• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

glutathione, b12 and lithium

Learner1

Ben Lynch talks about how if someone has:
- sick cells/deficient in healthy mitochondria, low glutathione, oxidised cell membranes, low potassium etc that B12 will make that person worse. How does that work, you have to raise glutathione first, heal cells? Or remove metals first?
My experience has been doing a little of everything together has helped.

Fixing cell/mito membranes with phosphatidyl choline and NT Factor is important.

Given some of the other issuurs we've discussed, I've been finding that increasing glutathione helps, but increasing ALA, A, and E have been incredibly useful, too. In your situation, C may be counterproductive in all but a minimum dose.

And ensuring you have adequate B vitamins - B12 is important, but B6, B1, B2, folate, and trace minerals, including calcium, magnesium, molybdenum, zinc, manganese, etc are important too.

This is interesting in regards to lithium. In Freddds case lithium has helped the B12 retain in the cell. I have started trying lithium orotate as well as i have always had very elevated b12 serum levels.

You are welcome. I just got back from the doctor. For the last 18 months I have been titrating Lithium Orotate (from 240 mcg to 960 mcg of Li). I can no longer produce the results I posted the other day. Homeostasis has been restored in my body. I have tapered the MeCbl injections from 30mg a day as 3x10mg to 5 mg A WEEK. All of the hot and cold running bottleneck deficiencies that changed every time I added or subtracted something has disappeared. My potassium daily down from 5000 mg to 1500 mg. Besides building TCR-Li and getting b12 into my nervous systems, it also strips the ligand providing COB[II] and stores B12 for me at least a week rather than 8 hours I used to get. All sorts of things have become more steady, instead of the rough and fast refeeding syndrome I and many others have been suffering from when I took vitamins. This is my first post saying this. This is not optimized. I found that all the other micronutrients also needed to be there to prevent damage to so many kinds of tissues. Several others are having similar results but iust is all in progress and nothing is complete or optimized. It seems that the failure of effective homeostasis in the body is at least in part caused by perhaps the only real deficiency I had, Lithium. And I would also like to say that in the last year my gut has healed. I also have to do without milk and white flour or other sources of folic acid but I had been doing that for a decade or more without the healing I have had. As I said before, we are all different but we do share a lot of biochemistry, any exactness quite unknown. I sharing the clues I have found the hard way. Too much B1`, B2, B3 caused me all kinds of misery and I had to order a specific relatively low dose b-complex becasue of all the problems too much B1, B2, B3 caused me. Too much B6 interacts with testosterone and pushes my hematocrit too high. I can't point to any such things any more since this homoeostasis has been established for the first time in my life at 71. I'm having to learn my biochemistry responses all over again. Good luck and be well.

L'engle

moogle
@Kadar The original reaction ended after a few weeks but my thyroid is still very reactive to everything, years later. Still sorting it.

Hi Oh_noes,

Glutathione in too high a dose, whatever that is, flushes active b12s from the body and brain but not the mitochondria in hours apparently inducing methyltrap in hours and neurological damage in a month or less. Glutathione generation requires both methylation start and ATP start, otherwise it can be deadlocked. I agree with Adreno, b12 doesn't need lithium to get b12 into cells. However, that doesn't mean that you might not find it beneficial. Glutathione is "too dangerous to take in any way" according to one researcher I talked with.
I'm a little confused on this and am hoping that you (or anyone else with knowlege on these subjects) could clear something up for me.

I've realized that I clearly have low b12 since I reacted so positivly to b12 injections (sudden energy and it felt like I could see and feel everything better). But I also have reasons to be concerned about heavy metal toxicity (mercury fillings and a known lead exposure). I've read that glutathione helps protect against the oxadative damage from heavy metals and aids with their excreation. I don't currently have the money to get my fillings removed so I wanted to take glutathione to protect my brain while waiting to get rid of my fillings. But will supplementation just completely negate any b12 supplements?

I can't tell if my neurological symptoms are from low b12, mercury, or a combination of both. I've had the mercury fillings since I was 12 (the dentist scammed my parents by claiming it was a good idea to drill my teeth as a preventative treatment to avoid cavities) but didn't end up with CFS until I was 27. I have a feeling the the b12 deficency is more of a problem but I also don't want to accidenly make myself worse by ignoring potential mercury toxicity.

Any advice on what to do/where to start would be greatly appreciated.

Freddd

It can take years of cell making to grow enough TCR-Li as far as I experienced and have observed in others . B12 was identified in 1948 and the 1950's studies had no idea about the lithium TCR-Li as to how fluoride can disable B12. They started researching with no understanding of fluoride disabling the TCR-Li. we were disabling the B12 and didn't have any idea. Many still believe that it can't be absorbed in the mouth. I used CyanoCbl and folic acid and kept reading until I found why that may not be usable for some people. After decades of taking CyanoCb;l and folic acid and I had 200+ symptoms of B12-folate deficiency symptoms.
Five minutes after putting the first MeCbl tablet sublingually. I knew my life was changed. Instead of having lots of streps and pneumonias all my life to that point, I haven't had any of that after taking MeCbl sublingually in 2003. With methylfolate essentially everything started healing and I needed very quickly that I also needed 4000-5000 mg of potassium daily. At my internist's, each 3 weeks, as I was dying from congestive heart failure 12-13 years after first diagnosed, and everybody in the office could SEE the differences. The visible changes lasted for about a year. Healing all 200+ symptoms took 17 years.

In that period, I have had a single cold just a couple of weeks ago. The previous last illness was a pneumonia in March of 2003. And obviously I didn't die of congestive heart failure in 2003 or 2004. I lost 45 pounds of water in a month, twice. First with starting methylfolate and had another loss of another 45 pounds of water in a month. with starting L-carnitine fumarate.

I do not believe that that there is any need to get rid of your fillings. When I went deficient of Boron, I had as the dentist called it "Wild fire" decay. and all my uppers were removed. I had started boron that week. When I went back 2 weeks later for the lowers and the "wildfire" decay stopped with the 3 weeks of boron supplement with MeCbl, and methylfolate and a B-complex without CyanoCbl and/or folic acid.

In the course of things they were replaced as the teeth eroded or removed for cause of more decay and the "wildfire" decay stopped cold with a Boron supplement with the MeCbl, AdoCbl and methylfolate. I have had 2 lowers removed 20 years after starting the Boron.

Wayne

Five minutes after putting the first MeCbl tablet sublingually. I knew my life was changed.
Hey @Freddd -- I was just wondering recently whether you were still posting here on PR. I guess when you have a five minutes like you describe above, you can't not come back and share your story and what you've learned. Would that be accurate? As always, good to see you sharing your hard won insights. :)

Freddd

I have posted much of everything over the years often here. Also, it must be understood. I have a genetic disease called CBLC disease. I need to take both MeCbl and AdoCbl. and methylfolate. I also take a multivitamin with small amounts of methylfolate and MeCbl. It turns out I needed 5 years of lithium with the cell making and including MeCbl, AdoCbl and methylfolate to make cells with TCR-Li. And I still do as I get as much dental fluoride as most people do these days. I take 20 mg of lithium contained in lithium orotate.