• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gaba and sleep

A zombie

i cant tolerate l-theanine , Llmd told me to take it. I have comt and knew it could ne a problem for me as other methyl donors are. I tried and failed miserably.
My lllm said this happened cause i have L BBB. One weird thing gaba doesn't do anything for me. I haven't taken it in a while but i do take kaviance which has gaba and it doesn't do anything...
Also my Llmd recommended i take APEX resvertrol. thoughts?

ahmo

I heard someone on one of the teleconferences recently that GABA only works w/ leaky BBB. It used to be a great aid for me, then after some years, I no longer needed it.

I think I just said the same thing you said.:confused: Resveratrol is a good antioxidant. If you have histamine issues, use the Japanese knotweed type instead of red wine. Eventually I found that my body prefers acai as antioxidant.

Kathevans

I have pretty good luck with Source Naturals L-Tryptophan with B6 in it. I often take it in the middle of the night and it slowly lulls me back to sleep. Are you taking plenty of magnesium? I take about 500-600 mg in divided doses at lunch and dinner--citrate and malate. I understand this can also help COMT. Zinc, which I've had to titrate drop by drop is also definitely a help at night, though with each increase it gave me sweats. Those slowly faded and I assume had to do with detox. Zinc is helpful for the short-route methylation cycle which involves BHMT. Zinc is a cofactor...

Good luck. For me these issues have been and continue to be an inch by inch sort of thing. I'm just inching along!

A zombie

thanks for your replies...I cant tolerate L-tryp :( i have no clue as i'm LOW :( anyone know reasons why i wouldnt be able to tolerate 5 http,
i just started upping my mag :)
ii don't know if i have histamine issues but i would go with the knotweed just incase :)

Kathevans

Is it possible it has something to do with the fact that 5 htp and L-tryptophan aren't the exact same things?

From NOW's label for 5 htp: 5-HTP, the intermediate metabolite between the amino acid L-tryptophan and serotonin, is extracted from the bean of an African plant (Griffonia simplicifolia).

A zombie

but don they both work in the brain???
the ppl at comt group say its a methyl donor and thats why i cant tolerate it, but i cant tolerate ginseng either, it causes brain zaps, the same at 5htp and l-tryp.

Kathevans

Well, I think l-tryp is an amino acid, whereas 5htp is an intermediary. But I'd have to look it up. Interestingly, a year or two ago I couldn't tolerate l-tryp myself and I never thought why it was that I can now. I'm thinking that being on magnesium, which is said to treat COMT, may have done the trick.

I've been on the magnesium for a couple of years now, though it's only recently that I tried the l-tryp with some success. I know what you mean about the brain zaps.

I'd start with the magnesium--who knows.

Last edited: