• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Foods high in antioxidants/ORAC value list? My way to recovery

Timaca

I agree 100%! It was the change in your gut microbiota or bacteria, from the antibacterial effects of the herbs that led to you recovering your health.

I am getting good improvements from much lower doses of herbs. I am slowly increasing the amount I am taking though, to speed up the process.

I really appreciate you sharing your experience.:thumbsup:
Hi Jim~ I wonder if you are still taking the herbs and spices and what your update is. Thanks for sharing.

brenda

Brenda Davis, RD is awesome also. I also really like to watch anything by Kim Williams MD, cardiologist. Also, you and @Monty79 might be interested to watch some of the speakers on the upcoming (starting tomorrow) Food Revolution Summit: https://www.foodrevolutionsummit.org/

Timaca I came off the plant based SOS diet as it was doing a number on my thyroid and adrenals. I was fine for a year but then the bad effects came in. I think it also made my histamine intolerance worse so am trying to sort that out now on a low histemine diet.

I also don't like the hungry look on some of these vegans faces and Jon McMahon does not look so good. They all get that ravaged face.

Timaca

@brenda ~
Hi Brenda~ Sorry to hear that you weren't feeling well from a plant based diet. I do eat salt and on occasion very small amounts of olive oil. I do avoid sugar, but will use small amounts of maple syrup in baking (eg 2 tablespoons in 12 muffins).

I also had histamine intolerance but that has largely resolved. I actually found that animal meat (except for very fresh fish) was too high in histamine for me to eat, so that is one of the many reasons I now avoid it.

I'm not sure why my histamine intolerance improved....was it probiotics? Avoiding certain foods that allowed my gut to heal? Not sure. The last time I had a problem was last summer when I was on a cruise ship. I ate a LOT of cooked spinach and later felt itchy. I realized then what had happened. Cooked spinach is of course much more spinach than raw....

I hope you find some answers for yourself!!

Best,

ljimbo423

Hi Jim~ I wonder if you are still taking the herbs and spices and what your update is. Thanks for sharing.

Hi Timaca- I'm still taking a bunch of different herbs and spices. I'm taking the equivalent of about 12-14 grams a day of whole herbs. As both whole herbs and herbal extracts. Also on a low carb diet, taking pro and pre-biotics and glutamine to help heal my gut. Throwing everything at it but the kitchen sink!

I continue to improve and my symptoms, for the most part are mild now, unless I push myself into PEM. Considering I've been disabled with CFS for 30 years and for several years I was mostly bedridden, I can't complain at all!:):thumbsup:

Like Monty, I'm convinced my gut is the cause of my CFS and hopefully, like Monty, I will also fully recover.:)

Timaca

Hi Timaca- I'm still taking a bunch of different herbs and spices. I'm taking the equivalent of about 12-14 grams a day of whole herbs. As both whole herbs and herbal extracts. Also on a low carb diet, taking pro and pre-biotics and glutamine to help heal my gut. Throwing everything at it but the kitchen sink!

I continue to improve and my symptoms, for the most part are mild now, unless I push myself into PEM. Considering I've been disabled with CFS for 30 years and for several years I was mostly bedridden, I can't complain at all!:):thumbsup:

Like Monty, I'm convinced my gut is the cause of my CFS and hopefully, like Monty, I will also fully recover.:)

Jim~ That is wonderful that you are improving! Do you mind sharing what herbs and spices you are taking? Is there a specific probiotic that you are taking or do you rotate? Thanks for sharing!

ljimbo423

Jim~ That is wonderful that you are improving! Do you mind sharing what herbs and spices you are taking?

Thank you. It gives me a lot of hope to see myself slowly but consistently improving!

I'm taking clove, oil of oregano, olive leaf extract, neem, ceylon cinnamon, thyme, cumin and holy basil.

Is there a specific probiotic that you are taking or do you rotate? Thanks for sharing!

I take this probiotic. I called the company to make sure they keep them refrigerated before they ship them and they do. I buy VSL3# during the hot summer months because it's shipped in a Styrofoam container with ice packs.

Your welcome, happy to help!:)

Timaca

Yes, it is awesome to see improvements!! Thanks for sharing Jim! Because of everyone's posts, I am now eating broccoli sprouts, and I got my ground cloves out of my spice cabinet!! :) I am going to be more consistent about eating thyme, oregano, cinnamon, cumin and basil. And I might even start measuring and weighing as you all do. But for now, I will start small and go from there. Hoping to be able to hike the Grand Canyon again someday, which is where some of my family members are right now.

ljimbo423

Yes, it is awesome to see improvements!! Thanks for sharing Jim! Because of everyone's posts, I am now eating broccoli sprouts, and I got my ground cloves out of my spice cabinet!! :) I am going to be more consistent about eating thyme, oregano, cinnamon, cumin and basil. And I might even start measuring and weighing as you all do. But for now, I will start small and go from there.

Sounds like a good plan! Especially starting small and going from there. It has taken me months to get to the amount of herbs I'm taking every day now without issue.

Hoping to be able to hike the Grand Canyon again someday, which is where some of my family members are right now.

I encourage you to hold onto that hope and goal through both the good days and the hard days.:)

Hope can be a very powerful motivator. If it wasn't for hope, I would still be mostly bedridden instead living the quality of life I have now! :):thumbsup:

David Jackson

Hi @Timaca,

Yes, doing well.

A month ago, I read Arnold Ehret's Muscusless Diet work. Very motivated by it. I consider it some of the best health info out there. Have started changing things around according to it, and seeing great results.

Have given up all the beans and grains. Daily diet now goes something like this:

Meal 1: fresh juice of apples, carrots, ginger, beetroot, cucumber, celery.

Meals 2 & 3 : smoothies, comprising of apples and beetroot pulp from the earlier juice, dates, bananas, cinnamon, turmeric, citris bioflavonoids, coconut, berries and lots and lots of feijoas (it's feijoa season where I am).

Final meal: vegetable dish comprised of cruciferous veg and dark leafy greens, either baked potato or pumpkin and an enormous salad.

Probably around 80% raw. Very easy on the digestion. Not very much salt in there at all. Significant improvement from changing to this.

Do a search for 'Mucusless diet'... read the pfd... it's a book by Arnold Ehret that came out about a hundred years ago. I highly recommend. See if it resonates with you.

Timaca

@David Jackson ~ Thanks for your reply. I am glad that you have seen some good improvements!! I will check into the Mucusless diet. One thing that concerns me about your diet (well actually a few things...) if you are getting enough Vit B12, protein and iodine. Dr. Kim Williams (who I really like--he's a cardiologist--past president of the American College of Cardiology)--he shared in a recent talk that his mother (who has to be in her 80s because he is 60) ended up being hospitalized for following an entirely raw diet and not getting enough of the the essential amino acids. He discusses it briefly in his talk which should be out soon. You can find it at this site: http://www.therealtruthabouthealthconference.com/ I watched it when it aired in January and I'm going to enjoy watching the replays. Including his talk. I would also suggest that you watch Brenda Davis's talk when it comes out as you might glean some information to make your diet a little more complete so you don't run into vitamin or mineral deficiencies. Yay for feeling better!!!

I will mention that Dr. Williams mother still eats a raw diet, just tweaked so she gets all the essential amino acids. You would have to listen to his talk for specifics....

Last edited:

Timaca

I just listened to a talk that is only available for free until tomorrow around 8 a.m. PST. It is by two PhDs, the Sonnenburgs, who study the gut microbiota at Stanford. The talk can be found here. They have written a book.
And their website is here.

Since we are all interested in our gut, I wanted to post this information.

I ate a small amount of cloves today (beginning to add more spices to my diet). :)

Thank you. It gives me a lot of hope to see myself slowly but consistently improving!

I'm taking clove, oil of oregano, olive leaf extract, neem, ceylon cinnamon, thyme, cumin and holy basil.
I take this probiotic. I called the company to make sure they keep them refrigerated before they ship them and they do. I buy VSL3# during the hot summer months because it's shipped in a Styrofoam container with ice packs.
Hi Jim and all,

wow, I'm so glad for you you're feeling so much better! :hug: Like you I'm convinced my gut was the cause of my CFS.

I just wanted to add the suggestion, if anybody doesn't have the money at their disposal for expensive probiotic supplements, I'm making my own homemade milk kefir with real grains for many years now. It's the most probiotic food out there, it contains much more probiotic strains than can be found in any supplement. I know dairy products have a really bad reputation, but to me milk kefir was a real life-saver together with the herbs and spices mentioned in this thread.

I bought my milk kefir grains for 2 bucks on ebay many years ago, and they are still super healthy, growing and giving me my probiotics for my muesli every day. :) Just thought I would share for people who can't afford expensive probiotic supplements.

wow, I'm so glad for you you're feeling so much better! :hug: Like you I'm convinced my gut was the cause of my CFS.
Hi Monty,
Are you still taking the magic spices, and still in remission/recovery from CFS?
I was wondering if you had found more creative ways of "eating" them, as I don't see myself putting clove, turmeric etc direcly in my mouth :eek:

Also, how long did it take before you saw improvements in your energy level?

do you think your diet also played a role? What was it/is it like?

Last edited: