• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

get super thirsty being on computer

Mouse girl

I've always seen that being on the computer or iphone makes me worse. lately, i get super thirsty and dehyraided when going on computer. don't think i've noticed this before, the thirsty thing from computer. anyone else?

i've had super thirst on and off during illness, it's been bad lately as i have very low salt even though i put salt on everything. i had been dangerously low with salt as i stopped due to high blood pressure and my doctor got very worried and told me to eat salt again right away. i'm super stressed and paniced and it's effecting my health badly.

dave11

My own thirst and temperature dysregulation issues relate to low salt - hyponatremia. As needed, I take sea salt. Using a computer, as far as I have noticed, does not affect my salt level. I like the book called "Adrenal Fatigue, The 21st Century Stress Syndrome", available on Amazon, which discusses salt supplementation.

This thread might interest you:
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/salt-tabs-favorite-brands-dosage.83671/

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Has your doctor been treating you for possible adrenal insufficiency?

I wonder with all you've been going through lately if your adrenals are having a hard time producing sufficient cortisol.

That thought came to me today when I was stressing about computer issues. My stress seemed over the top and I realized it would be amplified if my body was running low on cortisol. It's like the body goes into a sort of panic of it's own.

The thought actually had a calming effect and then I thought about you @Mouse girl because our situations are somewhat similar right now.

I think that means we need to do things to support our adrenals more and then we will be able to cope better with some of these life events.

I like the book called "Adrenal Fatigue, The 21st Century Stress Syndrome"

Yep. Gotta go find my copy too. :)

Mouse girl

thanks @dave11 and @Judee . I ordered some salt stick tabs to see if they help. I put salt on everything I eat but I'm just not doing well.

Judee, how are you doing with your relocation and grief lately?

Viala

I've always seen that being on the computer or iphone makes me worse. lately, i get super thirsty and dehyraided when going on computer. don't think i've noticed this before, the thirsty thing from computer. anyone else?

i've had super thirst on and off during illness, it's been bad lately as i have very low salt even though i put salt on everything. i had been dangerously low with salt as i stopped due to high blood pressure and my doctor got very worried and told me to eat salt again right away. i'm super stressed and paniced and it's effecting my health badly.

Excessive thirst can be connected to blood sugar levels and prediabetes. Personally I don't believe that more salt is good. We never ate that much sodium in our history. Ratio between sodium and potassium was for a long time like 1 to 5-10, now it is 2 to 1 and higher. I feel better on low salt high potassium diet. Sodium found in food gives about 300-600mg daily, with a little bit of salt that's about 1,5g sodium daily. I think the answer is upping potassium and lowering sodium, but of course it will not be true for everyone. On the other hand we don't eat enough potassium.

Worsening of symptoms while using pc or a phone may be related to LED backlighting and excessive blue light, which affects cortisol and our circadian rhytm. EMI and EMF can also affect blood sugar levels.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Judee, how are you doing with your relocation and grief lately?

The relocation kinda fell through. That's maybe a good thing although I still worry about finances.

The grief only seems bearable on days when my health is slightly better but with grief and this disease it seems like a vicious cycle so good health moments (not really days actually) are few and far between lately. :(

That's actually why I'm glad I got the idea about the adrenals. I've been tested for Addison's before and it was negative but I really do think the grief and the changes in my life are creating, if not Addison's, at least some kind of adrenal issues which then of course, become another kind of vicious cycle.

YippeeKi YOW !!

I think the answer is upping potassium and lowering sodium, but of course it will not be true for everyone
I think you're right, tho as you note, not necessarily for everyone. But for a surprizing number of 'ones'.

I've read in several places, and pretty much proved it out empirically for myself, that increasing potassium DOES help.

But for me at least, it's kind of like juggling plates. Some days I need a little more, some days a little less, and guessing which is going to be whazzis is truly a fools errand. So a sort of carefully orchestrated fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants operation.

I'm tagging in @Mary , whose posts on potassium were one of the first places I learned that my belief that potassium was helping was based in actuality ....

Mary

Moderator Resource
i've had super thirst on and off during illness, it's been bad lately as i have very low salt even though i put salt on everything. i had been dangerously low with salt as i stopped due to high blood pressure and my doctor got very worried and told me to eat salt again right away.
@Mouse girl - @YippeeKi YOW !! may be right. The problem with your high BP might be low potassium.
How Potassium Can Help Control High Blood Pressure | American Heart Association
Unfortunately it seems that most doctors concentrate on salt and don't mention potassium in relation to blood pressure.

Low potassium can also cause excessive thirst:

Hypokalemia - NORD (National Organization for Rare Disorders) (rarediseases.org)
Hypokalemia may also impair the ability of the kidneys to concentrate urine, resulting in excessive urination (polyuria) and excessive thirst (polydipsia).

An easy way to get more potassium is to drink low-sodium V8 or vegetable juice - the low-sodium kind is higher in potassium. I would try 2 or 3 glasses of this and see if it helps your symptoms. And if it does, then you can decide about possibly taking a potassium supplement. I've been taking a potassium supplement for 11 years.

Also, people with ME/CFS can have normal potassium levels on blood work but have low intracellular potassium. See Why is potassium supplementation needed in methylation treatmt? | Phoenix Rising ME/CFS Forums

Viala

I think you're right, tho as you note, not necessarily for everyone. But for a surprizing number of 'ones'.

I've read in several places, and pretty much proved it out empirically for myself, that increasing potassium DOES help.

But for me at least, it's kind of like juggling plates. Some days I need a little more, some days a little less, and guessing which is going to be whazzis is truly a fools errand. So a sort of carefully orchestrated fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants operation.

I'm tagging in @Mary , whose posts on potassium were one of the first places I learned that my belief that potassium was helping was based in actuality ....

I go by daily intake, from what I've checked unless we eat loads of veggies, potatoes or bananas, it is really hard to get enough potassium daily. RDA is usually 4700mg and we get about 3000mg from diet. I switched some time ago to mixed salt, half is regular salt and half potassium chloride, it takes about a week to adjust to a new taste, later you wont even notice. But excessive sodium is everywhere including baking powder in pastries, cakes and cookies, also amount of potassium found in food decreased in last century just like most minerals. To keep proper sodium potassium ratio one would need to cook most of their own food including snacks and sweets, but I think it is worth it health-wise.

YippeeKi YOW !!

@Viala ...

Thanks for mentioning the potassium. It's become such an automatic part of my arsenal, and the first thing I take in the morning in my cinnamon/ginger electrolyte-focused tea that I'm not sure I would have thought of it in relation to @Mouse girl 's thirst issues .... I'm having a sub-par day is my excuse, and Ima' stickin' to it ....

Viala

@Viala ...

Thanks for mentioning the potassium. It's become such an automatic part of my arsenal, and the first thing I take in the morning in my cinnamon/ginger electrolyte-focused tea that I'm not sure I would have thought of it in relation to @Mouse girl 's thirst issues .... I'm having a sub-par day is my excuse, and Ima' stickin' to it ....

Your welcome, good to hear that it's not only me who benefits from higher potassium :)