• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

From sleep to full awakening in a second - wake-up problems, help!

MartinK

Hi all, I did some small, but great improvement in last months, Im so happy. Unfortunately everything is not perfect - here is a new big problem what really limited me on my way of healing - sleep/awakening disorder...something like "cortisol or adrenaline shock".

It looks like I'm sleeping quite well, but every day something wake me early in the morning to a 100% conscious state in a second - it's almost like a shock...from full sleep to full awakening.
Then I can't fall asleep again even with some drug, because the body is extremely "energized" and no calm.

It almost always happens exactly after sleeping 7 hours. But I need to sleep 9/10 hours- less = PEM. Now I'm in consistent PEM due this! :-/

Any advice what to do please? It limits me extremely! According to tests, my cortisol is usually rather low in the morning...
I read here something about "Seriphos" @Mary ? I'm only on Mirtazapine + Quetiapin for long time - this makes my sleep better.

Paradox thing - early this month I started DNRS - this program makes me really calm and cool, in a great mood. It comes to me as the best support for calming and relieving the nervous system and brain. But then I don't understand these morning shocks !!! it doesn't make sense at all together...

All recommendations and tips welcome, thanks Martin

Last edited:
Your relate is perfect. Feel like It was a description of me now.

Im passing through this at this exact moment with Ozone therapy. First, I would wake up super energized and concious that I should wake up, then (4 days later so far) I cant sleep anymore. 3-4 hours sleep a day. In abstract, Im energized and extremely exhausted due to sleep deprivation ALL day.

MartinK

Hi @glazevedx ...any new success? My sleep is little bit better with more DNRS training. Looks like a effect on my nervous system.

I hope more answers come also from others.

Hi, @MartinK
Yeah, Um doing very well. I can have a normal life when I do Ozone. If It didnt, I'd be out of the bed just 4 hours a day. The unique problem is that I cant return studying coz my fatigue is mental the most. Please, tell me How you are doing with dnrs in If possible.

I returned sleeping after a week without Ozone. Im doing Just 2-3 times a week now.

Last edited:

MartinK

Hi all, sleep problems continue, I need some help, any advice if you have solved the same problem as me.

I've found that I've slept much better in the last 2 months when I have PEM - probably due to higher fatigue during day. Once the first day my PEM disappears, I can't sleep and wake up soon - it causes another PEM, literally a cascade. So it is impossible for me to leave PEM :-(

Im now on 30 mg mirtazapine and 25 mg quetiapin. Doing DNRS. As an emergency solution I have ready half of zolpidem. When I wake up early I'll take it for some chance of more sleeping, but it works only sporadic.

I don't know how to get out of PEM, I'm really exhausted. Sleep works against me! :-(

Marylib

That's the first symptom I ever had. I described it like being deep underwater and something pushing me rapidly towards the surface. Wide awake. No delicious drowsy feeling to put me back to sleep as long as I wanted. That was in 1992, so I don't know how to help you other than search the forum for possible sleep meds or various techniques that work for you. At certain times, I have 'budgeted' 12 hours for sleep, hoping to get some restorative sleep within that 12 hours without too much medication, but the refreshing sleep is ever elusive. I wish you the best of luck at finding something that works for you. I basically have an array of meds I choose from and rotate them, so they don't stop working. When I was healthy, I always needed 9 hours of sleep to cope with working long hours. But that was actual, normal sleep. With medication, I don't feel alert until later in the day, when the meds have worn off, if that makes sense. People say it's a dysregulation of the cortisol hormone. The old HPA axis - hypothalamus, pituitary, adrenal. If you get out of PEM and find what works for you, then you can probably count yourself recovered from whatever this array of symptoms are - and it's a huge array. People do recover. Others relapse/remit. Sleep is my holy grail to this day.