• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Folate supplementation works for Restless Legs Syndrome!

pattismith

-I take iron supplementation for RLS without any improvement (for 4 months)

-Since I started Duloxetine, RLS became far worse (because of increase norepinephrine and muscle tone)

- If I take 1 mg of methylfolate, my RLS is totally fixed 1 hour after (it stops suddenly) and it's back about 12 hours later...

That's amazing!

pattismith

Interesting. Where in the range did your folate level sit in a blood test before starting the supplement?
I don't know the level I had before starting, but probably fine, as I supplement with folates from time to time (but I never noticed any effect from supplementation neither bad or good)...

Last Sunday I took Betahistine during the day and methylfolate 1 mg (life extension) in the evening and I didn't get my RLS during that night. I was not expecting any effect since I take regularly these two without any change on my RLS.

It's the first time I take them together while supplementing with iron, so I guess there was some combined effect that I Don't yet understand.

Yesterday evening I took Methylfolate (but no Betahistine at all that day), and again i got free of RLS yesterday evening.

This morning I checked my blood folates = 16.4 µg/l (normal ranges 3 to 20)

I took then Methylfolate morning /midday/evening, but got not complete relief from my RLS in midday when I laid down....

I take the iron in the evening so this might do some difference, I need to experiment more before reaching some understanding.

Iron and Folates are considered two important factors to prevent RLS in pregnant women, so this combination is likely to be the core of the problem...