• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fun with science videos

Pyrrhus

ATP synthesis in the mitochondrial membrane:
Note that the ATP Synthase enzyme is embedded in the inner membrane of the mitochondria, with a hollow core inside the enzyme. Hydrogen ions (positively charged) accumulate on the positively charged side of the membrane, and flow through the ATP Synthase enzyme to the negatively charged side of the membrane, generating ATP in the process.
(computer animation)

seamyb

Riiiight.

Well CFS is no longer a mystery. The real mystery is how so many people don't have CFS.

Little motors in the mitochondria... I don't want to live a life dependent on little motors in the mitochondria. I'm out.

Pyrrhus

Introduction to Virology:
"Earth's virology professor" Vincent Racaniello is teaching his renowned introductory virology class on YouTube. Class is every Monday and Wednesday at 11:00am New York time, 16:00 London time, and 17:00 Europe time.

Full information about the class:
https://www.virology.ws/virology-live-2021/
Virology Live 2021
I’m trying an experiment in teaching – I’m going to teach my introductory virology as a livestream on YouTube. Sessions will be every Monday and Wednesday, 11 AM eastern Time. Subscribe to my YouTube channel to attend class.

Course resources
  1. You don’t need a textbook to do well in this course, but if you would like to dive into the details, I recommend Principles of Virology. Vol I: Molecular Biology, Vol. II: Pathogenesis and Control (S.J. Flint et al., Fifth Edition, ASM Press 2020). I’m one of the co-authors and Virology Live is based on this textbook.
  2. You should read virology blog for information relevant to the course.
  3. You should listen to the weekly podcast “This Week in Virology”, for lively discussions about virology with multiple hosts.
  4. Slides (pdf) will be posted at this website before each class.
  5. If you missed the livestream, the video will always be available on YouTube.

Jadzhia

Introduction to Virology:
"Earth's virology professor" Vincent Racaniello is teaching his renowned introductory virology class on YouTube. Class is every Monday and Wednesday at 11:00am New York time, 16:00 London time, and 17:00 Europe time.

I thoroughly enjoyed this course, 25 lectures, each 2 hrs long, with the opportunity to ask the Prof questions. Some parts pretty difficult as they entail molecular biology. PDFs available for each lecture (good to print off to refer to as the lecture progresses). I intend doing it again this autumn (2022) when he plans on running it again. Also some talk of him doing 'Viruses Live' which would be the next step up, each lecture would focus on a particular virus.

I did find it difficult concentration-wise on some days, but you can of course watch it again afterwards if you miss bits or want to go over some of it.

halcyon

Little motors in the mitochondria... I don't want to live a life dependent on little motors in the mitochondria. I'm out.
We probably shouldn't tell you about the little ATPase ion pumps (that account for much of your basal energy consumption, 30-70%, depending on the cell type) keeping you alive then.

Pyrrhus

Computer model of a bacterium:
Mycoplasma are tiny bacteria that lack some of the bells-and-whistles of larger bacteria. Because of this, they mostly live inside human cells so that they can make use of the resources to be found in human cells.

Because of their small size, their exterior can now be modeled down to the atomic scale! Take a look at the following video and see if you can determine which of the exterior proteins are actually pores or channels:

Rufous McKinney

Just a little bit o' evolution for ya:

recently watched this amazing presentation on how the whole planet was frozen, except for maybe one tiny spot near the equator...(see Snowpiercer, fictional version)...and it was SPONGES that saved life on this planet.

Personally, I"ve loved sponges since the first moment I met one. Sponges are a group of one celled critters, who got organized.