PEM from other herpes viruses like ebv,cmv etc if you have them?

I dont know much about how different herpes trigger PEM and of hsv1 triggers it but am curious

ChookityPop

Curious has this improved your PEM from other herpes viruses like ebv,cmv etc if you have them?

I dont know much about how different herpes trigger PEM and of hsv1 triggers it but am curious
Do we know that herpes trigger PEM?

Davsey27

Do we know that herpes trigger PEM?

This is a good question.Im not sure

it seems that some individuals have PEM improvement from Av's and reducing the viral loads but there are also many instances where this isnt the case

Hypotheically what else can trigger PEM in active hepatic infections like ebv,cmv?

Rufous McKinney

dont know much about how different herpes trigger PEM and of hsv1 triggers it but am curious

so cold sores are pretty common...MECFS is far less common. My version is likely Eppstein Barr- based- which is a herpes virus.

Do folks who get cold sores- get other symptoms like we have? Like PEM? I think not- this being based mostly on me knowing folks in college who tended to get cold sores- aren't ill with chronic stuff like this.

So...that makes me wonder about a lysine fix....for ME

ahmo

@Davsey27 I've been seeing a TCM herbalist. I didn't go for herpes or ME, but the herbs he put me on have been very helpful, have improved my foundation. When I've had herpes during this time of seeing him, he uses it as a data point for how I'm doing, changes the formula when needed. I used to take olive leaf extract for it, but he told me it's too cooling. So these days I just use lysine. good luck.

Davsey27

Have you improved in general or in terms of outbreaks?

I once had a cold sore(I think)
Small dots in my mouth

That I recall a couple of years ago for a few days and tested positive for hsv1.I have never had any outbreaks
since and I wasn't doing any treatment for it.

I have had cut looking lines on the forehead and other parts of the body coming and going(possibly varicella)

Other than this no other manifestations on herpes on the the skin that I'm aware of.

Though it may possible it's in the cns and may be contributing to PEM

Primarily in the context of viral induced fatigue...
I have found that olive leaf extract has been very effective in treating cold sores (HSV-1).

There is some evidence that it can be considered to have broad spectrum antiviral properties. See: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32050880/ and https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=olive+leaf+extract+antiviral

It was one of the few herbs that noticeably helped my ME/CFS, reducing fatigue by about 5 percent (my estimate).