• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Forgetting Important Information

First off, sorry if this isn't in the right place to post this, I couldn't really decide where to do it.

My brain fog is acting up so badly, and its been getting worse and worse over the last few months. I've gone from remembering exactly what college classes I had and when to barely remembering anything about the experience as a whole. (I left in October but I'd still expect to remember something.)

The worst part is that I've forgotten the names of some people I got on really well with. I've spent two weeks writing every piece of related information down but I've got the names of people I don't really want to contact rather than the ones I care about.

Now I'm planning a trip back there to see them specifically (luckily I can remember a single class time so I can catch them) but it would be so awkward to turn up without even remembering their names. I'm hoping to keep in contact into the future, so I'd feel terrible to admit it since they don't know I'm ill. I remember how they acted and why I enjoyed their company, but just not the names.

Anyone else forget the important things but remember useless, trivial information? (Like I remember what I wore on my first day.) If so, how do you handle it?

Wayne

Anyone else forget the important things but remember useless, trivial information?

Hi @Macatas

Yeah, I've actually been "accused" of knowing some of the most offbeat, obscure things, but not knowing everyday kinds of things that most people are aware of. It also usually takes me "forever" to notice when my wife puts up something new in the house. I mean sometimes years!

I can't really offer much in the way of solutions, except to rest as well as you can. Getting the best rest and sleep I can muster, and eating as healthily as I can, are generally the best ways I've found to keep my cognitive function as in tact as possible.

BTW, I think your cognitive function was working quite well when you chose this forum to start this thread. :thumbsup:

alkt

not funny but I spent a decade in denial about my cognative problems .pretty much just called every male john and said hello without mentioning names. I would hear parts of conversations but not the whole thing and likewise end up saying the second part of something whilst completely skipping the first part. all without realising it .

Hi @Macatas

Yeah, I've actually been "accused" of knowing some of the most offbeat, obscure things, but not knowing everyday kinds of things that most people are aware of. It also usually takes me "forever" to notice when my wife puts up something new in the house. I mean sometimes years!

I can't really offer much in the way of solutions, except to rest as well as you can. Getting the best rest and sleep I can muster, and eating as healthily as I can, are generally the best ways I've found to keep my cognitive function as in tact as possible.

BTW, I think your cognitive function was working quite well when you chose this forum to start this thread. :thumbsup:

not funny but I spent a decade in denial about my cognative problems .pretty much just called every male john and said hello without mentioning names. I would hear parts of conversations but not the whole thing and likewise end up saying the second part of something whilst completely skipping the first part. all without realising it .

Thanks for your replies! I didn't realise these problems were getting so bad until I read this article and could relate to every single thing.

https://themighty.com/2016/07/types-of-brain-fog-from-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/

It actually made me pretty sad to read. I thought that besides my physical issues I was still functioning semi-normally, but clearly not.

I haven't left the house in two weeks and I've been either sleeping or resting the whole time, and I try hard to eat healthy anyway, so I don't know what else to do to improve the symptoms. At this point, if I could just remember the name of the friend I'm trying to visit on Monday I'll be happy. I can remember the full names of loads of people I barely knew, but the one person I really want to contact, I'm completely stumped on the name. I have a vague idea, but knowing my luck, the name I'm guessing is completely wrong.

Alkt, I do that too! Sometimes I'll say something then forget that I said it and say it again, or do something then not be sure whether I've done it only a minute later. It really sucks!

That, plus my newly-discovered major clumsiness is making my life pretty difficult right now.

Dmitri

My long-term memory can be very precise about irrelevant details from many years ago, and it has provoked surprised and weird reactions from others in the past. On the other hand, I forget many things that are of need in the present moment, and my short term/working memory is poor and fogged up, making mathematics especially difficult.

Lolo

I have found fish oils helpful with my memory and working brain. And now I am eating only meat which increases fat eaten, my mind is brighter and clearer - just need more energy now.

I didn't read all of this because it's long but the first sentence says "The brain thrives on a fat-rich, low-carbohydrate diet, which unfortunately is relatively uncommon in human populations today," he (David Perlmutter)says. From Grain Brian.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...lthy-diet-could-be-quietly-killing-your-brain

Dechi

I have really bad working memory. I cannot remember what I did a few seconds before if am doing more than one single thing at a time.

I went to the ME collaborative conference in Montreal and the whole thing is a blur. I remember very little.

So yes, this problem is very common with ME patients, since the brain is injured.