• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Freddd protocol - when to start Carnitine?

Hi,

From the guides I've read on the Freddd protocol, it is not really clear when to start L-Carnitine. Please could I have some advice on this?

Do I have to reach 15-20mg of MeB12 / 10mg of AdB12 before starting Caritine, or can I start it sooner?

I'm currently on 3mg MB12 daily, with AdB12 once a week, but am tolerating it all fairly well so am accelerating dosages quite quickly.

Thanks,
Graham

Busson

From the guides I've read on the Freddd protocol, it is not really clear when to start L-Carnitine. Please could I have some advice on this?

@g-man I too would like to know this.

I started carnitine quite early because it seemed to help quite a lot and never stopped it. I think the idea is to start B12 and then adjust potassium with various B vitamins until things are stable. I believe carnitine comes after that.

What exactly is the carnitine supposed to help with? Is it for mitochondria? I tried it for a few days it helped my ibs constipation but floored my mood which I think is to do with it turning into acetyl choline?

What exactly is the carnitine supposed to help with? Is it for mitochondria? I tried it for a few days it helped my ibs constipation but floored my mood which I think is to do with it turning into acetyl choline?
Hi wiltedflower77,

It does help the mitochondria and energy production.

I too got very down initially when I tried anything that might help the mitochondria (e.g. NT Factor, ADB12, just one drop of L-Carnitine). However, stick with it and you will break through it.

I gave it a break for a week, then tried liquid carnitine in combination with a different B12 (Better You spray) and took half a ADB12 every day and within a week I was over the glooms.

Now I feel much better! My muscles have loads more energy and I'm sleeping alot better too. However, I'm having to be careful of edema and take lots of folate.

@g-man I too would like to know this.

I started carnitine quite early because it seemed to help quite a lot and never stopped it. I think the idea is to start B12 and then adjust potassium with various B vitamins until things are stable. I believe carnitine comes after that.

Thanks. I don't think that I had truly stabalised on folate and potassium before I then decided to take the carnitine.

I was on Solgar MB12 and it was a mad rollercoater. I'm now using the Better you B12 spray and find it alot more managable and its enabled me to learn how to balance my follate/potassium.

I was also using ALCAR initially, but have switched to liquid carnitine and find that alot better; ALCAR was blanking out my mind a bit, in a sort or cabbage/demented way. I will try it again later.