Fun with science videos

Pyrrhus

ATP synthesis in the mitochondrial membrane:
Note that the ATP Synthase enzyme is embedded in the inner membrane of the mitochondria, with a hollow core inside the enzyme. Hydrogen ions (positively charged) accumulate on the positively charged side of the membrane, and flow through the ATP Synthase enzyme to the negatively charged side of the membrane, generating ATP in the process.
(computer animation)

seamyb

Riiiight.

Well CFS is no longer a mystery. The real mystery is how so many people don't have CFS.

Little motors in the mitochondria... I don't want to live a life dependent on little motors in the mitochondria. I'm out.

Pyrrhus

Introduction to Virology:
"Earth's virology professor" Vincent Racaniello is teaching his renowned introductory virology class on YouTube. Class is every Monday and Wednesday at 11:00am New York time, 16:00 London time, and 17:00 Europe time.

Full information about the class:
https://www.virology.ws/virology-live-2021/
Virology Live 2021
I’m trying an experiment in teaching – I’m going to teach my introductory virology as a livestream on YouTube. Sessions will be every Monday and Wednesday, 11 AM eastern Time. Subscribe to my YouTube channel to attend class.

Course resources
  1. You don’t need a textbook to do well in this course, but if you would like to dive into the details, I recommend Principles of Virology. Vol I: Molecular Biology, Vol. II: Pathogenesis and Control (S.J. Flint et al., Fifth Edition, ASM Press 2020). I’m one of the co-authors and Virology Live is based on this textbook.
  2. You should read virology blog for information relevant to the course.
  3. You should listen to the weekly podcast “This Week in Virology”, for lively discussions about virology with multiple hosts.
  4. Slides (pdf) will be posted at this website before each class.
  5. If you missed the livestream, the video will always be available on YouTube.