• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Got a juicer

brenda

Hi Frickly

Sorry to disappoint you but take a look at this

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081031095113AACjKpo

Some juice though is better than none but for anyone who is really serious in improving their health, there are some not too expensive masticating juicers to be had and it is indeed an investment. I think you will be impressed by the difference in taste.

I have heard that adding pulp stops the juice going straight into the bloodstream which is the benefit of juicing to start with.

Frickly

Sigh.....

I can still take this one back but don't think I can afford to spend more than $200. I will have to research this on the internet this weekend. By the way...I discovered today that I hate beets.:eek:

The good thing about this juicer is that it produces tons of juice with very few produce. It also seems to do a good job at juicing fruit and vegis. It is a pain to clean.

Jody

For a drink that will move you to tears, try this.

Carrots, beets, garlic, onion and/or green onion, celery, ginger, and ginger.

Not for the faint of heart. Or the tender constitution.

Frickly

Jeez..Jody

I love garlic and onion but somehow think it won't be the same in a cup. Thanks but I think I'll pass.:eek:

Frickly

Help

Ok...juiced a grapefruit, orange and half a lemon with a little olive oil and have felt like I have a fever ever since. I used to a lemon, water, olive oil drink twice per day and was fine and of course I drink orange juice on occassion with no problem so I can only assume it was the grapefruit. Can anyone think of any reason that it would affect me this way?

Frickly

Jenbrooks

Any were from 200-300. I have been looking at them online but not sure which is the best one. Does yours eject pulp? Do you have one of the following? Which is the best omega? Does a masticating produce as much juice as a centrifuge? What is the difference between a pulp ejector and one that does not eject pulp? If it dosn't eject pulp where does all the pulp go? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

http://www.omegajuicersdirect.com/store.php?productID=117

http://www.omegajuicersdirect.com/

Victoria

If you're taking drugs/medications, never drink/eat grapefruit or pomegranite juice, apparently, it affects the medicinal action of the drugs.

Victoria

PS Never throw whole apples in for juicing. The pips have minute traces of arsenic in them. I have read that a cup full (yuck) of apples pips has enough arsenic to kill you. Apparently, arsenic builds up in the body, so even throwing just one whole apple (with pips) in your juicer per day would eventually build up to high levels of arsenic.

brenda

Good advice Victoria.

Some suggestions

e-bay

advertise locally for unwanted machines

search for sellers who have returned, renovated ones

sites where sellers offer you items you ask for

ask for one for Christmas from family!

Victoria

And the best juice combinations?

What ever you like. Keeping in mind that fresh juice of any vegetable or fruit (well, not too much fruit with all that sugar), should be used as an addition to your diet, not in place of, a fresh, varied diet with the right kind of fibre.

And if you're very ill, I would be taking a concentrated, home made chicken broth - light, nutritious & highly medicinal according to Chinese medicine. (I used to leave mine in the fridge overnight so that the layer of solidified fat can be skimmed off the top, then strained to remove any odd bits). The nutritional and recuperative value of fresh vegetable and fruit juices is helpful and can't be denied, but I'm a fan of chicken broth used by the Chinese when you're weak, unwell or recuperating from an illness.

The one & only book on my shelf specifically on juicing, is by Dr Norman W Walker published in 1970.

Dr Walker says.........

"It is foolish to say that juices are a concentrated food. Nothing could be further from the truth. A concentrated food is a product which has been dehydrated, from which its water content has been dissipated. Juices on the other hand are very liquid food, mostly organic water of the finest quality with the nourishing atoms and molecules in comparatively miroscopic volume. It is the microscopic volume for which the cells and tissues of the the body are starved!"

"A diet consisting wholly or mainly of devitalized foods inevitably results in the breaking down of these cells, creating a condition of sickness or disease"

I've never bothered looking for other books on juicing in the 70's as he says it all.

Although.................... I am a great fan of the late Dr Bernard Jensen, Nutritionist. His books Nature Has a Remedy (it can be physical, mental or spiritual), Foods that Heal (based on the original works of Hppocrates, V G Rocine, & Bernard Jensen) & a fascinating little book In Search of Shandgri-La (A Personal journey to Tibet) are favourites.

He must have got something right, born in 1908, he passed away in 2001, a month short of his 93rd Birthday. He talks about juices & juicers in his book, Nature has a Remedy.

I'd better do a review of Dr Bernard Jenson's books for my next Books on My Shelf review I think.

He was a remarkable man & had a remarkable Life & despite having bought his books many years ago, I still refer to them to this day.

And by the way (as I said on another post) my favourite juice is still (all organic of course - even with thorough washing or peeling of ingredients, non-organic, would give you a powerful kick of pesticides etc),

2 large sticks of celery including the leaves (the greener the better)
1/4 long continental cucumber,
2 medium carrots (yes, I know they're high in sugar)
& one large cored & de-pipped green Granny Smith apple.

Occasionally I would add 1/4 of a small beetroot (beets in the US) - watch for the reddish urine & stools if you use beetroot - I got quite a fright the first time I added beetroot to a juice mix. Haven't juiced for a few years, but since my brother is taking me shopping tomorrow, I might get some extra vegies at the organic shop & do some juicing (& my brother can carry the heavy load). A treat for the week.

I think fruit juiced is too high in sugar & you're better off eating the whole fruit & getting all the fibre.

But that's just my opinion. Drink whatever you like (as long as you don't overdo it).

I have a centrifugal juicer which can take very large pieces in the chute, but the best juicers are the hydraulic press ones that triturate the fibres in order to extract the vital elements into the liquid.

But any juicer is better than no juicer is my motto.

Victoria :)

Frickly

Brenda and Victoria

Brenda, I have packed up my juicer and am going to try the Omega 8006. I think it is the same as yours but just a newer model.

Victoria, thanks for all the good info. I did read some cautions regarding drinking grapefruit juice and will look for book you mentioned.

brenda

Good to hear Frickly - it will pay in the long run. Mine is the Oscar 900. It is not so great at green leafy vegetable but not that bad. I just love how easy it is to clean and the juice tastes great. My friends have a centrifugal and cannot believe the difference when they try mine.

Frickly

Jenbrooks and Brenda

I got mixed up. I meant to say that I think I got the same Omega as Jenbrooks.

Thanks Jenbrooks!

To be continued.............

Finch

Down With the Sickness
Frickly and all

Thank you for this thread! I've been interested in getting a juicer for some time, but I'm afraid I'd be too lazy to do all the work involved (buying and cleaning the fruits and vegetables mostly). I'd really like to give it a try, though. I'm learning a lot just by reading here, and maybe I'll get inspired to give it a try!

Keep us updated, Frickly, and everyone please keep posting your good recommendations.

Frickly

Got new juicer

I got my Omega masticating juicer yesterday and like it much better than the other one. It is so much easier to clean and surprisingly does an excellent job juicing leafy greens. This morning I had cucumber, carrott, spinach and apple. Yummi I am going to try making cinnamon apple sauce for my daughter and salsa for me. Now I just need a chair with rollers so I can roll around my kitchen. I am in alot of pain today.:mad:

Victoria

Frickly,

Sorry to hear you are in a lot of pain today.

Life sucks, when those episodes try to drown us out.

Try not to do too much.

Years ago (when at my worst), people would say stop dwelling on the pain, go out, have a few drinks, you'll forget all about it.

What a silly thing to say. How can you forget about pain that consumes you so that each breath you take hurts, and each movement has to be done in slow motion to enable you to do anything at all.

Take care & I hope you wake up tomorrow feeling much better.

Victoria :)

brenda

Frickly

Great to hear you got your new juicer and like it better. Not so great to hear about your pain :(

I think it is vital to have a juicer that is easy to clean - we don't want anything to discourage us to be healthier!