• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Five ways to reduce your ME/CFS "wired but tired" hyperaroused brain state

alcasa

Glutamate +ATP pantheist
I also have generalized anxiety with an edge on social anxiety that come with my PTSD package. Things do get very tricky but over the past few years and recently I've been able to really dissect what is going on because wired and tired PEM and purely mentally stemming symptoms go hand in hand which will make each other worse. IF my brain signalling is under control even if I encounter a trigger I will get a little jolt with noticeable tension in the usual areas of my body but it won't spiral into that signature PEM "I'm going to lose my mind" feeling when I an't escape a stressful situation. It's as if my brain doesn't have any break system on it and when a strong enough signal erupts with excitation everything can go haywire with intense generalized anxiety and increased trigger reactivity very quickly. If it gets too bad I will get complete social dysfunction with vocal/communication difficulties, and need to sit alone in quiet environment for a long while to reset myself. This depending on how severe that over excitation was can take many hours, sometimes I won't get a good break till the next day. This will even happen with good feelings of excitation, it's not limited to just being triggered in another way.

It will also trigger immune reactions and flu like symptoms when it gets that high. I'm not sure what is really going on under the surface though. It FEELS like the over excitation is continuously reactivating a virus or some kind of infection. I have had mental windows of feeling "normal" before socially and mentally but these are extremely rare. The last time this happened was I kid you not when I ate some bad scallops and got food poisoning. I didn't feel good overall but my social communication got massive improvements including my vocal problems, my anxiety levels dropped to almost nothing save for what my triggers did at a baseline which was manageable with some manual self reasoning, my sensory issues just disappeared, and work was a breeze because of how low the PEM level got. When I got home I just started wondering what to do next and how productive I was going to be, everything was suddenly so much brighter. Unfortunately the next day and forward as I recovered it all creeped back in indistinguishable from before.
My friend…

When my disease started 6 years ago I had EXACLY the same symptoms you have now and, I should say… I’m now pretty sure it’s a glutamate thing

Dysfunkion

My friend…

When my disease started 6 years ago I had EXACLY the same symptoms you have now and, I should say… I’m now pretty sure it’s a glutamate thing

I'm sure it plays a a big role but say for example if I consume a lot of it in food it doesn't specifically trigger much but making me feel more wired and anxious in a background fashion though. I think if it is a major culprit anyways then I think it's being released in the brain in such high quantities somehow that no amount of food consumed can match that release and the body has a hard time disposing of it creating a bunch of downstream problems. I also have an idea that ammonia and lactic acid also play a role in the mess that in some way the if it is a major component to what is happening just adds more fuel to the glutamate fire.

Back