• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone had strange abnormal dreams during their ME adventure?

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
I awoke this morning with the sensation of a loud shock sensation like being slammed back into my body. Weird. Perhaps due to the overexitation of vestibulocochlear nerves which had caused me to have nausea for about two days (now improved). This reminds me of when I was bit by the flea from a feral cat just before I developed ME. I had a crazy dream where small demons stabbed me at night all over the ribs, torturing me. I think this was my subconscious' interpretation of early periostititis and partial apoptosis pain.

Wishful

I've had lots of strange dreams. Also nice ones, and relaxing ones and exciting ones. Since I wake up every 90 minutes from the dream state, I'm much more aware of my dreams than before.

I still remember the dream where my sister bought refried-bean flavoured ice cream. I have no idea how my imagination came up with that one. o_O

SnappingTurtle

My weird dreams since getting ME have been induced by medication. For example, I was thrust/stumbled into an elaborate play where I had to be in every scene as various minor characters, didn't know the lines and had to be prompted along the way to comical effect, then receive at the end a standing ovation. Hahaha.

Rufous McKinney

I awoke this morning with the sensation of a loud shock sensation like being slammed back into my body. Weird.

I experienced something..very very- odd that was- like a loud shock sensation...i was asleep technically the moment it happened, but was not - dreaming. This event- it seemed like an event- was quite disturbing to me at the time it happened. It was like nothing I have ever felt before, or since. My entire body was left in a state that the word-shock- seems applicable. A bit of time passed during this 'sensation"..it..came on and then slammed into my whole being.

I did not come up with the type of explanations you did, @gbells . Maybe it was something physiological. I truely don't know.

Treeman

I always have strange vivid dreams, I've always thought it was a consequence of the illness. A bit like when I used to have a cold, dreams would be more vivid, I've always assumed its linked to the over action of my immune system.

I did quite a bit of reading on dream analysis when my illness become strong in the 90's. I took away that my dreams are based around what has been happening the previous day and they are mostly metaphorical. So, @SnappingTurtle said, "I was thrust/stumbled into an elaborate play where I had to be in every scene as various minor characters, didn't know the lines and had to be prompted along the way to comical effect, then receive at the end a standing ovation. Hahaha."

If it where my dream I would say that I had accomplished something by myself with no prior knowledge (all be it with some minor help) of the thing I was dealing with and was proud/happy to achieve a successful outcome. Can you find something that recently fits this interpretation @SnappingTurtle ?

Of course, I could quite as easy be talking rubbish......................

SnappingTurtle

If it where my dream I would say that I had accomplished something by myself with no prior knowledge (all be it with some minor help) of the thing I was dealing with and was proud/happy to achieve a successful outcome. Can you find something that recently fits this interpretation @SnappingTurtle ?
@Treeman , very close. I mulled over the relevance of my dream for a while. I believe it is my subconscious' attempt to reassure myself as I experience and attempt to navigate ME/CFS; that it is okay to stumble, ask for help, and there will be setbacks; yet, it is the effort that is rewarding in itself. In other words, never give up! You will survive.

Wishful

I experienced something..very very- odd that was- like a loud shock sensation...i was asleep technically the moment it happened, but was not - dreaming.

I *think* I've experienced that before too. Just slamming awake, wondering if something hit the house or whatever. Maybe it's as simple a a bunch of neurons firing randomly at the same time.

One other dream curiosity: do your dreams have amazing details, such as being able to read several pages in a book or magazine that isn't one you remember reading while awake? I recall being surprised at what my brain seems able to compose on its own while I'm asleep.

Rufous McKinney

I *think* I've experienced that before too. Just slamming awake, wondering if something hit the house or whatever.

At the time it happened, the term tsunami- was applied ...thats what it rather felt like energetically. And yes, it could have been a type of massive neuronal firing for some odd reason- which then could have been another odd episode in ME Symptom Theater.

I do not recall ever dreaming about books or reading. Thats a crazy one!

I have had some lucid dream experiences. Its not uncommon for me to make note during a dream that: This is a Dream...

And also a while back I saw myself reflected in a mirror in the dream (there were alot of people in the room) and it was a type of Yes, Thats me, So this is Me, here in this dream.

Wishful

I do not recall ever dreaming about books or reading. Thats a crazy one!

Really? Reading is common in my dreams. I'm just amazed at the level of detail my brain composes for them. I think I've read totally made-up magazine articles for several minutes subjective time. I think they were even quite interesting. :)