• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Genetic Predisposition for Immune System, Hormone, and Metabolic Dysfunction in ME/CFS: A Pilot Study. Perez et al 2019

pattismith

There is useful things in that study if you can filter the signal from the noise. For example, this supports previous research about a 2.5 times times increased frequency of Mannose-Binding Lectin Deficiency in ME/CFS.

I believe the data is pretty consistent across platforms for certain MBL2 SNPs.

Mannose-Binding Lectin Deficiency is the most common immune deficiency worldwide with a prevalence of about 5 to 10%.
https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/mannose-binding-lectin-deficiency#statistics

But it's so common, that almost nobody knows about it and is treated as it it were an orphan disease. It's a lot more common in certain parts of Africa and has a lot to do with the with the immune response to and severity of Malaria in that region. Common and deleterious.

And it's a risk factor for ME/CFS. I'm sure treatments could be made for it (and I have my own hypotheses for what these treatements might be), but nobody cares.
23andme says I have 2x rs1800450 pathogenic variant (allele frequency 13.89%), so it's probably a factor for my ME/CFS/Fibro....