• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Glutamine or Ornithine Alpha-Ketoglutarate

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Just wanted to mention that I use this https://www.swansonvitamins.com/p/swanson-condition-specific-formulas-ghr-essentials-120-caps and it does seem to help me. I assumed, because it is lowering ammonia. (For me, it seems to work a lot better than just ornithine or citrulline. It also works better than the Piping Rock version.)

I also think the arginine in there helps my heart. Most of the time if my heart is racing, it will lower it by about 10-15 bpm w/in about 20 minutes after taking. (No guarantee it would do that for other people though.)

Anyway, slightly off topic but thought I'd mention it since it does have L-Ornithine Alpha-Ketoglutarate

This is the only supplement that once in a while will help me wake up slightly refreshed for about 15-20 minutes at the start of my day IF I take it before bed. However, just be aware that on a rare occasion is has also given me insomnia.

Even so, I like taking it before bed because the next day my heart rate seems to stay lower for a while.

I hope they never discontinue it. It was unavailable for a while which is why I bought the Piping Rock version but as I said that one doesn't feel the same as the Swanson one.

Also when I reacted badly to BCAAs and another time to an amino acid complex this product was what lowered the reaction by about 60%. For whatever reason, I think the amino acids make extra ammonia in my system. I had severe burning pain in my jaw, neck, shoulders, back and a little down my legs too after taking those aminos.

Everyone is different though. I'm not one of the smart people on the site but just thought I'd mention that supplement.

Edit: After using it off and on for years, it hasn't put me into remission with the ME though. :(
However, I usually don't take more than 1-2 a day when I take it. (Usually just one a day.)

Maybe if I took more and/or went back to taking it more consistently. ??

Last edited:

linusbert

Did you benefit from a-ketoglutarate? According to Phairs theory there should be ammonia released when energy is getting low in the brain.

i cannot tell, right now i am fighting with mast cells and asthma and doing a elimination phase of supplements.
i did take CM/AKG (calcium/magnesium bound) a few times and did at least not experience a worsening of symptoms.

regarding the mast cells i can say so far that vegan Vitamin D (in any dose) as well as K2/mk4 (carlson in any dose) do not worsen my mast cell/histamin/asthma problematic.
i suspect B1, B5, (sulfur? - though eggs do not trigger) some C or methylators or Soyproducts to be the problem , but i need to do more testing.

Also when I reacted badly to BCAAs and another time to an amino acid complex this product was what lowered the reaction by about 60%. For whatever reason, I think the amino acids make extra ammonia in my system. I had severe burning pain in my jaw, neck, shoulders, back and a little down my legs too after taking those aminos.
the reason probably is that if amino acids are burnt for energy (or maybe always if metabolised), they release ammonia and ketoglutarate binds that ammonia reducing the burden - creating glutamine/glutamate in the prodcess(? not sure EDIT: consul clarified). if you do not take the KG , the body will use other substrates like KG from own body stores which otherwise used in the citrate cycle - as buffer for ammonia. and a impaired krebs cycle directly affects ATP production leading to loss of energy.

Last edited: