• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone gotten Silver Diamine Fluoride for dental cavities?

My brother with Severe ME has a bunch of cavities. He hasn't had a dental cleaning, x-rays, or fillings in around 5 years, since he became severely ill, and in that time has not had the energy to keep up with his dental hygiene. He's also on a lot of medications that cause dry mouth.

We finally found a mobile dentist that can work with us nearby. They offer silver diamine fluoride treatment (SDF), which I'd never heard of before.

From the wikipedia, SDF "is a topical medication used to treat and prevent dental caries (tooth decay) and relieve dentinal hypersensitivity.[1] It is a colorless or blue-tinted odourless liquid composed of silver, ammonium and fluoride ions at a pH of 10.4 or 13[2] Ammonia compounds reduce the oxidative potential of SDF, increase its stability and helps to maintain a constant concentration over a period of time, rendering it safe for use in the mouth.[3] Silver and fluoride ions possess antimicrobial properties[1] and are used in the remineralization of enamel and dentin on teeth for preventing and arresting dental caries.[4][5]

After some initial research, I've found that SDF use seems to be very safe and effective in the general population. It seems to mainly be studied and used in children because often the use of anesthesia and or drilling is problematic for children, but I think it's also used in severely physically or mentally disabled populations. I've also seen some people online say that the amount of fluoride exposure that you get after SDF application is minimal compared to regular toothpaste, which is one concern for ME patients with low functioning thyroids.

If this is an option for my brother and ends up being effective, it could be really a miracle because he's so severe, even a getting a cleaning at home will most likely cause a crash, let alone getting fillings. Hopefully it works out.

I wanted to see if anyone on here has had experience with this treatment? My brother has MCAS, so introducing any new topical or internal treatment is cause for research.

Wishful

I haven't heard of that treatment. I did read some news items this year about discoveries that might lead to remineralization of teeth and even growing new teeth, so someday we won't have to deal with fillings.

consuegra

I too have researched SDF. I was surprised to learn about this substance, and I asked my dentist about it. He said he had never heard of it. I immediately changed dentists. The next one did know about SDF but was cautious about saying much, for the obvious reasons. Youtube videos give a pretty good picture of this compound, what its possibilities are, how it is used - and its safety profile. One can also seek information from other sources, and thereby learn something.