• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

gaining weight after omega 3 (fish oil) supplementation after only 1 week??

linusbert

i had a persistent weight decline for over a year with my diet and everything i do right now (which actually isnt much except vitamin d here and then)
now i added pure natural fish oil (~2g omega3s a day) last week and now i am 2kg (4.41pounds) heavier. also i notice on the fat rings on my lower belly that those are getting "filled" , more massive again.

i am sooo frustrated now. i was hoping the omega3s will help with my worsening asthma and allergies. thats the reason i introduced it. but i cannot continue this, regimen of 2g omegas for 5 more weeks to see if this helps with the asthma. it could potentially defect my improvements i made with my diabetes.

why is this happening? something with those long chain PUFAs seam to be not beneficial for me. its definitely not the calories. despite the added 100cal from the fish oil, i eat at least 100-200cal less of carbs from bread.

also this specific fish oil i am using is the only marine oil i actually tolerate without getting diarrhea. everything else, all other fish even algea based omega3s make me get diarrhea with lowest amount like 1 teaspoon.

in general with my disease i seam to have trouble burning and using fat for energy, my body seams heavily relying on carbs and proteins. but why with this kind of fat? i can eat fatty cheese all day long and not have this effect.

i also noticed in this time frame a decline in sexual interest and function.

Last edited:

linusbert

Omega 3 is a fat. So beyond what you need gets stored.
thats not it. 7*10g*9 are like 630 cal, that doesnt translate to multiple kgs in weight.
also omega3s arent stored like that, they are used for processes and cell membranes. but they are only like 1/3 of the fish oil, so there would be roughly 400cal from 50/50 saturated and monounsaturated fats.

weight gain through watery fat might be a possibility. but i do not know anything about this physiology.

linusbert

i take it right in the middle of lunch. usually fat is present. i dont take much these days, sometimes a bit vitamin D

Well I really do not know anything with this disease however some supplements on empty stomach shuts down my appetite. bee pollen and omega before breakfast are the two. appetite raisers for me nadh b vitamins especially b12 and nac strangely after lunch.
everyone is different. might be a silly opinion.

ruben

I only wish I could gain a bit of weight. Too many digestive issues. Bloatedness and nausea.

linusbert

I only wish I could gain a bit of weight. Too many digestive issues. Bloatedness and nausea.
i couldnt get any weight when i was "healthy"er , then i crashed, switched to eating all 2-3 hours, now i am fat. (though i was looking really slim, sickly slim before, i had big belly, probably from insulin resistence) cant loose much weight even with hypocalloric diet. i did loose 10kg with the vitamin D and switch of bread from nursing home industrial bread to something better. but the calories are the same.
once a clinic put me on heavy caloric restriction, despite heavy brainfog an diarrhea, i gained almost 10kg in like 6 weeks. i even had ketones in my blood and urine. as this is hardly to justify with psychiatric issues they decided to ignore it. the doctor blanked out, it was insane, like if you cut a tape for 10 seconds. it so much didnt fit his idea of my disease that he blanked out just not responding to the question why i would gain weight with caloric restriction even having ketones.

so for me the what i eat decides everything in terms of weight gain or loss. but i dont have much room to play with food otherwise i crash. also its often contradicting, one food improves one thing, and worsens another.. it seams impossible to just fix everything.

Last edited:

GreenEdge

i had a persistent weight decline for over a year with my diet and everything i do right now (which actually isnt much except vitamin d here and then)
I've just had the same experience, for several months I've been increasing my animal fat intake and have been losing fat, mostly from my buttocks. (Sometimes I take Magnesium Taurate, B1 (TTFD) and vitamin D)

now i added pure natural fish oil (~2g omega3s a day) last week and now i am 2kg (4.41pounds) heavier. also i notice on the fat rings on my lower belly that those are getting "filled" , more massive again.
Same here, after 2 weeks of omega 3 (fish oil) supplementation, I have gained 3-4 kg and it's all belly fat. But, I've also noticed I've been eating more often; 2 meals a day instead of the usual OMAD, so it might not be the fish oil.

To gain weight like that, I can't be ketogenic, so I've now gone back to 1 meal a day. Then yesterday, not hungry (so I must be in ketosis again), I started a fast. I only eat when I'm hungry and I don't when I'm not so I won't be eating again until hunger returns (usually after 3-5 days). This has happened to me several times before and the fat gained is lost again quite quickly, via OMAD + fasting.

why is this happening? something with those long chain PUFAs seam to be not beneficial for me.
PUFAs have a short shelf life, so it's possible Omega 3 supplementation caused inflammation... Now that I think about it, an uncomfortable feeling in my stomach has caused me to eat more foods I know I shouldn't have; like ham, eggs and yogurt. It's funny how such a small change led me away from what I know is best.

I think, these experiences are a good thing because it teaches me what's good for my body and what's not. It's become increasingly clear to me that I feel best when I eat only ruminant meat (lion diet).

BTW. For about 4 weeks (around February), I felt almost normal (just lacking fitness). It was so good, I felt amazing. If eating only ruminant meat (beef, lamb) is what I must do to regain health, then I'll gladly do that for as long as it takes. And if that works to cure me, then I'll likely stick to it forever.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
This is very strange, losing weight then gaining so much with not enough calories to account for it.
How weight is regulated is not fully understood, calories in/calories out/excess is weight is simply incorrect.

From hormone changes to microbiome composition to birth control pills and more, the same number of calories can lead to weight changes that we do not understand. In addition allergies can cause weight fluctuations but the mechanism behind it is not understood afaik.

My suggestion is to check what your healthy weight is and see what happens. Check how many calories roughly you are consuming as well. If you were eating sufficient calories yet losing weight then that's bad, but conversely if you were eating too many and still not gaining weight thats bad as well despite society's obsession with thinness.

GreenEdge

This is very strange, losing weight then gaining so much with not enough calories to account for it.
How weight is regulated is not fully understood, calories in/calories out/excess is weight is simply incorrect.
There's no need to count calories. All that matters is keeping insulin low. If I don't eat carbs, I don't gain weight no matter how much fat calories I eat. Like a type 1 diabetic, without insulin one can not gain weight.

Carbohydrates are not essential to humans, we can make the small amount we require through a process called gluconeogenesis. It is far healthier to let the body make it's own glucose. You do not need to eat carbs.

All digestible carbohydrates ultimately break down into glucose. Sugar, starches or complex carbohydrates; the only difference is the speed at which it ends up as blood glucose.

Until recently, like other animals we only ever drank water, milk or blood. Our genetics have no answer to safely handle sugary drinks. When we eat fast carbs or consume a sugary drink (eg. juice), blood glucose rises far quicker than our body can respond causing a glucose spike.

Raised blood glucose is toxic, resulting in advanced glycation end products (AGEs) which are proteins or lipids that become glycated after exposure to sugars. AGEs are prevalent in the diabetic vasculature and contribute to the development of atherosclerosis. Free radicals are formed in diabetes by glucose oxidation, protein glycation, and the subsequent degradation of glycated proteins. High levels of free radicals and the simultaneously declined antioxidant enzyme levels lead to cell damage, inactivation of enzymes, and lipid peroxidation.

The human body will go to great lengths to maintain blood glucose at a low level. The hormone insulin is the distress signal to tell all our cells to take up glucose (if they can't, that's insulin resistance) and use it or store as fat - in order to restore/maintain blood glucose at a low level. Insulin is a fat storage hormone. In the presence of insulin, we can not access our fat stores for energy.

If we don't raise blood glucose, our pancreas doesn't release insulin and we remain in a ketogenic state accessing our fat stores and using fat as fuel. This is our natural state.

Last edited:

Alvin2

No, it's not about counting calories. All that matters is keeping insulin low. If I don't eat carbs, I don't gain weight no matter how much fat calories I eat. Like a type 1 diabetic, without insulin one can not gain weight.

Carbohydrates are not essential to humans, we can make the small amount we require through a process called gluconeogenesis. It is far healthier to let the body make it's own glucose. You do not need to eat carbs.

All digestible carbohydrates ultimately break down into glucose. Sugar, starches or complex carbohydrates; the only difference is the speed at which it ends up as blood glucose.

Until recently, like other animals we only ever drank water, milk or blood. Our genetics have no answer to safely handle sugary drinks. When we eat fast carbs or consume a sugary drink (eg. juice), blood glucose rises far quicker than our body can respond causing a glucose spike.

Raised blood glucose is toxic, resulting in advanced glycation end products (AGEs) which are proteins or lipids that become glycated after exposure to sugars. AGEs are prevalent in the diabetic vasculature and contribute to the development of atherosclerosis. Free radicals are formed in diabetes by glucose oxidation, protein glycation, and the subsequent degradation of glycated proteins. High levels of free radicals and the simultaneously declined antioxidant enzyme levels lead to cell damage, inactivation of enzymes, and lipid peroxidation.

The human body will go to great lengths to maintain blood glucose at a low level. The hormone insulin is the distress signal to tell all our cells to take up glucose (if they can't, that's insulin resistance) and burn it or store it as fat in order to restore/maintain blood glucose at a low level. Insulin is a fat storage hormone. In the presence of insulin, we can not access our fat stores for energy.

If we don't raise blood glucose, our pancreas doesn't release insulin and we remain in a ketogenic state accessing our fat stores and using fat as fuel. This is our natural state.
I am tired of your misinformation.

I didn't reply to your last post to not cause arguments, so i'm just leaving things here.

linusbert

Same here, after 2 weeks of omega 3 (fish oil) supplementation, I have gained 3-4 kg and it's all belly fat. But, I've also noticed I've been eating more often; 2 meals a day instead of the usual OMAD, so it might not be the fish oil.
not my issue, i have my food perfectly rationed, its enough in my portions for exactly 7 days until i get a new delivery. i do not have the possibility to eat more.
PUFAs have a short shelf life, so it's possible Omega 3 supplementation caused inflammation
actually this could be it.
i ve heard in a video that in presence of inflammation and insuline resistence, some things cannot be metablized and then lead to weight gain, but i think it was about saturated fats and not pufas.
I am tired of your misinformation.

I didn't reply to your last post to not cause arguments, so i'm just leaving things here.
dont, if you have other information you should share it. otherwise we cannot progress and find the "truth"

GreenEdge

not my issue, i have my food perfectly rationed, its enough in my portions for exactly 7 days until i get a new delivery. i do not have the possibility to eat more.
In that case it's probably inflammation. Inflammation causes weight gain as water. So even thou it appears you have gained belly fat, it's probably mostly inflammation in adipose tissue.

Alvin2

dont, if you have other information you should share it. otherwise we cannot progress and find the "truth"
Thanks for the vote of confidence :thumbsup:

Its been the same discussion from thread to thread, the all meat diet is supposed to cure a huge number of diseases but the claims never stand up to scrutiny or simple common sense. Then the adherents pretend the conversations never happened and the same claims get repeated.
The crux of it that some ME patients do well on it because they are able to bypass carbohydrate metabolism and that happens to be a hack for them. For most ME patients it does nothing.
Its a nasty diet to maintain even if it works, the very serious side effects are explained away as good for you and nutrient deficiencies are ignored or explained away with fantastically unbelievable conjecture.

I can also get into why the historical claims it posits are implausible but then i am just rehashing the same argument and i would prefer to work on your issues then have the same conversation again.

You mentioned you were losing weight, did you ever figure out why and are you underweight, normal weight or overweight? The reasons i ask is that the body actually tries to relegate weight to a certain degree and it might help explain a few things.

linusbert

meat diet circumvents all plant toxins and pesticides at once. modern plants having more toxins than ever. gene manipulation, special breads.. all have the goal to increase native plant toxins. or add immunity to real heavy toxins like glyphosate. but humans didnt adapt that fast to more toxins.
so IMHO it definitely makes sense to try meat only for a while in any auto immune condition.
but greenedge did not talk about carnivore above, he was talking about carbohydrate restriction and basically LOGI diet , which makes sense. you can do that also without meat.

sadly i cannot go low carbs , or even just low insulin index foods, i need reverse-logi cost to function. sadly.

"Carbohydrates are not essential to humans"
if you refer to that, there are human tribes eating 99% plants and others eating 99% animals. and both are good and healthy. so human is highly flexible. but i doubt that one guy from the 99% plants tribe will do good on animal food and vice versa. its individual genetics.
also modern society is a mix of many different genomes. so who knows what our prefered best food source is.

You mentioned you were losing weight, did you ever figure out why and are you underweight, normal weight or overweight? The reasons i ask is that the body actually tries to relegate weight to a certain degree and it might help explain a few things.
i am overweight a lot, almost 130 kg (286pounds) now. when i crashed the first time i was 60 kg (132pounds) borderline underweight, then something crashed in my metabolism and i was gaining weight like crazy. i doubled my weight in 3 years. until last year.
i think my body could not transform food to energy and stored more while at the same time i am energy deficient.

Last edited:

Alvin2

meat diet circumvents all plant toxins and pesticides at once
Alpha predators concentrate and accumulate persistent toxins. They move up the food chain.

i am overweight a lot, almost 130 kg (286pounds) now. when i crashed the first time i was 60 kg (132pounds) borderline underweight, then something crashed in my metabolism and i was gaining weight like crazy. i doubled my weight in 3 years. until last year.
i think my body could not transform food to energy and stored more while at the same time i am energy deficient.
Egads.

I'm also gaining weight as the ME progresses despite my not very large food intake, energy we do not use is stored. That said there are so many things that can affect weight from thyroid to micrbiome or other hormones and so much more.
And with ME we add another wrinkle we do less and we likely have energy production deficits which as you say would lead to the energy being stored.

I would be more curious why you got down to 132 pounds that seems to be the elephant in the room here and might explain a great deal.

GreenEdge

I'm a believer of Carbohydrate-Insulin Model of Obesity - dietary carbohydrate drives insulin which drives fat.

These two investigative journalists deserve a medal: Gary Taubes and Nina Teicholz
Their work and publications in the early 2000's awoke the scientific community to substances in our diet making us less healthy. Their books re-awoke my interested in nutrition over a decade ago.

See YouTube:
The Case Against Sugar | Gary Taubes
Big Fat Nutrition Policy | Nina Teicholz

I then read The art and science of low carbohydrate living and The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance by Jeff S. Volek, PhD, RD and Stephen D. Phinney, MD, PhD

And I moved towards a ketogenic diet. It took me almost a year to lower carbs enough to become ketogenic. I was pescetarian keto for 5 years, before I went carnivore in March 2022. I've been a member of PR forum since June 2020 and my first carnivore post was in July 2022. :)

Last edited: