• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hair Mineral Testing

dannybex

I think my comments have been misinterpreted. I didn't say anything about coercion. I was just commenting that ARL sends people quite a comprehensive interpretation as they do for all people in this line of work. People don't see the analyses from ARL if they don't order it directly. I really don't know if the hair analysis interpreters are using the interpretations provided by ARL -- that's all. Doesn't really matter in the long run though, if something works, it works and that's the most important thing of all.

Thanks Kina. I agree.

I'm not sure about the last part, but I suppose so. I'm not personally interested in the ARL results.

The cost of Christine's hair analysis is 200 dollars which includes the lab fees from ARL. The lab fees include an interpretation of the results. The results get sent directly to Christine and other practitioners in this line of work. If you haven't seen the interpretation from ARL, how do you know if they are different from Christines. I have seen interpretations of Hair Analysis from ARL, they seem quite extensive. Like I just said in another post, it really doesn't matter if people are getting good results.

hixxy

Kina: Does ARL's typical interpretation and report recommend mineral supplementation only or does it take into account other nutritional factors (non-mineral).

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Generally, when a person orders an Hair Analysis from ARL, they receive a print out with detailed information regarding their test and a list of suggested supplements (from their company). I believe when you use Christines company, the results are sent directly to her, rather than to the customer. So are Christine's customers are paying for an analysis they are not getting from the company which is actually included in the price of the Hair Analysis?

Kina.
If you go to the ARL website Lab Profile page (http://www.arltma.com/LabProfile.htm), you will see that they offer several testing options, i.e. profiles. I assume that Christine orders Profile I - Laboratory Mineral Assay with no interpretation. Since she does her own interpretation, it would make no sense to have her customers pay for a ARL interpretation. ARL would be the only one to benefit from that.

If you go the their FAQ page, you will see that ARL only do testing for licensed health care practitioners. It is not possible for an individual to send in a sample and have the results sent directly to her.

If you go to the ARL website Lab Profile page (http://www.arltma.com/LabProfile.htm), you will see that they offer several testing options, i.e. profiles. I assume that Christine orders Profile I - Laboratory Mineral Assay with no interpretation. Since she does her own interpretation, it would make no sense to have her customers pay for a ARL interpretation. ARL would be the only one to benefit from that.

If you go the their FAQ page, you will see that ARL only do testing for licensed health care practitioners. It is not possible for an individual to send in a sample and have the results sent directly to her.

Sorry that's not what I was saying. You can have the results from ARL sent straight to you no matter who orders them. Usually a copy should be sent to the licensed health practitioner who ordered them and the client. A test done with no interpretation form ARL is less expensive than a test with an interpretation. Has anybody ever asked a hair analysis practitioner how much they actually pay ARL, if they get the interpretation. I think as consumers we really should know these things. Can you find out out how much Christine pays ARL for the lab test itself. I would be interested to know.

brenda

Christines interpretation includes the information she requests about the client. ARL`s does not so is limited. It is a general guide. Why are you so interested in what she pays them Kina? I know becuase C told me but I think it has nothing to do with you.

Christines interpretation includes the information she requests about the client. ARL`s does not so is limited. It is a general guide. Why are you so interested in what she pays them Kina? I know but I think it has nothing to do with you.

Because, it interests me how these things are done. Maybe, because I am not directly involved, I see things in a different light. I think it's fair to ask how a person who is offering a service is operating. I think people would be interested in knowing this. When I make decisions about my own nutritional status, I make sure my money is well spent. If I were to pay 200 dollars for something, I would like to know how this money is being utilized. I would also ask that copies of any lab reports going to the hair analyzer would also go to me. I would like to know how the person is connected to the hair analysis company. I would like to know how reliable/valid the tests are etc. I would also look at research that shows how hair mineral levels correlate with health. There isn't much research but if something works for a person, research isn't that important. When you have very little money to spend on these things, it's nice to know your money is being spent wisely. We all have things we think about when deciding to spend money on things. I am asking because I am interested how it works and maybe other members are too. More information from different sources is better than little information from one source.

Why on earth did you say this has 'nothing to do with me'. I think members have the right to post on any thread on this forum because they are a member and we all have something in common. I post on threads I am interested in, or if I have something to add, or if I have a question. I read a lot of the threads on the forum out of interest. I think it's okay to ask questions for further knowledge.

dmholmes

The cost of Christine's hair analysis is 200 dollars which includes the lab fees from ARL. The lab fees include an interpretation of the results. The results get sent directly to Christine and other practitioners in this line of work. If you haven't seen the interpretation from ARL, how do you know if they are different from Christines. I have seen interpretations of Hair Analysis from ARL, they seem quite extensive. Like I just said in another post, it really doesn't matter if people are getting good results.

Kina,

From what I've read about ARL, and doctors that do hair testing like Dr. Larry Wilson, and from talking to Christine I'd say she has a very different approach.

I would contact Christine through her website if you have questions.

Thanks,
David

brenda

I haven`t paid 200 dollars. I have paid nothing but what I have received is well worth more than that and it has been more help than anything else I have tried and interpretations of tests from lab. Christine is a very caring person and committed to helping people. Her work is based on her experience treating animals and people and the proof of the pudding is on the eating. I and others here are benefitting.

I haven`t paid 200 dollars. I have paid nothing but what I have received is well worth more than that and it has been more help than anything else I have tried and interpretations of tests from lab. Christine is a very caring person and committed to helping people. Her work is based on her experience treating animals and people and differs from what others advise and the proof of the pudding is on the eating. I and others here are benefitting.

I am not referring to you, I am referring to any person paying for a test. I am glad you are benefiting but that doesn't mean there isn't a need for transparency about how any business operates.

If this service (or any other) is being discussed on this forum, then there is no reason why members may not ask questions and answers about precisely what the service is, how much it costs and where the money goes.

After all this time, I still haven't seen transparent answers to the key questions about the business model here, nor have I seen a comparison with other options that may be available.

But the best I can determine so far is that I have heard that ARL sometimes offers their tests for around $50, based on which it seems reasonable to imagine that the rate charged to a consultant customer might be something similar. If that were the case then a $200 charge for a test with analysis would value Christine's analysis and report at $150 a pop. Significant reductions in price could also be yielding a profit, and there is no guarantee that 'at cost' really means what it says if you don't know what the true cost of the tests is. There also seems to be no guarantee that Christine's analysis really is either (a) individual, (b) different from the analysis by the lab themselves, or (c) reliable and meaningful.

It would seem to be a quite straightforward model for customers to order the test directly from the provider and forward the results to any practitioner who wanted to offer additional interpretation to that provided by the lab. Any customer should be demanding to see the direct results from the lab. If you don't ever see those results, sent directly from the lab, you don't even have a guarantee that a lab test has actually been performed; you could have just been given a standard or random interpretation. Even with the lab itself, only independent oversight and accreditation can assure you that tests really are being performed. Without these guarantees, any service like this is wide open to abuse and exploitation.

I would like to see on this thread some comparative analysis of hair mineral testing services: the prices of various services and precisely what they provide. It is not unreasonable for any customer or potential customer of these services to ask these questions.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
The dietitian I have been getting tissue mineral analysis through works with a company other than ARL. She has never offered to have a report sent directly to me (nor have I asked).

Some analysis does get passed on to me, if I pay for it. They have different levels of tests, the same as ARL. One time she did tell me that the lab had recommended that I take a particular supplement at noon, so she may see some analysis that I do not or else she knows that the lab always recommends that that supplement be taken at noon.

brenda

Along with Christines analysis of the hair test, I received a copy of the lab hair test chart.

hixxy

If this service (or any other) is being discussed on this forum, then there is no reason why members may not ask questions and answers about precisely what the service is, how much it costs and where the money goes.

After all this time, I still haven't seen transparent answers to the key questions about the business model here, nor have I seen a comparison with other options that may be available.

But the best I can determine so far is that I have heard that ARL sometimes offers their tests for around $50, based on which it seems reasonable to imagine that the rate charged to a consultant customer might be something similar. If that were the case then a $200 charge for a test with analysis would value Christine's analysis and report at $150 a pop. Significant reductions in price could also be yielding a profit, and there is no guarantee that 'at cost' really means what it says if you don't know what the true cost of the tests is. There also seems to be no guarantee that Christine's analysis really is either (a) individual, (b) different from the analysis by the lab themselves, or (c) reliable and meaningful.

It would seem to be a quite straightforward model for customers to order the test directly from the provider and forward the results to any practitioner who wanted to offer additional interpretation to that provided by the lab. Any customer should be demanding to see the direct results from the lab. If you don't ever see those results, sent directly from the lab, you don't even have a guarantee that a lab test has actually been performed; you could have just been given a standard or random interpretation. Even with the lab itself, only independent oversight and accreditation can assure you that tests really are being performed. Without these guarantees, any service like this is wide open to abuse and exploitation.

I would like to see on this thread some comparative analysis of hair mineral testing services: the prices of various services and precisely what they provide. It is not unreasonable for any customer or potential customer of these services to ask these questions.

It is reasonable to ask, but it is unreasonable to expect these answers from these forums, when they can make these enquiries themselves directly?

Some people have chosen to deal directly with Christine as far as hair analysis goes. (I have not ordered a HMT with Christine). I think it is unreasonable for them to continually defend their choice.

I haven`t paid 200 dollars. I have paid nothing but what I have received is well worth more than that and it has been more help than anything else I have tried and interpretations of tests from lab. Christine is a very caring person and committed to helping people. Her work is based on her experience treating animals and people and the proof of the pudding is on the eating. I and others here are benefitting.
There is no question whatsoever that Christine's business has also benefited enormously from the publicity on this thread, and whenever you and others who received services for free say that it has been beneficial, that is the best possible free advert her business could have. You could justify a place on the payroll really, although if you were on the payroll you wouldn't be allowed to promote the business here of course. It's fine for members to post here about products and services they have found helpful, but the discussion of those benefits, and the detail of the products and services, has to be an open one.

hixxy

Also, this is clearly a thread about Christine's Hair Mineral Testing and her techniques with treatment.

Your request for analysis of business model and comparison of alternative services is a completely different subject altogether and deserves a completely separate thread.

If that is not clear by the thread title, maybe it needs altering to reflect the content of this thread.

It is reasonable to ask, but it is unreasonable to expect these answers from these forums, when they can make these enquiries themselves directly?
I do not think it is at all unreasonable to ask these questions, and I think it is unusual not to just answer them. For any other topic of discussion it would be normal for questions to be asked and answered.

Some people have chosen to deal directly with Christine as far as hair analysis goes. (I have not ordered a HMT with Christine). I think it is unreasonable for them to continually defend their choice.
I don't see what is unreasonable in members asking questions about a service that is being discussed. If those questions were answered, there would be no reason for them to be asked repeatedly.

Also, this is clearly a thread about Christine's Hair Mineral Testing and her techniques with treatment.
This thread is about Hair Mineral Testing. I see no reason why alternative services should not be discussed here, we would mention related issues on any similar thread.

Your request for analysis of business model and comparison of alternative services is a completely different subject altogether and deserves a completely separate thread.
I don't see why that discussion should be a separate thread. It's a legitimate part of discussing any product or service to consider alternatives.

If that is not clear by the thread title, maybe it needs altering to reflect the content of this thread.
The thread title is quite clear; if this is a thread about one particular company then perhaps it is that company that should be the subject of a different thread. Since it seems that it is in practice a thread about one company then maybe the thread title should be changed to that company's name, but it makes no difference to the fact that questions may be asked on the thread about that company, and alternative related products and services can also be discussed.

aquariusgirl

Mark, a consumer cannot just order a test from ARL. You have to be a licensed practitioner with an account with them. This is pretty typical for many of the labs we use for metabolic testing -- same goes for Doctor's Data, Great Plains, Genovations.
http://www.arltma.com/FAQ.htm
You could have established this with a couple of minutes on google.
A lot of the things you say reveal an irritating ignorance about the business of lab testing. For example, most labs do NOT reveal what they charge practitioners because it is up to the practitioners' to decide how much to mark up the test.